Spatula contamination worries when cooking ground beef?
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (52)
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
Related Discussions
Cooking spatulas - What's your preference?
Comments (8)I have an assortment of 'rubber scraper' type spatulas. I find the first one I reach for is usually a silicone spoonula, so guess that's my current favorite in that dept. Then, I have several metal spatulas--different sizes, thicknesses, etc. In that case, it really depends upon what I'm doing. I reach for the one that's the right size for the job. I do like the old one--leftover from a wedding gift of those hanging 'tools'--that's very thin and flexible. But then you do have those special surfaces to contend with these days--non-stick skillets that scratch, enamelled cast iron that 'marks' if metal is used in it. My solution? I made a beautiful wooden spatula out of great maple, that is safe for those pots/pans, AND I then curved the edge so it exactly conforms to the angle between the side and bottom of my Le Crueset dutch oven, so that utensil is quite versatile. And pretty, too. I find that making my own wooden utensils is a good solution--I make up my own designs, to customize them to work the best for my own specific needs....See MoreRaw Beef - got lost in fridge - cook or pitch?
Comments (16)I've frozen meat for trash day.....in my case for the green bin. I don't want to put the meat too early in the bin. Might as well inhibit any smells or raccoon hits as much as possible :) I also have several small bags of chopped veggies in the freezer destined for my composting worms. They are in clear bags, so easily identified. I also have a larger bag of watermelon rinds as a treat for them. :D...See MoreE.Coli and Ground Beef
Comments (15)I didn't say it should be ignored. I think I said, "if any given restaurant, market or producer is proven to be negligent, go after them." Every day it seems that there is yet another thing that we have to either eat or not eat, another inconvenience we must go through, another reason we should eat a more highly priced food item rather than the less expensive version of the same thing. Somebody died here, somebody got sick there, so we all should be terrified into doing whatever it is that some group or other likely has a vested interest in our doing. What is never mentioned in these reports about one or three or a hundred people in well over 300 million Americans does not a high risk make. By the way, with a quick Google, I found a recent study that says "organic and naturally raised beef cattle are just as prone to E. coli O157:H7 as conventially raised animals." Sometimes, we just have to accept that no matter how careful we are, people sometimes get sick, and sometimes die. Does this mean we shouldn't take reasonable precautions? Of course not. But neither does it mean, at least for me, that we should spend our life fretting and worrying over every alarmist claim made by people with their own agendas. Here is a link that might be useful: E. coli Prevalent in Organic Beef...See MoreAnother Record: $4.235 Per Pound for Ground Beef
Comments (30)At our Krogers, I just bought 2 bags of chicken hind quarters for 69 cents a pound in 10 pound bags. I have found hind quarters in such bags in a nearby IGA for as low as 49 cents a pound. Not organic, but perfect for what I wanted--dog food. This time, I cut off the thighs for DH and me (ending up with about 22 nice-sized thighs) and ground the raw legs and meaty parts of the backs (including the bones) for dog food. I freeze them in 1/3 cup balls and add one a day to our dog's dry food. She strongly approves. I seasoned our thighs and let them sit in the fridge for 24 hours, then, for the first time ever, I cooked chicken in the sous vide. Each thigh went into a cheapo fold over sandwich bag to help keep the vacuum bag clean and preserve the liquids with each thigh. Thanks, Dcarch for the verbal push! Most of them went into the freezer, but I kept enough out for two meals. They are delicious. Moist and flavorful. Before serving I will brown them quickly in a very hot skillet, add the drippings and some wine to the skillet and cook it down, pour it over the thighs, and enjoy. Or I may use the meat in a salad. Or. . . .?...See More- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
Related Stories

COLORCooking With Color: When to Use Gray in the Kitchen
Try out Trout or shake up some Martini Shaker gray for a neutral-based kitchen that whispers of sophistication
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNA Cook’s 6 Tips for Buying Kitchen Appliances
An avid home chef answers tricky questions about choosing the right oven, stovetop, vent hood and more
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGN8 Kitchen Organizing Ideas for Messy Cooks
Not the clean-as-you-go type? Not to worry. These strategies will help keep your kitchen looking tidy no matter what your cooking style is
Full Story
MOST POPULARThanksgiving Tales: When the Turkey Tanks
Houzz readers prove adept at snatching victory from the jaws of entertaining defeat
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNKitchen Recipes: Secret Ingredients of 5 One-of-a-Kind Cooking Spaces
Learn what went into these cooks’ kitchens — and what comes out of them
Full Story
FLOORSWhat to Ask When Considering Heated Floors
These questions can help you decide if radiant floor heating is right for you — and what your options are
Full Story
KITCHEN ISLANDSThe Pros and Cons of Kitchen Islands
Two designers make the case for when adding a kitchen island is a good idea — and when it’s not
Full Story
HOUSEKEEPINGCan-Do Cleaning Strategies for Busy People
While you dream of having a maid (to go with the cook and chauffer), this simplified cleaning routine can keep your real-world home tidy
Full Story
HEALTHY HOME12 Ways to Set Up Your Kitchen for Healthy Eating
Making smart food choices is easier when your kitchen is part of your support team
Full Story
dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m