SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blnichols99

Antique Laundry Sink - Tips to Repair Leaking Cement Crack?

blnichols99
6 years ago

I have this old beauty in my laundry/mud room but it has sprung a (second) leak. The bottom surface is wearing away and there are hairline cracks. We were recently told that "off-gassing" from our water heater and furnace drain tubes could be causing erosion. You can see exposed pebbles on the right. This leads me to believe that it's a concrete poured sink but I am seeing discussions about whether sinks like these are soapstone, so thought I'd check before we repair? The sides are smooth to the touch, with small pockmark imperfections. I want to repair it, not replace it. I'd love for it to look nice and uniform without "patch marks" but I am struggling to find proper instruction for repairing antique sinks and we need to feather the patch up the sides a bit. My house was built in 1940 in Western New York, so I assume this is original. I see no stamps indicating it could be soapstone or the manufacturer but thought I'd ask the community. What's the best way to (quickly) repair our historic sink and have it look nice? I've attached photos of the inside and underneath (the shiny marks are a previous silicone repair). It's well used and well loved. Thanks!!!

Comments (5)