SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19712636

Sewage ejector basin - groundwater leak?

User
14 years ago

My basement has a sewage ejector basin for the washing machine and A/C condensation. Recently, I noticed the ejector pump going off periodically when neither of those items were running. Further inspection showed its filling very slowly at a constant rate.

It is not coming from either of the two sources (washer or AC). It also does not appear to be backflow coming from the ejection pipe. I pulled it apart to look at the checkvalve...I found the valve was working. I also left it detached for some time and saw no water coming out of the pipe, yet the well was still slowly filling.

My conclusion is that it must be groundwater seeping up through a crack in the basin. Does this sound right? It may be related to the fact that I recently had a new sump pump installed (ie not my sewage well but the sump) which triggers at a higher waterlevel than the prior one. Perhaps the higher groundwater level is to blame? The thing is, I could see no sign of water coming in from the sides of the sewage well. If anything, the crack is on the bottom or around the sides near the bottom.

My plan is to dry out the well with my wet/dry vac and try to get visual confirmation of a leak. If I find it - is there any way to patch it? I believe the well basin is fiberglass. I'm really hoping to avoid replacing it, as I'm not sure how I'd get the PVC from the AC drain through the well while installing.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

Comments (7)