SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beaglesdoitbetter

WWYD - issues w/ house.

We've had bitter cold weather in PA and it prompted a leak from our roof b/c of ice damming. While my DH was up in the attic dealing with the issue, he noticed that our large chandelier wasn't hanging properly. Basically, it hadn't been attached right and was just like, loosely suspended from electrical wiring!!

This is at least the 4th major problem we've had w/ electrical work. One of our chandeliers randomly started smoking and almost started on fire (it's been re-wired completely and re-installed). Some of our decorative lighting, an electrician told us needed to be replaced b/c it wasn't rated for the place it was used for (we paid ourselves to replace it at considerable expense). And, some of our in-cabinet lights have had to be fixed at least 6 times and still don't work right (the bulbs go out after like a day). And, sometimes, fuses just go out for no reason randomly. Like, I'll be sitting in the bedroom and the bedroom lights will go off, not b/c anything has been turned on or changed but the fuse just blows).

Long story short, we have NO confidence in the electrical work done in our house. We called our builder furious about the chandelier issue and he no longer works with the electrician that did the work in our house. He sent his new electrician at his cost to fix the chandelier and that electrician subsequently identified 2 others that also weren't installed right and fixed those as well (these were the only chandeliers you could see the install job on just b/c of their locations and the fact there is open attic space above them...we have probably 12 others b/c every room in our house has a chandelier).

Well, needless to say, I don't have any confidence at all in our electrical work in the house. I have told my husband we need to bring in a separate trusted electrician to basically 'check' everything. We have an electrician we like a lot who we can trust and will pay him privately for this service.

But what exactly would you have him do? Would you have him start cutting holes in walls and ceilings to see if the other chandeliers are installed properly? Would you have him cut holes in walls to look at wires? What would the process be?

We've lived in our house for 6 years. The problems Ive described are the only ones I've had. For background, our builder is a very highly respected builder who builds luxury homes and does large commercial properties in our area. The electrician who did our house worked w/ him for a long time, but our house was the last one he did w/ the builder.

My major fear is that the dogs will be home alone in the house and a fire will start and won't be able to get out.

So, what would you do in this situation if this was your house? I truly am at a loss to determine the next best course of action, other than I know I want someone independent to come--- but I am not sure what exactly to have him do.

Comments (23)