SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_760294060

Advice/Suggestions for Wood Stain Color and Shelving Area

Bev Kehr
5 years ago

I just had my 1960's floors resurfaced and stained a medium-light gray. It turned out great but I'm not sure what to do about the closet doors in this room now which pretty much matched the old floor. There's also a short wall with shelves a similar color as the closet doors as you can see in the photos. So there's a few things I need advice on. 1) Am wondering if I should have the doors sanded and stained an espresso color to pick up the tv console and also the dining room table. It doesn't look bad now, but I'm thinking the dark stain will make it more cohesive and contemporary. Am I wrong? 2) If I do that - must I then have the railing and stairs re-stained? I've attached a photo to show the proximity to the closet doors. (I really don't want to spend the money on that!)

3) I've been wanting to replace the wallpaper behind these shelves and around the closet doors for some time. Am thinking about a brick tile facade or possibly glass, porcelain, or new wallpaper. I think I have lots of choices for that, but am also wondering what else I can do other than have horizontal shelves. They lack creativity. I've attached a view from the other direction so you can see how nice the espresso finish looks with the floor and also a photo of the floor itself with the lights off as the other photos were taken with the lights on which make them look lighter than they actually are.

Thank you in advance for your input. Even if you only have suggestions for one of these issues, don't let that stop you from replying :)

Comment (1)