SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zneret

Vent hood mounting height and duct shroud questions

zneret
5 years ago

As soon as the roof vent is installed, I plan to install a new vent hood which will replace the Faber Scirocco downdraft (which will remain in place - just won't be used as much). The particular model of hood (Vent-a-Hood NPH18 dual fan) has a suggested maximum mounting height of 30" above the cooktop.

This will be my second Vent-a-Hood - both of the approximate same basic design. The first came with my former house and I was happy with the height (unknown but judging by old photos appears to be ~24" above counter/cook top height and was probably 24" deep hood).

The difference now is that the old house had a slide in Dynasty stove which came out more than counter depth while this new house has Miele modular cooktops well within counter depth so we may have to get our heads closer in. The new hood is also 24" deep. I wonder if 30" hood clearance is adequate. We are right at average height for North Americans.

Somewhat complicating this is that we have a 15 1/4" high tile backsplash and then have a warmer shelf that is 14 15/16 or 14 31/32" high that will sit on top of this so the minimum mounting height will be just a shade above 30".

Old house - 24" above counter height?

New house and cook space

The second question I have is the duct shroud. I'm not interested in the Vent-a-Hood shroud as it is a bit massive (36" wide) and expensive (pretty much a grand). I was thinking of a 12' x 12" custom fabricated shroud that just hides the 8" duct and electrical cable. How do I mount this? I was thinking of a flange down each side and screwing this into the wall. Would sturdy anchors do or would it be better to put in 2x4s behind the wall to hold it? Same for the warming shelf. No guidance from Vent-a-Hood.

Comments (9)