SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chloebud

Corned Beef and Cabbage

chloebud
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

St. Paddy's Day is coming, so I thought I'd share my favorite (VERY favorite!) way to fix corned beef and cabbage. For years now I've used this recipe from the Silver Palate girls. If necessary, the recipe can be adjusted for a smaller piece of corned beef...just remember to allow for some shrinkage. I usually figure 1 pound per person and a little extra for leftovers. This is very tweakable. For example, I've left out the cloves and didn't notice a big difference.

Corned Beef and Cabbage

From The New Basics Cookbook; Serves 4-6

1 corned beef (5-6 pounds)
2 onions, studded with 3 whole cloves (onions can be halved or quartered)
4 carrots, peeled and halved
2 ribs celery, halved
4 sprigs Italian parsley

1 green cabbage (about 3 pounds), cut into 6 wedges (See *Note below)
12 small red new potatoes
6 small leeks (white part and 2 inches of green), well rinsed (See *Note below)
6 carrots, peeled and cut into 2 1/2-inch lengths
Salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
4 T. chopped Italian parsley

Place corned beef in large kettle or dutch oven. Add the onions, halved carrots, celery, and parsley sprigs (use seasoning packet if provided with your corned beef). Cover with cold water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 2 3/4 to 3 hours, turning beef over in broth every 30 minutes. DO NOT allow water to boil again; keeping at low simmer will ensure tenderness. When it is very tender, remove it from kettle and keep warm.

Strain the broth and return it to the kettle. Add the cabbage, potatoes, leeks, cut-up carrots, salt and pepper, and 2 T. of the chopped parsley. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover, and simmer until vegetables are tender, 30 minutes.

Arrange beef on warmed serving platter, and surround it with the cooked vegetables. Ladle broth over beef and vegetables, and sprinkle with remaining 2 T. chopped parsley. Optional - serve with Horseradish Cream Sauce (below).

*Note: Keeping the core in the cabbage wedges will help hold them together while cooking. Remove the core before serving. After thoroughly washing, leeks can be tied together with kitchen twine/string; remove for serving.

Horseradish Cream Sauce

This makes about 2 cups of sauce. Easy to decrease amounts, if necessary.

3/4 cup whipping cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup prepared horseradish, drained
2 T. Dijon mustard
Pinch of sugar
Salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste

Whip cream in bowl until it forms soft peaks. Combine mayonnaise, horseradish, and mustard in another bowl. Fold in whipped cream. Add sugar, salt and pepper. Stir well, and transfer to serving bowl.

Comments (46)

• chloebud
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Oops...forgot this option for another sauce, although the Horseradish Cream is my favorite. Also, as you can see, this one really makes A LOT! Easy to cut in half.

Mustard Cream Sauce

Makes about 3 1/4 Cups

2 T. butter
    2 T. flour
    2 cups broth from cooking your corned beef and vegetables
    1 cup heavy cream
    1 T. prepared horseradish sauce
    2 T. whole grain mustard (or add to taste)
    2 T. fresh chives, minced

To make the roux: Melt the butter in small sauté pan, then slowly stir in the flour and cook over low heat for about a minute, stirring constantly.

To finish the sauce: In a small pot, bring the stock, cream, horseradish and mustard to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and slowly add the flour/butter, a little at a time, until the sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Stir in the chives.

• User
    5 years ago

Love Corned Beef Brisket -- can't wait for St. Patrick's Day!

chloebud thanked User
  • Related Discussions

OT Another Joke

Q

Comments (3)
    roflmao oh Noooooooooooooo HA HA HA THANKS FOR THE LAUGH Did not know that one lol Lucy
    ...See More

Cook's Country Corned Beef & Cabbage

Q

Comments (17)
    DC, I do something similar with our corned beef. My husband is on a salt-restricted diet, but he & I dearly love corned beef. So when it's on sale for St. Patrick's Day, I get a hunk and soak it for two days, changing the water at least 2 times a day. Then I cook it in fresh water in my slow cooker. Once the water comes to a simmer/boil in the slow cooker, I change the water again. I know I'm losing flavor, but these are necessary steps for his health's sake. Yet in spite of all that water, the corned beef tastes pretty good -- much milder than regular but tasty nonetheless. So we can enjoy a corned beef & cabbage dinner and corned beef sandwiches for lunch the next day. And no swollen, painful feet or congested lungs from over indulging.
    ...See More

How do you make your corned beef and cabbage?

