SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Do you plan your garden spaces or do they just happen?

lavender_lass
13 years ago

As most of you probably know...I am a planner. I research what plants will be safe around the younger nieces and nephews (some aren't trained to be around plants, unfortunately) and safe for the horses (I have to be careful what might end up in their pasture). I check to see if plants will do well in my zone, are safe for the barn kitties, and bring in bees, butterflies and other beneficials...and bird friendly, or course.

This leaves me with a limited number of plants, but still a nice variety. Then, I plan out my beds very carefully, for size and shape and the overall layout. I prefer a more formal layout, to contrast with the wilderness all around us. I also have this "thing" about planting many of my beds in mirror reverse, but people never seem to notice. I think it's because I use cottage type plants and no one sees the order beneath the chaos. LOL

Despite all my careful planning, I always end up moving a few things and I love clearance plants. I keep my list of "safe" and hardy plants with me and then I see what's pretty and what's on sale. This is my gardening process, crazy though it might seem.

I'm curious...do you all plan things out, or do they just happen for you? Are you able to buy almost any plant you like, or do you research things carefully? Do you see what 'strikes your fancy' at the garden center, or do you go in looking for a particular plant? I thought it would be interesting to find out. Thanks for sharing :)

Comments (23)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!