SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jcorn1

Major help needed for wall oven decision

J Corn
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

We have a very flexible budget for our wall ovens and don't need lots of bells and whistles or even a self- cleaning oven. I just went a reliable oven with decent temperature settings.

Our budget isn't sky high but would accommodate a higher end price range, although of course we prefer a quality .appliance at the most affordable price possible.

When we renovated our kitchen, only a few years ago, we bought an Electrolux wall oven and a cooktop, both top rated by Consumer Reports. They weren't inexpensive. Although I had doubts, we also purchased an extended warranty, good for up to 7 years ( turned out to be worth it - but only to cover repairs)

I thought I'd researched thoroughly. I also trusted Consumer Reports. But within a year, the ovens and cooktop had major malfunctions. The extended warranty covered all repairs, which were numerous, including replacement of 3 control boards (2 for the oven, 1 for the cooktop)

. When used, the self- cleaning feature wreaked havoc on the control boards of the oven.. The cooktop boiled everything, even at the lowest setting.

Nothing has been resolved. I'm sick of the frequent repairs and drywall damage when the ovens are pulled out from the wall.

. We're now preparing meals with 2 portable induction burners, a large toaster oven, a microwave and an instant pot. The inexpensive toaster oven performs better than the wall ovens. . It's a surprisingly workable solution for 2- 4 people but not for special occasions.

We can now afford the price of replacing the ovens, drywall repair to the wall, and repainting. But I don't want to purchase another lemon. Friends and repair people say many top- rated ovens just aren't decent quality. If I could, I'd put a 50s or 60s era wall oven in our contemporary kitchen and cross my fingers. Maybe that's the best option. My mother's oven was over 20 years old when she died- and still going strong.

I'm frustrated and need suggestions. I hate digital controls But maybe that's the best choice. No idea. Are there other good options For electric ovens?

Comments (19)