SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beccamj

I suppose this is why I needed a kitchen designer-opinions needed

beccamj
15 years ago

This all seemed great on paper. I live in a tiny Manhattan apartment and I'm kosher and so have two sets of everything: pots, pans, dishes, cutlery, etc. I designed my new kitchen to eke out every inch of space but I think I made a mistake and I'm not sure whether to live with it or fix it while I can.

I knocked down a wall on one side of the entranceway between the DR and kitchen, more to maximize space than open it up. As a matter of fact, I still really want the kitchen to be defined as the kitchen. So I ended the cabinet run in a tall pantry. It's only 15", but I plan to add Ikea roll-out shelves and store big things like the crockpot there as well.

The trouble is, it just looks..... strange. Like it's this huge, hulking, out-of-place thing. It was supposed to be one tall unit but my cab guy made it as two, because he didn't think he'd be able to get it into my place. He's probably right and it really can't be changed now, although I could at least add a panel to hide the seam. It's also supposed to have crown molding at the top, although I don't see any notches for it so I wonder.

The reason the height doesn't match the window or wall cabs you see in the distance is that I didn't want the molding to look strange so close to the crown molding I already have in the DR/LR. There's very little symmetrical in the kitchen as it is tiny and oddly shaped, so it's not an issue for me.

Options are:

1. Leave it as is, try to get used to it.

2. Take off the top piece, cover with granite, and just use the bottom (what a waste).

3. Cut it down in depth to 12" or 15" so it doesn't seem to be sticking out there as much.

4. Other idea you may have.

Thanks for weighing in!

View from the kitchen into DR/LR

Comments (45)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!