SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nofriday

Ventilation Hood Advice: Vent-A-Hood or Miele Insert Liner

Hi folks,

I am working on a new kitchen and am primarily going with Miele appliances with a Sub-Zero refrigerator. (More details on this: [layout[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/feedback-on-galley-island-kitchen-design-and-appliances-miele-etc-dsvw-vd~4753675), appliances, and oven).

The one appliance I didn’t do a lot of research on was range hoods. Now I am trying to pick one :-).

We will be using a 36” Miele KM 6375 Induction Cooktop. It will be placed against a wall, and we are going with custom cabinets and prefer to hide the hood behind the cabinets. In other words, don’t need/want an aesthetically pleasing (or ugly) hood since it won’t be visible.

My contractor originally recommended a 400 CFM Vent-A-Hood, based on the fact that we were going induction. I worry whether that will be enough.

When I stopped by the appliance store this weekend, he recommended the Miele Dar 1130 insert ventilation liner with the Miele Dreb XXL 1100 CFM external blower. His recommendation was partially based on belief that 400 CFM was adequate, but that more would be nice. He also didn’t love the Vent-A-Hood option because he said it could be hard to clean, and recommended the Miele because of the baffle filters, and the fact that they fit easily in the Miele dishwasher we were going with.

I think we have an option for an external blower (and requisite make-up-air for a > 400 CFM model), but I am working with architect on whether we have option for 10” ducts.

I don’t necessarily do a ton of high heat cooking, but the kitchen will be placed in an open style layout near other living areas, and I have been known to grill a steak on a ripping hot cast iron skillet, so good ventilation and low noise will be important!

I am pretty green in this area, so any advice/pointers would be helpful. I guess I am trying to decide whether I should:

* Go with the Vent-a-hood

* Go with the Miele combination recommended by salesperson (who I have generally trusted on other stuff)

* Go with something else given these requirements (e.g. other reasonable external blower, insert liner options)

If there is any other information you need to know about our project, please let us know!

Thanks!

-joe

Comments (26)