SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
phoggie

Something that I saw this morning.,,

phoggie
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

That it might be good to remember instead of spreading all the hate that some are sharing...and me also if I

have ever offend anyone.

Comments (44)

• eld6161
    5 years ago

Phoggie, it would be nice if people could take this sentiment to heart.

So true Chi. I have to be honest, I was disappointed in both these choices.

Every day things get more and more frustrating.

But, I refuse to spew hate. I avoid talking politics with those I know will oppose me. The climate of today is just not rational.

phoggie thanked eld6161
  • Related Discussions

A little something I saw today...

Q

Comments (18)
    ...or something completely different! LOL! Too many variables with weather, hot/cool, early season, late season, new cutting vs. established plant, etc. etc. But whatever it is. WOW! LOVE IT!
    ...See More

Look what I saw out the front window this morning

Q

Comments (4)
    Yes Rhonda...I will have to watch her...that bird is bigger than my Yorkie..and she's not a tiny one. I think she is about 7 pounds.
    ...See More

Look what I saw this morning. (4 pics)

Q

Comments (22)
    Baby animals are so darling! I'm always amazed by the deer that live right alongside the expressways here. We have forest preserves strung along through Chicago and suburbs where all sorts of 'wild things' are living pretty much as they did before we got here. We've returned big snapping turtles to the creek and have a great heron who nests alongside it every summer. Coyotes howl. Once in a while there's an owl hooting at dusk. I think our climate is warming. Twice I've seen a bluebird in our yard, gathering nesting materials. I have NEVER seen one before! I'd like to know what's making holes in our lawn -- about four inches diameter, carefully 'disguised' with a leaf across the opening. This is new too!
    ...See More

Here's something shocking I saw today for you wild animal lovers...

Q

Comments (29)
    The cat would not go in my traps, and now I don't know where she is. I haven't seen her in months. Probably eaten by an owl,along with her babies. I did catch a fox and a raccoon. Neither were pleased... There are no free spay/neuter programs here and none that are reduced rate that are not obnoxious. But i did try to trap her. I can't be in a car with cats because my eyes swell shut but my sister would have driven her to the vet for me. It's easier just to pay for it myself. Trapped this one at work the other night for a truck driver. He said he would have it fixed and he and his wife wanted to attempt to make it into a housecat. It's a mean little thing. I think it will probably make a better barn cat. As long as there aren't any owls lurking.....
    ...See More
  • moonie_57 (8 NC)
    5 years ago

"it's no longer a difference in politics for me, but a difference in morals. And that's far more difficult to reconcile."

I agree completely.

phoggie thanked moonie_57 (8 NC)
  • mamapinky0
    5 years ago

People should not be judged based on their political beliefs.

phoggie thanked mamapinky0
  • lucillle
    5 years ago

Some years ago I had a neighbor who was unbelievably and unapologetically racist. We would talk in our front yards like neighbors do but I would simply walk away when he started his diatribes.

I agree with Chi, and I do judge people who spew hate for others based on skin color or sexual preference, and choose not to develop close relationships with such people.

phoggie thanked lucillle
  • wildchild2x2
    5 years ago

I have have many friends and even family of different political persuasions. I don't know a single person in real life who is as divisive and hateful as the internet would have us believe. Well I do know one but she went from being on one side to a die hard reversal after suffering a stroke. So her outbursts are to be tolerated out of kindness.

But the people in my world simply agree to disagree. Some are able to discuss differences with civility,some prefer not to say anything at all. It's that simple. Most of us find that when we do talk there is far more we agree on than disagree. The radicals really don't have the power they think they do or that the media likes to hype up.

