SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fillagirl_gw

hardwood - pre-engineered or natural?

fillagirl
11 years ago

Hi, I am looking at getting hardwood in my living room and dining room. I will have 2 large area rugs over the hardwood.

I have a dilemna - put pre-engineered hardwood in OR natural hardwood (which they install "bare", then sand and stain on-site). My designer is urging me to go with the natural hardwood, as he believes it has a much more natural and organic look. However, I go to the flooring store and they tell me the pre-engineered is much better in terms of durability and longevity. I currently have the sand & stain hardwood in my family room, which I will have sanded & stained to match the new hardwood.

I looked at a new pre-engineered product that claims to be handscraped and not "uniform" looking, what they mean is more natural. I liked the look of it as it didn't seem too "perfect' looking. The price for the natural hardwood is not that much more than the pre-engineered.

I'm stumped. The natural hardwood would be nice but the sanding would not be great (I have a piano that I can't move too far away and I would need to ensure it was very well-covered if they're sanding around it). The pre-engineered looks nice and doesn't need to be sanded, but I want something classic and organic and traditional/transitional. Last bit of info - this is not a high traffic area, but could see some high heels and dog paws.

Anyone have experience/opinions in this area and what would you recommend? Thanks so much.

Comments (20)