SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ralph_zone8_nc

Pre-finished Hardwood/Eng Hardwood recommendation

ralph_zone8_nc
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

We are looking to install pre-finished hardwood for the 1st (on slab) and 2nd floor.
Does the JANKA rating really much?
We are trying to match the existing engineered wood in our dining room.
A flooring contractor said it looked like Bruce Gunstock.
All the flooring contractors have recommended Solid Hardwood for the 2nd floor and nailed-down. Has anyone installed engineered wood in the 2nd floor? And if there is a leak from the restrooms, which is more durable or easier to fix - hardwood or engineered hardwood?
The price difference between solid and engineered hardwood for 1400 sq ft is $1500- $2000. Personally doesn't seem that much of a difference , so is it worth it to go with hardwood?
To be honest, we have carpets and anything other than carpet is ok, so I don't mind saving the $2k as well but definitely don't want to go for LVP or Laminate.
Are these good brands to consider -
Bruce Gunstock Oak Smooth Engineered Hardwood - $2.59 sq ft (3/8in. Thick x 3in.)
Bruce Gunstock Oak Smooth Hardwood - $3.54 / sq ft (3/4in. Thick x 3 1/4in.) can be refinished 3 times
I have been reading all over that hardwoods can be refinished so many times, so is 3 considered many? :)
3. Bruce Hickory Chestnut Eng wood - $3.29/sq ft
4. American Spirit Molasses Hickory Smooth Solid Hardwood - 3/4in. Thick x 3 1/4in. Refnished - 2,JANKA - 1820,hardness rating 4/5
Any recommendations as to where I can get pre-finished Hardwood will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

Comments (8)