For every hate spewing, name calling Hot Topics type or other nutty website poster there are countless other who either just lurk or have left entirely in disgust. Most people just want to get along.

phoggie thanked wildchild2x2
  • Uptown Gal
    5 years ago

I agree, Chi.....100%. And, personally...I'm not "judging people on their political beliefs"...my family members are all different. I am judging on the nastiness and lie after

lie. If you don't....IMHO...you are just like them, and part of the downfall of

this beautiful Country.

phoggie thanked Uptown Gal
  • arcy_gw
    5 years ago

I continue to be SHOCKED at the on going hate that is stirred up, spewed, rallied behind over one election. In the history of elections a LARGE number of voters lose every time. This is the first round I recall where the "disappointment" has lasted THIS LONG, has taken on a life of its own had inspired daily if not hourly attacks on a sitting president. Civil discourse calls for an expression of ideas and ideals without feeling personally attacked or judged. In two years those that dislike the outcome of the most recent election, can try anew to elect a different leader. Until then can't we all just find a way to get along? The OFFICE needs to be respected and America really needs to show a better side to the rest of the world. They are watching. We have become a laughing stock and we have done it to ourselves. Truth is it isn't about whose in charge it is about the moral fabric of our country. Many of us are frightened by the changes that have happened in a fairly short time. Relativism has taken over where for hundreds/thousands of year Judeo-Christian principals guided us. We are not better for it.

phoggie thanked arcy_gw
  • Sammy
    5 years ago

I couldn’t agree more with the sentiment of those words, phoggie.

phoggie thanked Sammy
  • Jasdip
    5 years ago

When you've got MSM contantly airing their hatred for President Trump, they just light the fires and keeping the fight going. The likes of SNL should be pulled off the air. I still say that if anyone remotely trashed Obama the way they do Trump, they'd probably be shut down. Yet it's a constant. That horrible "comedian" who held a head resembling Trump, so-called celebrities threatening to kill him, why aren't they charged??

phoggie thanked Jasdip
  • OutsidePlaying
    5 years ago

Phoggie and arcy and jasdip....I agree with all of you.

We have had sitting presidents who have had poor morals in the past and everyone just sat back and let it go. This hatred and trashing of a president must cease.

phoggie thanked OutsidePlaying
  • eld6161
    5 years ago

And, what we should be doing now is strategizing about the candidates for our next election.

It is no surprise to the world at large what a shock it was that Trump won this election.

I agree with Jasdip. What good does all this bashing do?

phoggie thanked eld6161
  • Chi
    5 years ago

I think people are more sensitive when their preferred candidate is the target. There was *plenty* of Obama-bashing during his presidency. Sadly a lot of it had to do with things outside of his presidential actions, like his race, name and birthplace. The reactions to Trump are mostly based on things he has literally said and done. There is a big difference.

My uncle hated Obama and posted anti-Obama items on Facebook every day but when someone posts anti-Trump sentiments, he calls them a snowflake and a whiny cry baby, and tells them to get over it. He refuses to see the blatant hypocrisy.

• sjerin
    5 years ago

Chi, you have a wonderful way with words. :) I think it bears repeating that people are not upset with who the president is, but rather what he has done and continues to do. Good posts, Chi.

phoggie thanked sjerin
  • Chi
    5 years ago

Thank you, sjerin! What a nice thing to say.

• User
    5 years ago

Jasdip, your proposal would completely infringe on our democracy and our right to free speech, so I totally disagree that SNL and other shows should be pulled off the air. Was it right for the comedian to do what she did. NO. Of course not, but is it right for frumpy to separate children from their parents, or to hatefully attack people on twitter or to discriminate against specific groups of people? NO It is most definately NOT! People are led by example and it’s that top position that sets the tone for this country. This is on him and him alone and he’s certainly good at knowing how to bring out the ugly in people.

I have a family member who I’ve always loved and looked up to that voted for frumpy. I’m very disapppointed and I can’t help but to see her a bit differently than I did before. We talk often, however, she’ll never know how I feel because above it all I still love her and I respect her right to vote as she chooses to.

IMO voting is a personal choice. Every single one of us should respect another’s right to choose. It’s ok and even healthy to have honest debate, but it’s wrong to hate another just because you disagree with their political choices. I have a coworker who isn’t speaking to her mother or sister because of who they voted for which is sad.