Q

Comments (9)
    I use a pressure cooker. I don't have the recipe right in front of me, but basically you put the corned beef and water in the PC on high pressure for about 50-55 minutes, release pressure and then add the cabbage, quartered or 'eighthed', bring back up to pressure for 5 or 10 minutes, release pressure...you get the idea. Google 'corned beef and cabbage pressure cooker' and you'll get a ton of responses. You can have it on the table in a little over an hour, and it tastes like it's been simmering for four or five. Since I got a PC I haven't made corned beef & cabbage any other way.
    ...See More

That corned beef and cabbage thread

Q

Comments (1)
    I made Irish Grinders last night with some corned beef I had in the freezer. I grabbed an extra one just in case around St. Paddy's Day but I did see some in my local grocery store last week.
    ...See More
  • chloebud
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Same here, Martha! I always buy quite a bit of corned beef this time of year due to the lower price. Nice to have some in the freezer!

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    5 years ago

Not a fan of corned beef (other than in a deli sandwich) and detest cooked cabbage unless it's red cabbage. We were once invited by friends of my husband's father to dinner, right after we'd moved to Maine - these friends of his had retired there. It was St Patrick's Day and she served corned beef and cabbage. I nearly died trying to take a few bites and stir it a bit on my plate. I just find it revolting.

Maybe it's because my ancestors were all English. Perhaps I'm a "culinary racist"!

chloebud thanked Anglophilia
  • Lars
    5 years ago

I love cabbage, and I also like corned beef (and pastrami), but DB will not eat beef, and so I have to settle for cabbage rolls stuffed with ground turkey. We'll be in Mexico (Cabo) for his birthday this year, and so we'll probably have seafood on St. Patrick's Day. I am guessing it will be shrimp, but I will have to see what is available. Neither of us like fish tacos, but we might give them a second chance.

chloebud thanked Lars
  • colleenoz
    5 years ago

You’re mistaken, Anglophilia, the English practically invented corned beef. Their army and navy lived on corned beef and pork.

chloebud thanked colleenoz
  • writersblock (9b/10a)
    5 years ago

I was just going to post that, colleenoz. Aand after all, New England boiled dinner is sometimes made with corned meat. They would have used it this time of year long before anyone had heard of St Patrick’s day, since the late winter/early spring was the time for using up the preserved meats.

My mom was from an old New England family and we had boiled dinner fairly often. Sometimes the brisket was corned, sometimes not.

chloebud thanked writersblock (9b/10a)
  • annie1992
    5 years ago

Chloebud, that sounds right up my alley, with lots of vegetables. I like the next day's corned beef hash better than I like the original corned beef, so it's worth cooking just for the leftovers. I usually corn my own beef, because corned beef has gotten so expensive and I can't really justify it when I have a freezer full of my own grassfed stuff. I more often use venison when corning meat, and I think that's what I'll do for St. Pat's.

I also love cabbage and potatoes (and nearly every other vegetable known to mankind, LOL) , and so the very Irish Colcannon is a favorite of mine. Must be the Irish part of me coming through.

I also know that corned beef most definitely isn't Irish, the Irish didn't usually eat much beef of any type, opting instead for oatcakes, dairy products (you can get a lot more dairy from one cow than you can beef) and occasional pork or mutton. Corned beef and cabbage for St. Patrick's Day is more of an American invention, but I like it a lot anyway.

Annie

chloebud thanked annie1992
  • colleenoz
    5 years ago

That’s funny, Annie, DD never cared for corned beef but loved the hash the next day :-)

You’re right about corned beef and cabbage not being particularly Irish, they’d more likely have collared bacon and Colcannon or champ.

