SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
slateberry

Trunk room--what happened, what to do?

slateberry
14 years ago

I live in an 1887 Queen Anne. The trunk room on the third floor is one of my favorite rooms in the house. It just feels so...old. The symmetry of the room, the sloping ceiling right under the roof, the treetops right outside the window--it makes me want to curl up with a good book on a blustery day. The room is 8 x 14 and we plan to use it for storage for now, and possibly turn it into a bathroom someday. With a claw foot tub centered right under the window :-).

You can see where the po blew in insulation and covered the holes with duct tape. I plan to patch and paint. The chimney is for an abandoned laundry boiler on the 1st floor. It's gone now, but I have the blueprints or I never would have been able to guess what it was for. The roof must have leaked terribly around the chimney, and presumably to address this, a po had it taken down to below the roofline and the roof patched. I think flashing would have been easier, but the chimney top is gone now. I _could_ restore the chimney and put a fireplace in this room, but it seems kind of a small, out-of -the-way spot to have a fireplace. On the second floor, the chimney passes through what will be the master bath lavatory room (currently a closet). On the first floor, it passes through the laundry area, which will become a conservatory. I can see a fireplace in the conservatory, but since the house already has fireplaces in the DR and LR, I'd just as soon have the master bathroom (there is none currently). But, if someone can make a compelling case to keep and restore the chimney and add fireplaces, I might well do it.

What on earth is the large hole in the plaster for? If you look carefully, you'll see a line continuing off to the left from the bottom of the hole. They cut through all the laths along that line. I'm trying to patch it for now but it's not going to be a great patch. I'm using plaster anchor washers and screws to attach laths to the rafters and anything else solid I can find. I do love this mid-century green, although it seems to have a layer of soot on it.

More of the chimney. lots of efflorescence and patching. Notice how it widens as it goes up, to give a more prominent appearance above the roofline. When it extended beyond the roofline, that is. If I do remove the rest of it, it won't be during the winter, as I wouldn't be surprised if the roof patch was done improperly, and rests on the chimney. That's the thing about old houses; nothing surprises you after a while. We have a partially collapsed masonry wall in our bulkead; po tried to shore it up by stuffing socks and underwear in between the fieldstones.

Here you can see how the floorboards butt into the baseboards. Guess they installed the baseboards first. I wonder why.

Here is another shot of the floor. Old pine boards of varying width, nailed down. I love the way you can feel the grain on these; it's as if they're sunken with age. I love them. A good cleaning and maybe tung oil is all I want to do.

The cracked vent pipe. My neighbor said it was due to the house settling. 3/4" in 120 years is not too bad, right? (shaky laugh). He also said to just get a fiberglass repair kit and wrap the crack. As a sailboat owner, I can roll with that.

The acorn-tipped hooks. Love 'em--keep! Gotta get a push-button light switch to keep them company though.

Here is where they tore out the floor. Watch your step! You can see the 12" x 3/4" rough pine subfloor. Looks like they cut out a joist. That is going to be challenging to address. Why did they stuff insulation in the open floor space?

I don't plan on touching any of the woodwork in the room except to give it a good cleaning. Mostly I just plan to patch the walls, and try to make the torn up corner safe.

Comments, suggestions, and theories welcomed.

Comments (37)