What I’ve found when I’ve had conversations with people who voted for him is that they are every day run of the mill folks. They don’t watch the news beyond weather and/or sports and they’re not engaged in the happenings of the country. IOW, they voted without doing any research and without knowing the candidate they were voting for, my family member included. This is what’s so disappointing to me. How can you vote without knowing who or what you are voting for?

• nicole___
    5 years ago

Shooting the planes pilot does not unite the planes crew.

phoggie thanked nicole___
  • Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

I think the passage cited in the first post meanders and misses the point. Of course, all kinds of people vote for all kinds of candidates. That's not enlightening and the world continues to happen daily. The REAL issue in my mind is how Republicans can continue to turn a blind eye, ignoring the lies, corruption, hypocrisy, and real threats to our democracy happening almost daily in the current administration.

I presume the Trump supporters who are ultra religious have learned some versions of morality and principles of honesty/integrity in the teachings they like to follow so closely. Have these been locked up and put aside so as not to take issue with what's happening? That's a huge crime being committed too. Standards and expectations for public officials have been thrown out the window?

"I continue to be SHOCKED at the on going hate that is stirred up, spewed, rallied behind over one election."

No, this is a red herring too. The only person who has continued to talk about the election long after it passed is Trump. His narcissism (don't his supporters see that) is to blame.

What I like is that foreign leaders are having none of his nonsense and are pushing the US off. The way it's shaping up, the only leaders who will engage with Trump are the dictators, Kim and Putin. He's too stupid to see what's happening. Are any of you Republicans concerned about that?

• User
    5 years ago

Elmer, well said! I agree completely.

• User
    5 years ago

I agree with you Phoggie. Separate the person from their politics. My daughter has very different political beliefs than her father and I do, but she is the most kind, sweet person you will ever meet. So are her inlaws!

phoggie thanked User
  • chisue
    5 years ago

'My' candidate hasn't always won, but 'the other guy' acted responsibly. Mr. Trump prefers dictators over other world leaders. He wants to be one. I fear the man.

phoggie thanked chisue
  • mamapinky0
    5 years ago

I didn't think this post was so much about DT but more about how folks that voted for him are treated.

I didn't vote for DT, but I would never treat others that have with anything less than respect based on who they chose as President.

• terilyn
    5 years ago

phoggie thanked terilyn
  • DawnInCal
    5 years ago

I doubt that I can truly articulate how I feel about what is happening in the US these days. While I can appreciate the sentiment of what phoggie has posted, I don't think it's going to be that easy or simple to bring people back together again.

If I were to describe myself, I'd say that I'm fairly moderate in most of my views and leaning somewhat to the left although there are a few areas where I tend to go more to the conservative side. I feel that I'm open m rdinded and willing to listen to other people's views and ideas even if I don't agree with all of them. I think there are a lot of people like me regardless of whether or not they are democrats, republicans, a member of a third party or unaffiliated. That's how things get done, by listening, talking and being willing to compromise.

Like Chi, I have a relative who is a Trump supporter. I always knew that this person was conservative in their views, but since Trump came on the scene she has gone so far to the right that I feel I no longer know who she is. It's like aliens took over her body.

If anyone disagrees with her, she gets beyond angry. Last time I saw her, she said some pretty horrible things to me and my husband. She later apologized and while I accepted the apology, there is now a part of me that knows what she really thinks of us and there is no getting around that. Our relationship has been damaged and I don't know that it will ever be the same again.

On a larger scale the same thing is happening to the country. Much of it won't soon be forgotten and I'm not sure some of the damage can ever be undone. I find it incredibly sad and depressing that it's come to this and wish there was some easy fix, but I'm highly doubtful about that. Being kinder and gentler to each other and stopping all the insults and name calling might be a start, but the problems we now face go much deeper than that and it's going to take a very long time to heal the wounds that have opened up. Those scars run deep and they won't quickly fade away and be forgotten. I wish I could be more optimistic, but I'm just not feeling it at this point in time.

