SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grainlady_ks

Another Record: $4.235 Per Pound for Ground Beef

grainlady_ks
9 years ago
I read this headline in a recent cnsnews.com article. It's also why I use more ground turkey instead of ground beef these days, which I often get for $1.99/pound, and I also get store coupons for ground turkey. I use ground turkey to make "sausage".

I try to keep to $2/pound or less for meat, but spend no more than $10/week on meat at any price. My $10/week meat budget (for two adults) means I have to get more creative and I enjoy the challenge, especially when it translates to recipes I use teaching budget meal classes at the local food bank. If you live it, it's easier to teach it....

I can still see the gigantic rump roast my mother-in-law made every Sunday, and it cost a whopping 79-cents a pound. You would have to special order one that large these days, and it would cost a small fortune. Even here in beef country the cuts of beef are smaller and the selection is much smaller. The days of a loaded to the brim meat counter is a thing of the past at these prices. Bargain hunters can't even afford the discounted meat!

-Grainlady

Comments (30)