SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
djalso

Please Help! Dryer Venting Into Shared Townhouse Wall

djalso
6 years ago

I live in a 1978 townhouse that shares one wall with my neighbors. They have placed their dryer vent inside of a joist bay in that wall. There is also electrical wiring in the same wall, presumably for both units. I am told that there is no fire-prevention material between the two. The problem is that it appears that the vent pipe in not properly connected. Every time they run their dryer, my townhouse is filled with the exhaust and odors from their dryer. I asked them to fix it, and after some correspondence, they responded that their schedules did not permit them the time to address it. I asked the City of Houston to investigate, but they just charged them for a bunch of permits for past improvements and did nothing about the dryer. I am fed up with living with this and so I am asking for ideas about what I can do. I do not dare do anything to their installation for fear of assuming the liability if or when a fire occurs. I really just want it removed from the shared wall, but I do not want to resort to a lawsuit. I have talked to a home inspector, a vent cleaning company and the city employees that took my complaints with no results. I am looking for information from a GC, engineer, builder or anyone familiar with the applicable IRC/ICC/IMC regulations. Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments (7)