SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pmertz_gw

Need advice on Ceiling - Tray, Cathedral or 8'?

pmertz
15 years ago

All,

We have to make this decision quickly and I need your help. Ideally, we would love to have 9 or 10 foot ceilings in the kitchen straight across. However, the roof line of our house starts at 8 feet, so that option is out. What do you all recommend?

Tray - To me, this seems most in keeping with the look I want (see example below) and allows us to have a higher ceilings and some definition. We would obviously use crown molding, etc. to make it look nice. (Would this look too 80's? We also need skylights so the shafts would be quite long.)

Cathedral - I always think of cathedral in the kitchen as contemporary, but this ceiling would give it a more open and airy feeling. We will need to have 2 skylights so this would work the best for the skylights as the shafts would be shorter than they would be for tray. Big negative, I have also been told that this is the most expensive option.

Keep 8' - this is the cheapest option. I have seen kitchens I like that look nice at 8'. I would love to save the $$, but my architect says that if you are going to raise the ceiling anywhere, we should do it in the kitchen. We will have to raise it somewhere as the whole house is 8'.

What do you think we should do? Do you all have any other options or photos you could share on ideas?

Here is an example of the look I am going for (recently posted on this forum):

Thanks!

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!