SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissaaipapa

How do you do your bread making?

Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I was just wondering. I bake bread regularly, as the Italian offerings are mainly of the white flour-water-salt-yeast description, while I want more nourishing and heavier breads made with part whole grain, milk, oil, potatoes, eggs, and so on. Also, since my daughter and I eat my bread regularly--it's our staple breakfast--it saves money to do my own baking.

I had to relearn bread baking in Italy, as the flours are different and a lot of ingredients that are standard in the U.S. are hard to find or unreasonably expensive here. Also in the years I've been here my metabolism has changed: I have less tolerance for cereal-based foods and have lost most of my taste, never strong, for sweets. All this pushes me in the direction of breads made as I described above. I started out baking with dry yeast, which is expensive here and seems less reliable than that sold in the U.S. I'm so frugal that I began stretching the yeast by starting with sponges. Lately I've switched to fresh yeast, which is cheaper and which works. If I have some I won't use soon I just stick it in the freezer. I still make the sponge. My usual bread baking session is to start two sponges with flour and liquid, let them rise, then add enough liquid, with some more flour, to make of each sponge a batch for three large loaves. This second sponge rises, then I add all the ingredients needed for the complete dough, knead it, let it rise, punch down, knead, and shape, rise again, and bake. I knead by hand. It isn't a quick process, but if I'm paying attention it can all be done in one day. In my last session I got six large loaves of two kinds of bread starting with a single cube of yeast, and the bread was good.

I don't exactly follow any cookbook recipes for the reasons I gave at the start, but I use 'Beard on Bread' for basic proportions, or changing a recipe to suit my needs. For example, I use his 'County Fair Egg Bread' recipe, but leave out the sugar, use one third whole grain, and substitute oil for the butter, and am happy with the results. I think my breads wouldn't win a prize at the fair, but find them quite edible and satisfying, and certainly better and more suited to my family's needs--and less expensive--than anything I can find in the stores.

So, how and why do you bake bread?

Comments (13)