SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
homersgarden

Soffet/Soffit & Cabinet Opinions Needed

homersgarden
16 years ago

Not exactly sure on the spelling...sorry. Anyway, I was wondering about peoples opinions on soffets (the small area of wall above the cabinet). I know that the trend is to not have them and to either have space on top of the cabinets for decortive stuff or to have cabinets go up to the ceiling.

In my kitchen I have about a 10 inch soffet and my cabinets are underneath. People have said, "When you remodel you should take those soffets out and have your cabinets up to the ceiling." The problem is I am 5 2" and even now it is difficult for me to reach the tops of the cabinets...why would I want them higher other than to have more space underneath. I guess we could leave the space above them, but this doesn't seem like all that much room. What are your opinions?

Also, I would like to keep my exsisting cabinets as much as possible...if I did decide to move them up to the ceiling is this something that could be easily done or would it add a lot to my budget?

Finally, as I said I want to keep as much of my original cabinets as possible, but will have to add some cabients and will be taking a built in oven out and having to rework where it is. Knowing the exsisting cabinets will need some adjusting will I still be saving money or would I be better off starting over? Lots to learn and I am in the beginning stages of this process! I appreciate your opinions.

Comments (8)