SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ajcn

Layout help for my Dad's bathroom remodel

AJCN
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I apologize in advance that this post is long, but designers are always asking for drawings on graph paper and pictures, so I figured I'd put it all in my initial post!

My Dad asked me to measure his bedroom and bathroom and give him some ideas on how he can renovate his bathroom to get a shower (remove current tub/shower combo). I drew the existing layout and how he has his furniture currently placed. There are these really old mirrored sliding door closets and a small bathroom. His bedroom is humongous (approx 17 x 15). He's very open-minded to rearranging things, but probably he should leave toilet in current location. I will talk him into moving his bookcase to the livingroom bc i think it really crowds the room.

The combined space is so big, I feel it would be possible to get a much better layout for him. He wants a good closet (can be reach in or walk in, whichever makes sense), large shower with a bench (can be built in or a teak seat), grab bars, regular showerhead plus handshower set low near the bench, vanity (can be single sink or double if there's room), linen space which can be either incorporated in the closet or inside the bathroom.

Here are some drawing. I'd really appreciate some help.

Original Layout:

Here's how he currently has his furniture set up. Bookcase will be moved to livingroom. He wants to keep all the rest, although I might be able to convince him to place the TV on the dresser so he can get ride of the extra little chest he has in there with the TV on it.

Current furniture set up:

Here is my thought if he wants to (or has to) work with the existing walls bc they are most probably load bearing. There's a post between the 2 closets and I don't see any reason why it's there other than for structural support. In this drawing I shrunk the linen cabinet to 18" deep so that the shower could be large. I know a really good custom cabinet builder and I think he could build any kind of custom closet system he wants.

You'll see in the pictures that he is blocking the window with an armoire, and he's partially blocking the sliders with his TV cabinet. He doesn't use the sliders at all, so I think he'd be open to removing them and installing a new window matching the existing one. The exterior is siding, no brick.

If he did this layout, I'd put his furniture like this. Everything would still fit and he could swap the dresser and armoire, either way, the mirror on the dresser or armoire will help bounce the natural light around. I probably won't be able to talk him out of the chest the TV is on bc it was his Dad's and holds all his Dad's and Granddad's stamp and coin collections and it locks. I also will not be able to have him move the armoire bc it won't fit anywhere else and it hugely sentimental to him.

Here's the whole space we have to work with if he decides and is able to move walls:

He lives here about half the year and in Colorado the other half of the year. Eventually he'll live full-time in Colorado and either rent this townhouse out or sell it. His main thing is he really wants a big shower with a bench or seat.

Pictures:

Entry:

Blocked window and unused sliders:

Calling this the "Hall of Closets:"

The linen closet opens into the "Hall of Closets:"

Bathroom:

Post in between the 2 closets:

These are the sliders I'd like to remove and replace with a window.

Thank you!

Comments (11)