SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mickeymouse6697

Boyfriends Children Don't Respect Me

mickeymouse6697
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I've been with my boyfriend for two years. He has two children, a seven year old (who is not biologically his, but he has raised him since the child was one), and a four year old (half-sibling of the first child), we get them both every weekend, and occasionally for a whole week. Things between the children and I started out great, at the time they were five and two (very close to being three). They were very sweet and accepting, no boundaries were crossed on their end or mine (such as me trying to be their mother). I moved in with my boyfriend after nearly a year, and things remained good with the children, although it took time for them to understand that I was now living there. After a few months of me living there, things went downhill. I hadn't really stepped up much as a parent, except for giving time outs when necessary as asked by the parents. But, the mother began telling the children that because I am not a mother, that the children don't have to listen to me. They took this to heart and began not listening, and arguing with me. Eventually, the mother let up on that, but the damage was done.

After some time, I changed the punishment a bit with my boyfriends consent and help. After one time out, if the behavior was repeated (such as not listening when asked to clean up, or hitting each other), items would be taken from them (TV, video games, favorite toys, etc). I knew that at their mothers home, they weren't, and still aren't, punished other than a two to three minute time out, so I knew this may be an adjustment for the kids. Things were looking better for a little while, the youngest would come up at random times to tell me that he loved me, and the oldest would run to hug me before I left for work. It was great, I loved them not necessarily as my own, but still as family.

Things took a drastic turn about six to seven months ago. The oldests grandma on his biological fathers side began taking him a lot, and his behavior changed. He began acting spoiled, and when asked about it, it turned out that his grandmother would give him whatever he wanted whenever he wanted, and did not do anything when he acted out badly. So, at both homes he began acting out when he didn't get his way. Tantrums would be thrown (my boyfriend told me he witnessed a twenty minute tantrum from him, literally thrashing around on the floor, because he didn't want to go to his aunts wedding and instead wanted to be at his grandmas, and threw the tantrum when he wasn't getting his way). His little brother began acting the same, learning the behavior from him. But, neither the mother or my boyfriend do much about it. My boyfriend babies them, as he feels guilty about not getting much time with them. He leaves it to me to parent while he is their friend, but this has caused many issues.

The children have stopped respecting me, and part of the problem is my boyfriend. When I take TV time, or make them sit in silence on the couch, he will say something about disagreeing with my punishment in front of the kids, and will sometimes give them back what was taken because he "doesn't want their weekends to be miserable." I don't want their weekends to be miserable, but they need to learn that some of their behavior is unacceptable. There has been a time where the youngest tried to trip me as I was walking by. While I don't think it was done maliciously, I still got upset, but my boyfriend yelled at me in front of the child for getting upset. He has shown them that it's okay to disrespect me, undermine me, and not listen or follow house rules. I often set a house rule in place, with his consent, that after a few weeks he lets them break and then it's done. The oldest often argues with me. I could see him hit his brother, and he will argue that it was actually his brother who hit him. Or, his dad could tell him to clean his room, but instead he will follow me around to see what I'm doing and when I gently remind him that he needs to be cleaning, he begins arguing that that is exactly what he was doing. These are things neither child do to my boyfriend, it seems they have become comfortable and safe treating me poorly because nothing is done about it.

i have discussed this with my boyfriend. He has made some attempts to remedy the situation, he finally jumps in to tell the oldest not to argue with me. But, just yesterday the youngest told me he wants me to move out. Instead of having a talk with him, my boyfriend said "be nice" and dropped the whole situation. I feel like I'm losing my mind. I use to look forward to seeing them on weekends, and now I dread it and want to stay elsewhere while they are here. And I know that's a bad thing, I love their father so I should love them like I use to. It's just not happening anymore. I like being around them less and less, and I don't know what to do. I'm happy with my boyfriend, but I'm unhappy when the kids are here because of how they treat me. There are many, many, many more examples of disrespect from them, but it would make this post much longer than what it is. Often times, though, the youngest will wait until my boyfriend is sleeping or not at home before he disrespects me (although him telling me he wanted me to move out was said in front of my boyfriend). Please help!

P.S. The kids mother did get married back in October, so they do have a stepfather. But according to the stepfather, he never had to deal with this kind of behavior from the kids.

Comments (12)