SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
justine_rouse

Raked/cathedral ceiling and tall kitchen cabinets - opinions needed!!

Justine Rouse
6 years ago

Hi all, I am about to extend and build a new kitchen and the designer has given me a set of drawings for our proposed kitchen that I was really happy with, as it has heaps of storage, but the architect is trying to tell me its not a great design because the tall cabinets that sit on the end of the peninsular bench are under a raked ceiling.

He doesn't like it for two reasons - the space above is a dust collector, and they will be placed under the space in the ceiling where 4 sky windows will be. He thinks the fact that they will encroach under the footprint of the windows will upset the balance and create a tunnel effect in the kitchen - instead of light and open and airy. (His design had just an island bench in a similar spot, directly lined up under the skylight).

The drawing attached shows what I mean with the ceiling line over the tall cupboards (the fridge is on the other side. Originally the plan had another tall cupboard (so that there is two talls with an open shelf in between, connected to the bench), and I want to put this back in as it gives me back a second pantry on the other side next to the fridge.

My question is - Is having tall cabinets out in the middle of a space, not connected to the ceiling weird? And will it look silly if the skylights above (which will be central to the apex of the ceiling and the length of the open plan space) are not lined up with those cabinets?

The Kitchen Designed suggests plants that hang down over the edge of the cabinet to soften the look of the cabinet, and also suggests that a "kitchen as furniture" is a thing. Is it?

Anyone have any suggestions? I have looked for similar examples everywhere and I can't find anything that shows the combo of raked ceiling, tall cabinet and sky lights...

Thanks!

Comments (25)