SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mattaggie

Determining Market Value of Home

mattaggie
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Texas, small town, about hour from Houston. Without the use of a Realtor I have found I house I'm interested in buying. The house is not listed as for sale and the owners do not have a realtor. I noticed them fixing up the house (has been a rental) and approached them if they were getting ready to sell. They said yes. Its a well kept Victorian home 2,700 sf. I think it does need some updating in the kitchen and bathrooms. My question is, how on earth do I determine the value of the home? They told me they were going to list it for $265. I do not know much about real estate (this will be my first purchase) but I think $265 is way too high. I'm thinking more like $220 maybe. Tax appraisal is for $170. I realize tax appraisal really doesn't mean much, but there difference in this case is huge. Zestimate is around $200. Again I realize that is not completely accurate. I'm not against realtors and realize they provide necessary services. But in this case, I and the owners of course would like to save money and keep realtors out. Six percent on a $250k home is $15k. So on my end, what can I do to determine fair market value of the home? Do realtors ever act as consultants for a fee? I realize I'm basically asking how do I get realtor services without paying full price, just trying to understand all my options. I will hire a realtor if it comes to that.

Comments (26)