• Steve J
    5 years ago

I make mine with Guiness and Beef Stock instead of the water and much prefer it over plain water. It gives it such a good flavor (does not taste like Guiness).

chloebud thanked Steve J
  • Angela Id
    5 years ago

Not a fan of corned beef (other than in a deli sandwich) and detest cooked cabbage unless it's red cabbage. We were once invited by friends of my husband's father to dinner, right after we'd moved to Maine - these friends of his had retired there. It was St Patrick's Day and she served corned beef and cabbage. I nearly died trying to take a few bites and stir it a bit on my plate. I just find it revolting.

Maybe it's because my ancestors were all English. Perhaps I'm a "culinary racist"!

What on earth did that contribute to this thread? Why bother?

I love corned beef and cabbage. Sometimes boiled, sometimes slow roasted in the oven. I make it several times a year.

chloebud thanked Angela Id
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    5 years ago

I also love corned beef and cabbage but have never used a recipe for it :-) And any meal that is suited to the use of horseradish as an accompaniment is fine in my book!! Cooked cabbage is wonderful, especially when cooked in corned beef broth......I'd rather have it cooked than raw in a slaw or salad. And then you can make bubble and squeak with the leftovers.....yum!!

This is another one of the few meals where I enjoy the leftovers just as much - if not more - than the original meal. Think I need to add corned beef brisket and cabbage to my shopping list.........

chloebud thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • chloebud
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Annie, hash is one reason I want leftovers. This time of year I buy corned beef at Costco or Sam's for a pretty decent price.

ETA - This soda bread has become a favorite of ours when I make corned beef and cabbage. The recipe is from Darina Allen. I found it some years ago on another food/cooking site where it was highly recommended. I've always considered myself "yeast bread challenged," so this is right up my alley. Sorry for the "off" format of the text...couldn't correct the spacing.

Herbed White Soda Bread (Darina Allen)

3 1/4 cups unbleached flour
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons freshly chopped herbs (such as rosemary, sage, thyme, chives, and/or parsley - your choice)
    12 to 14 ounces buttermilk

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Mix all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl, make a well in the center and pour all of the buttermilk in at once. Using 1 hand, stir in a full circle starting in the center of the bowl working towards the outside of the bowl until all the flour is incorporated. The dough should be soft but not too wet and sticky. When it all comes together, a matter of seconds, turn it out onto a well-floured board. WASH AND DRY YOUR HANDS

Roll dough around gently with floured hands for a second, just enough to tidy it up, flip the dough
    over. Pat the dough into a round about 1 1/2-inches deep. Sprinkle a little flour onto the center of
    a baking sheet and place the loaf on top of the flour. Cut a deep cross on it with a sharp knife,
    prick the four sections to let the fairies out. Let the cuts go over the sides of the bread to make
    sure of this.

Bake for 20 minutes, then reduce the heat to 400 for another 20 minutes, or until
    just cooked. If you are in doubt, tap the bottom of the bread: if it is cooked it will sound hollow.
    Cool on a wire rack.

• artemis_ma
    5 years ago

That horseradish cream sauce sounds great! I'm a big fan of cabbage, too.

Not this year, but next, I want to make my own corned beef from brisket.

chloebud thanked artemis_ma
  • colleenoz
    5 years ago

I usually make hollandaise sauce with a large dollop of seeded mustard stirred through it to go with corned beef. And I use about half ginger ale and half water to cook the corned beef.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    5 years ago

Yum! Thanks for sharing the recipe, chloebud. I love that stuff - but with mustard, not horseradish.

And FWIW, my dad's family is from England - and Jewish. We ate a lot of corned beef growing up, and my Lithuanian, formerly Catholic mom makes pretty great corned beef and cabbage, tho as a kid, the corned beef was always cooked and served without any additional vegetables. Side dishes were almost always boiled potatoes and sweet and sour red cabbage instead.

It seems a lot of Lithuanian foods and Jewish foods are quite similar, just with different names.

