SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
izzieo

Access panel on a custom range hood with liner insert?

izzieo
14 days ago

I’m struggling with the range hood for my kitchen design. I wanted something simple and minimal originally, just drywall with limewash paint perhaps. However, our cabinet supplier says we should be able to access the hood liner insert so we have included a custom hood in their contract. They build a cabinet with a magnetic front for easy access inside.

I do not want to see a cabinet because the wall is very minimal with just an open shelf on each side of the hood. I came up with a design that looks good with the hood cover being rounded on each end and covered with wood tambour (vertical reeding). It looks great but it adds over $4k to the cost apparently, which seems absurd. I am considering deleting the hood from the cabinetry scope and just getting our carpenters to build a hood box which we can put drywall on.

How important is it to have access to the inside of the hood? I don’t really want to see an access panel. I suppose the other option would be to have the cabinet maker build a box with the same magnetic cover that is paintable so I can paint it with lime wash to match the wall. It could still be a curved shape probably, but won’t have the interesting tambour look.

Comments (4)