SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lalithar

Need help with Oven, Induction+Gas cooktop, and Fridge decisions

lalithar
12 years ago

Hello fellow cooks,

Please help me think through the appliance decisions for my new kitchen. I would really appreciate feedback based on your experience. My builder is getting very impatient with my waffling on cooktops, ovens and fridge :(

Context: My main constraint is kitchen counter space. We are a 4 person family mostly but I do often cook for 15-20 people. We cook mostly vegetarian food. My meals often include for stirfries, crepes, casseroles, soups, steamed veggies, pilafs, pizza/ Tarts/ cakes.

Oven Decisions: The only decision I have made is that I am getting a 24" steam/ convection combi oven. I am looking at Gaggenau and Miele. Apparently Thermador also makes one.. Any feedback here? The big questions here are:

1) Do I need combi oven+ regular convection oven + microwave? We only cook vegetarian food so I really do not expect to cook large turkeys or roast. However I do want to be able to bake easily and often --> Pizza, cakes, tarts, pies, lasagna, casseroles. Do I need another regular convection over besides the combi? Or should I try to get a fancy microwave which also has convection, if yes.. which one?

2) Will the fancy microwave and the convection feature on the steam oven do a good job of only convection for baking? I need the microwave to be simple to use for my DH and kid to warm a glass of milk or reheat food.

Cooktop Decisions: I would really like an Induction/ Gas combo. Induction for day to day cooking and Gas for using my wok and griddles. The main issue here is how do I get the minimum what I need in the smallest possible footprint as this would determine the hood vent sizing and counter space.

Options 1: 2 hob induction + 2 unit gas (Wolf or Gagganau or Miele modular units). This keeps the space minimal but I am concerned the gas would not be powerful enough for wok/ griddle. Also would really like 1-2 more induction hob for day to day.

Option 2: 24" 4-hob induction hob + Wok gas module ( Looks like AEG and Kupperbusch make 4 hob version but don't know the quality. I am not sure which wok gas module will work- Gagganau makes one, as do wolf(15" multi function) and Miele (12" and 15"). I am also enamoured with the open burner wok cooktops like culinarian but looks like no one makes just a single wok unit.

Option 3: 30" Induction --> My husband loves the frameless Miele but I feel the controls on the side is a waste of space. Would have preferred controls in the front like their modular unit. Some gas again --> 1 unit wok or the 2 burner gas module makes the footprint large and the 24" is really huge.

Refrigerator Decisions: I would really like a dual compressor and feel the freezer space in my old side by side Kenmore was grossly inadequate. I freeze soups, pesto, sauces a lot. The side by side was also uncomfortable for wider dishes/ platters. Brands I was looking at at Liebherr, Thermador and Sub-zero but when I tried it, many models were way to tall for me (I am 5ft tall). So back to drawing board.

Option 1: 36" Sub-zero built-in top fridge/ bottom freezer or French doors(Height was better than the integrated units from Liebherr or Thermador).

Option 2: 30" top fridge bottom freezer (Which brand/ model) and 1 fridge/ freezer drawer combo. I like the 27" sub-zero. Kitchen aid and U-line also make one but don't know the quality.

Thanks

Lalitha

Comments (13)