• User
    5 years ago

I know a Bob and Sally. Sally said she never knew Bob harbored such views. They separated because of the election and are now divorced.

Bob is lonely and sad now. Poor Bob.

• bleusblue2
    5 years ago

The Bob and Sally cartoon is patronizing. The political division isn't among people who are not adults. Our family, like most Americans, is very divided politically. It's hard to talk to each other about politics. We keep trying but it has never been so impossible as it is now. We love each other and don't mistreat each other. In the wider circle of friends it's the same. I don't personally know of anybody losing friends over this -- but it's harder and harder to understand each other in this political climate.

• clearwaters
    5 years ago

Would that this national nightmare were simply a difference of opinion. This is a systematic dismantling of the core values upon which this Republic was founded.

This country is now being led by a person who vilifies our friends and praises dictators. This is someone who finds qualities to admire in neo Nazis, but is comfortable ripping infants from the arms of parents. This is someone who can shove a Prime Minister (from Montenegro) out of his way so that he can be front and center for a photo op. This is someone who is trying to dismantle our justice system to guarantee himself a safe haven. This is someone who is tearing down our journalists so that those who choose to believe the rhetoric will not believe it when charges are brought against him and his family. He ignores the laws regarding nepotism. He ignores the laws against being enriched while in office.

And His Party Looks The Other Way!

This is not a difference of opinion. This is tearing apart our country and having to watch while others overlook. There's nothing about any of this that I accept. There's nothing about any of this that I can understand and I certainly can't understand that other people accept all of it.

• terilyn
    5 years ago

Never meant to be patronizing.

• bleusblue2
    5 years ago

terilyn -- I'm sure you didn't -- and you may still like it and think I'm over analysing. That's OK too.

• Sammy
    5 years ago

I have a family member who I’ve always loved and looked up to that voted for frumpy. I’m very disapppointed and I can’t help but to see her a bit differently than I did before. We talk often, however, she’ll never know how I feel because above it all I still love her and I respect her right to vote as she chooses to.

Same situation here, lukkiirish—except the family members who voted for Secretary Clinton were my older brother, my uncle and my beloved niece, all of whom I either speak to or text with nearly every day despite the miles which separate us. And, for what it’s worth, I don’t think she’s “frumpy;” I think she is well-groomed and dresses in a very tasteful manner. :)

• mamapinky0
    5 years ago

Do you think there are many people that stop loving someone based on who they voted for? I'm wondering how wide spread it is that people are judged worthy of love, and respect only based on their political preferences. I'm probably asking a silly question as surely love and respect isn't based on someone's choice of President.

• sjerin
    5 years ago

I have a friend who is almost as far apart politically as two can be, but I love her dearly and we are good friends. We don't talk politics. :)

phoggie thanked sjerin
  • Chi
    5 years ago

I think it depends. For family or long friendships, I don't think I could stop loving someone because of their politics. However, I would not pursue new friendships with people who believe so drastically differently than I do.

For the record, I'm not talking about differing opinions on tax reform or healthcare. I can deal with that. I'm talking about supporting racism, misogyny and policies that dehumanize other people and deny them basic human rights. And I do believe that anyone supporting a President who supports those things is also supporting these issues. That's not something I can easily overlook.

It is tough. I have many family members who are Trump supporters and while I love them, I'd be lying if I said I still respect them like I used to. It's difficult to respect someone close to you when you feel their morals directly conflict with your own.

• User
    5 years ago

I was just getting ready to post that it's a human rights issue. If you give unwavering support to someone who can't treat others with basic human dignity, how can I have a relationship with you? You wouldn't support someone who mistreats animals yet you support someone who mistreats people.

Trump is a deeply flawed person. That's fine in his own private life but not okay for a leader of our country.

• mamapinky0
    5 years ago

I was talking solely about a persons political preferences not how a person acts.

• chisue
    5 years ago

Thing is, this is not 'just politics' as usual. Our whole system of governance is being undermined by a despot.

