SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
helaurin93

WWYD? Cabinet issue, Cabinet store reaction...

helaurin93
3 years ago

Four years ago, I purchased Hanssem cabinets for two bathroom renovations, from a store that my contractor strongly recommended. I was told they were good, mid-grade semi-custom cabinets, good value, etc.

A few weeks ago, I had also reached out to the same cabinetry store to ask about cabinetry for a kitchen renovation, using a particular brand of cabinetry which they said they were dealers of, but that they rarely sell. I've been waiting since then for their plan and quote - the designer said she was having problems getting their 20/20 program updated with the manufacturer's current specs.

Over the weekend, I realized that the paint on a couple of the drawer fronts from the bathrooms were peeling away. On Monday, I took a couple of photos and emailed the cabinetry store that had sold me the cabinets.

On Wednesday afternoon (today), I hadn't had any response to my email. I was in the area, and figured I might as well stop by and touch on both topics with them.

So I walked in. No one was at their desks, they were all in a back room having lunch and/or chit-chatting. Finally someone realized I was there and came out front.

I gave my name and the designer's name, asking for an update about the cabinetry line. The worker went back to the group to find out, and then came back to tell me that they would only sell that manufacturer's full overlay styles, not their inset styles. Ok, but I've been waiting for several weeks for a quote...

And then the owner comes out from another door in back, and comes up behind me. He's loud, and frankly.... I found him to be overbearing and obnoxious.

He corrected his worker, speaking over her and loudly said they wouldn't sell that manufacturer AT ALL. I mentioned that I've been waiting for a quote for WEEKS from his worker, who had said they would quote me on it - and his response was basically "That girl is part-time, I own the company, and she does what I tell her to do".

Then he launched into how the cabinet manufacturer that I am interested in "used to be good and got lousy" - and then, when I turned to face him, he went raving on about how they "had it out" with that manufacturer, that they wouldn't do business with them at all (repeating that several times), that they couldn't recommend them at all, etc, and then replaced them with another manufacturer, and that one sucked, and they replaced that one with another one, and then that one had issues, and now they "highly recommend" another one (21st century) instead.

First, I didn't need to hear a litany of their woes with trying to find a manufacturer that didn't "suck".

Then, I said, well, there's a second issue - I had emailed your company two days ago about an issue with cabinets you sold me four years ago, and hadn't gotten any response.

Ok, so the owner sat me down at his desk, and looked for the email. "Well, of course you didn't hear back from us, we didn't even open up your email yet". (As if I should have known that).

So he opens it up, sees that I wanted their assistance resolving an issue with the cabinets that they sold me, and the cabinets are still under warranty.

Well, imagine when he launched into another tirade about how THAT company ALSO sucked, and that they didn't deal with them anymore, and that he could sell me some other company's drawer fronts that would be "similar" - leaping up from his desk as he did so, running in back and coming back out with his "similar" door and finish.

Nowhere near similar. My cabinets are polar white with a pewter glaze. These were the color of a creamy yellowish-french vanilla. Night and day. I pointed that out to him.

He practically threw his hands up in the air, like he didn't know what else to do.

Then he turned to his computer, got me a phone number for the manufacturer of the cabinetry I had bought through them, and pretty much told me that I was on my own - they would not assist in any way with the warranty issue, and in fact, it would be better, he said, when I called them if I did not ell them that I had bought the cabinetry through their store -because he'd apparently "had it out with them" too.

Oh, and in the midst of all this - when he was looking up my original invoice, he saw my contractor's name - and muttered that my contractor wasn't a good man - and then launched into how my contractor owed his store money (not from my job) and that my contractor had apparently given him a check (some time ago, I don't know when) that had bounced, and he had made good on most of the check amount, but not all - and then looked at me like maybe I could pay the rest of it. I'm like - ok, but that has nothing to do with me, as I paid your company directly for my cabinetry from you - you invoiced me directly, and I paid you, in full, directly - four years ago.

The guy grumbled something (I didn't catch exactly what).

Then he said there was another cabinetry line (one that I've never heard of) and they MIGHT have a finish that I'd like. So he's going to send me photos later of it.

I left at that point.

I've NEVER had an experience quite like that.

Frankly, if I was an employee there - I'd be embarrassed as all heck.

Thoughts? I don't think he needed to speak so dismissively of his employee, that he needed to launch into his woes about all the bad cabinet manufacturers they had tried, that the contractor that I used four years ago owes him money after bouncing a check on him, and I do think that whether or not they still sell a cabinet line - as the company who sold that line to me, they should be trying to help me with the warranty issue, not telling me that I'm on my own because they had it out with that manufacturer.

And I am wondering just how much of this I should tell the contractor - because he still is recommending this store to his clients.

Comments (25)