SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
srb2398061

Drew's Honeymoon Remodel

Anglophilia
6 years ago

I don't get HGTV, so the first I heard about this was on GW. I heard many people commenting on things torn out, but I had no idea where this house was.

Last night, I was looking for something to watch on YouTube and stumbled onto an episode - this was about the kitchen /DR. As I watched, I suddenly realized that the house is in Windsor Square/Hancock Park in LA! My old neighborhood!

I was astounded at the enormity of thus project - digging out a huge basement. And all that massive equipment being used on what are small lots! I'm sure the neighbors were thrilled. In the end, it looks just like everything else he's ever done. What a travesty to a gracious old house. Why choose this neighborhood if what one wanted was "new Las Vegas"?

This is a very traditional neighborhood. The only other comparable one is San Marino near Pasadena. In fact, children from families of both often marry. It's not Beverly Hills or the Palisades where tear-downs are the norm. Top designer Suzanne Rheinstein lives in Windsor Park, and decorating style is the polar opposite of Drew's. Love to be a fly on the wall at a neighborhood cocktail party if Drew and "bride" are included!

I still have many friends in the neighborhood, even though we left it in 1984. Can't wait to have time to talk to friends there and get the local dirt on how they like this. It's such a lovely old neighborhood and the houses are very special, and the people so lovely. I hope this is not the start of a trend. If I hadn't found this neighborhood when we moved from St Louis to LA, I don't think I could have stayed.

Comments (14)