• mamapinky0
    5 years ago

As I'm thinking..LOL. I did not vote for DT. Yet I am able to respect those that did....because I respect their right of choice. So far I haven't been called names but than again I don't call others names. I hope I'm judged by how I act and how I try to be a good, honest person.

I may sound silly to many of you but frankly I don't know a great deal about politics. I do know a LOT of people in my town heard one thing during campaign. .**I'm going to make America great again**. And their choice was based on that one statement.

Another thing.. because I don't pay a lot of attention to politics there's things I don't know...for instance I hear many people say ugly things about DT such as he's racist and a child molester. ...is this truth or said out of dislike??

• bleusblue2
    5 years ago

mampinky -- I'd never heard that DT is a child molester. As for being a racist -- it really doesn't matter if he personally is racist -- it matters that he says things and takes positions that racists would take and thus encourages the racists to step into the limelight because the President seems to support them. DT hasn't figured out that he is the President of ALL the people. He'd rather see us divided while his "base" cheers him on -- "go get 'em."

• wildchild2x2
    5 years ago

I saw this this morning. I know some will refuse to view it because of the source (eyeroll) but is it a very well thought out opinion. IMO

Even if you believe the worst is happening at our border, the parents and the children are being well cared for. They are being clothed, fed three meals a day, and provided housing with indoor plumbing and exercise facilities. They have medical care and they are safe from drug dealers and gangs. My God, this is the United States of America. To accuse any American of acting in the same manner Nazis treated Jews and Gays and other hated groups is beyond the pale. Just stop it. People who invoke “Nazis” as it relates to the present day demean themselves and our country as a whole.

Take a deep breath. Remember we live in the U.S.A. and be thankful and be gracious to the people with whom you disagree and then they will be gracious to you. Then vote when you have a chance for people who support your positions. That is how we settle our disagreements in this republic

https://townhall.com/columnists/brucebialosky/2018/07/01/stop-whining-about-discord-when-you-are-causing-the-discord-n2495394?utm_source=thdaily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=nl&newsletterad=

phoggie thanked wildchild2x2
  • Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

The internet permits access to unlimited sources. Anyone who wants to be better informed can read news stories (first, before Op/Ed) from any of the major sources. Two is better than one, they're mostly reasonably objective. If you don't want to pay for digital access, clear your browser's history bits and cache and restart it to get another quota of free access. It's easy enough to be informed if you can spend the time to do so. Being uninformed is also a choice.

• User
    5 years ago

What that author leaves out is that children are being separated from their parents and shipped off to places like NYC. I have heard that babies as young as six months are being removed. That is what the protests are about, not about how the immigrants are being cared for. As for the conditions, no child should be kept in a barren warehouse, caged in metal fences, and left to sleep on the floor on a mat with a mylar blanket. People who have a soul don't use children as political pawns and bargaining chips to get a piece of legislation passed.

Politics is not separate from who a person is at their core. That's why we call evangelicals "values voters", but we all vote in accordance to our values. So that's really the issue--what are your values and does trump represent them?

Mamap, Trump had a lawsuit brought against him during the election by a woman who claimed he raped her when she was thirteen. She dropped the lawsuit after he won the election--some claim she was in fear or paid off. She used the name Katie Johnson to file her first lawsuit. Snopes has a good report about it.

• golfergrrl
    5 years ago

" Anyone who wants to be better informed can read news stories (first, before Op/Ed) from any of the major sources. Two is better than one, they're mostly reasonably objective." Not hardly.

• mamapinky0
    5 years ago

Elmer..you don't need to school me nor does anyone else here. But don't tell me to go somewhere else for answers. I know I can google and its my choice. Its also my choice if I want to speak ....here.

• Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

mamap, you said you don't know much and you don't pay attention. That's fine, as I said, that's a choice. Real information is readily available for anyone who wants it. Doing erratic internet searches won't keep you better informed.

Golfergirl, there's no conspiracy against anyone or any view. Sorry if you think so, that's misinformation too.