SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ilovemytrees

Please diagnose what happened to my October Glory Trunk!

ilovemytrees
12 years ago

This is our favorite tree in our yard. We've had it for 3 years. It's the first tree we ever planted. I can't tell you what this tree means to me.

I planted it with the root flare showing. I planted it correctly, that is a fact, and mulched it as well (using pea stone because of the voles), keeping the mulch far away from the trunk.

It's grown by leaps and bounds, heck, almost 3 feet last summer alone. It's about 7 feet tall now. It's been vigorous from the get go. No transplant shock, it just grew straight and majestic from the word go.

When we were outside just now, we noticed that the trunk of this tree has 2 spots on it of damage that were not there before. The trunk was wrapped to prevent sunscald. However, I only wrapped it up to the branching. It was also fenced with a 4 foot fence, with rocks on the outside of it, to keep the neighborhood dogs, voles and rabbits out. There has been NO contact with animals. This October Glory sits on the southwest side of the property.

We've included a pic for you to see. What in the world happened? Is it suncald? How in the world do I wrap a tree in the branching area to prevent that? Can this tree be saved? Will it heal back to 100%? If not, please just straight up tell me now.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:334741}}

Comments (23)