SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nanj

My experience: refinish hardwood floors with Bona Traffic

nanj
15 years ago

I thought it would be helpful to others to read about my experience with refinishing prefinished hardwood floors. I had a hard time deciding on what finish I wanted and did so much research on these forums and the internet.

- Background

Our prefinished floors were Bruce Bristol Strip, Fawn color, with the aluminum oxide finish and were installed in our home when we bought it new. With 2 Golden Retrievers, we knew hardwood was probably a mistake, but the floors were so beautiful! This particular style of floor is solid hardwood with fairly deep bevels on the sides, about 1/8 inch. Over the course of 6 years, the floors took quite a beating and looked just terrible by the time we decided to refinish. There were bazillions of dog-nail scratches in the finish (our dogs are playful) and in high-traffic areas, the finish was worn to the wood.

I will admit that I did not use the proper cleaning solutions over the years. Never did I use the manufacturers recommended cleaner. In hind sight, this was a huge mistake. Most of the years I asked my cleaning lady to use vinegar in water or a very dilute solution of non-sudsing ammonia in water. She used the Sh-Mop by The Clean Team which is an awesome mopping tool no putting dirty water on your floor. Again, these solutions were probably a big reason the finish failed.

-Research of floor finishes

After months of research on these forums, I chose to go with Bona Traffic, a water-based polyurethane finish. The contractors I talked to said it is the best on the market  the most expensive by far, but the absolute best, most durable finish. I gave serious, very serious, consideration to Waterlox. I probably would have gone with Waterlox had I been able to find a contractor who was familiar with it and could tell me more about it. Everyone on these forums who chose Waterlox raved about it, but I just couldnÂt bring myself to do it. Plus, my husband had recently gotten out of the hospital due to a serious asthma attack and the odor of Waterlox made me nervous.

Bona also has a system for dust containment during the sanding process that was definitely something I wanted. The sanding machines are connected to a vacuum system in the truck and Âmost- of the dust is vacuumed out of your house.

- Estimates

I joined AngieÂs List so I could find well-qualified contractors for bids. In particular, I looked for comments where the estimator educated the homeowner on the process. We have about 650 sq ft of hardwood and the three estimates ranged from $4600 down to $2800. (We live outside of Indianapolis, so not a high cost of living area.) Happily, the low bid was the contractor I was most impressed with. The high and the low bids included removing and replacing the shoe mold, moving appliances, removing and replacing the toilet, sanding the bevels out (thatÂs a lot of wood to take off!), staining and 2 coats of Bona Traffic.

The middle estimate we got did not include removing the shoe molding, appliances or toilet  his job just worked around these things. We were not impressed with that idea! The high estimate did not include sanding the bevels out. I HATED the bevels and wanted them gone! Yes, at first they are attractive, but they catch gunk and, with the dogs, even splintered. Plus, the contractor we chose said he most definitely would not leave the bevels because there was a good chance the new finish would not adhere to the old finish in the bevels, causing premature failure of the finish.

- Refinishing process

To prepare for the job, I took down pictures, window treatments and most decorative items. Because I thought there would be minimal dust created in the process, I did not remove dishes from the kitchen cabinets or knick-knacks that were on top of the kitchen cabinets, nor did the contractor include sealing off any doorways with plastic.

The crew arrived on Monday morning and the sanding process took until Wednesday afternoon. We were able to walk on the floors and mostly use the kitchen. They had moved the range out of the kitchen so we either ate out or I grilled dinner outside. Where the hardwood met the carpet, they lifted the carpet and folded it back several inches. And, yes, the process was dusty. We had floors refinished about 15 years ago before dust containment systems were developed. If that was a "10" on the dust scale, this was about a "4", maybe a "3". IÂm not a clean freak so I donÂt think it was a terrible ordeal. I damp wiped most everything after they finished but it wasnÂt a huge deal.

On Wednesday before they left, they put down several samples of colors of stain for us to choose our color. The colors were not as rich as I had hoped so they offered to do a Âwater popÂ. They dampen the bare wood with water which raises the grain. After it dries for a couple of hours, they put the stain on and it produces a deeper stain color. We chose Bona Cherry done with the water-pop and are THRILLED with the color. Our floor is white oak, and with the cherry stain, it almost looks like cherry wood.

They water-popped and stained the floor on Thursday. That night we could walk on the floor with sock-feet but only for necessities, and no dogs on it. I freaked out that night, thinking the color of the floor was too orange-y, peach-y. That was a stressful night but the contractor assured me that the finish would tone the color down.

With the contractorÂs input, I chose the satin gloss level of the Bona Traffic. Friday they put on a coat of Bona Traffic, allowed it to dry for 3 hours. The satin gloss was very flat, no sheen at all. I know that glossy surfaces show scratches more, but we wanted some gloss. So the contractor used semi-gloss on the second coat. It was perfect! A subtle, elegant sheen. We had to stay off the floor until 6:30 that evening. We were advised to be as gentle as we could for the next several days, keeping the dogs off as much as we could. Bona Traffic requires curing and the curing process is 90% complete in 3 days, 100% complete in 7. The curing process requires oxygen so we couldnÂt put rugs down until it was completely cured.

- Final thoughts

- The finish slightly darkened the stain color, but more importantly, gave it the warmth that the bare stained wood didnÂt have. I love the floor and cannot stop looking at it.

- No finish on hardwood will withstand dogs. We will always have dogs, so our next home will have tile. Hardwood is gorgeous, but the reality is, it just isnÂt for us.

- I promise to use the manufacturerÂs recommended cleaning products.

- The contractor suggested that before the finish is worn through to the wood again, that we have the floors Âscreened and 2 more coats of Bona be applied. With this process, the finish is very slightly abraded so the surface better accepts the finish. This process is much less involved than a complete refinish.

Comments (22)