SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
misscourtnie23

Refinishing Engineered Hardwood with Beveled Edge

misscourtnie23
6 years ago

I moved into a house with distressed engineered hardwood. I don't know the style but it's a bit...bold for my taste. The distressing is great for hiding scratches but the color is quite orange. The floor is about 14 years old and the previous owners had children and dogs (as do I). It's got lots of scratches which I could live with if the color was better. It's got a pretty substantial bevel which is the other part that's difficult to live with. My tiny dogs refuse to go outside to pee when it's cold and often have accidents on the floor. The bevel makes this a challenge to clean up and it's generally gross. I know the floor is Mannington brand since the original owners left a packet of information for us and according the the pamphlet, can be redone twice without compromising the surface.

I've searched the forums for information on what refinishing this type of flooring would be like because of 1) the bevels and 2) the distressing. I'm not sure how the manufacturer can claim it can be refinished twice (not refreshed, that was in a different part of the pamphlet) with the deep distressing that it has.

My questions are: Can you refinished distressed engineered hardwood? If so, will the distressing still show up or would it be gone completely? What does refinishing do to the bevel?

Comments (22)