I imagine a more authentic Irish meal would be boiled mutton and cabbage - and potatoes, of course.

chloebud thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • chloebud
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Carol, I do love lamb but would have to say 'no thank you' to the boiled mutton. I bet you're right about it being a more authentic Irish meal. I remember my mom finding a recipe for oven roasted corned beef. It called for very little liquid and, though tender, turned out too salty for me.

• chase_gw
    5 years ago

Love corned beef but the cabbage and veggies not so much.

Each year we host a St Paddy's day get together. Instead of the boiled cabbage and veggies I make Colcannon which is a mashed potato , boiled cabbage, green onion , butter mix up. Soda bread for sure. Lots of Guinness and Irish music. It's one of our get togethers I enjoy the most.

Chloe will be sure to add your horseradish mustard recipe to the menu, sounds yummy.

chloebud thanked chase_gw
  • chloebud
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Chase, your gathering sounds fun...and I like Colcannon! :-)

• annie1992
    5 years ago

Well, what's not to like about Colcannon? (grin) It's potatoes and butter, along with other things, LOL.

Artemis, it's really easy to corn your own beef or other meat, as long as you are willing to sacrifice the room in your refrigerator to let the meat cure for several days. I bought a special Lock N Lock, just the right size, because I was constantly slopping the cure liquid or bumping the container or something to make a mess. Now I make the cure, plop in the meat, seal it up and stick it in the corner of the refrigerator where the container fits perfectly. Several days later, it's corned beef (or venison or whatever). And you don't have to use brisket, I find that eye of round makes a pretty passable corned beef, as do some of the other roasts. I know brisket is traditional, but it works with pretty much any kind of beef you can get economically.

Annie

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    5 years ago

For me it will be corned beef sous vided 72 hours.

Fork tender.

dcarch

• petalique
    5 years ago

I agree with corned beef and cabbage and leftovers — and I an bonkers about next day grilled hash.

I must avoid/limit saturated fat and sodium. Any non-tofu hope for me :-)

If so, “gray” or “red” (it seems that gray is better, but more difficult to find.

Q: I have some ~ old glazed crocks (, solid, clean, good sized, one had a cover), might I make my own?

• caflowerluver
    5 years ago

A corned beef lover here. DH and DS barely tolerate it but let me make it once a year. I grew up with my mom making it at least a few times a year. Loved the next day hash too. I throw in potatoes and carrots with the cabbage. Might try cooking it in Guinness this year, if DH can spare a bottle.

• annie1992
    5 years ago

petalique, I make my own in just a plastic lock n lock, before that I used a glass pyrex casserole, but the lid didn't fit tightly and it would spill if it got bumped. Just put the cure ingredients in the crock, add the meat, put on the lid and put it in the refrigerator. I add a small plate to keep the meat submerged. 4 or 5 days later you have corned beef.

I use this recipe and don't use the pink salt.

http://ruhlman.com/2015/03/how-to-cure-corned-beef/

Mine turns out like this:

And then I make hash:

Annie

• pkramer60
    5 years ago

And I can vouch for how good Annie's hash is for breakfast! So please, send my your recipe.

• 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

Chloebud, you know I love the Silver Palate gals! I don’t have that recipe, but that’s exactly how I do mine with the exception of the cloves… Thank you for the mustard horseradish recipe – sounds wonderful for corned beef and ham.

I followed Annie’s lead (and help) and made Michael Ruhlman’s Canadian Bacon for the first time this year – so good! Soon as I have a working kitchen I do want to make his Corned Beef… but I plan to sous vide it as dcarch says : ), then finish it with all those wonderful vegetables and cabbage. Our grocery store corned beef is also ridiculously expensive, and rather stringy.

...Oddly, I've never made nor eaten hash, we eat the corned beef before I get a chance to!

chloebud thanked 2ManyDiversions
  • annie1992
    5 years ago

Peppi, I don't really have a recipe. I just dice an onion or two and half a dozen potatoes, peeled or not, it doesn't matter. Toss them into a pan with some fat of your choice, although the kids like bacon grease and Mother would prefer butter. Let the potatoes and onions brown a bit, then add chopped up corned beef, again, as much as you want or have. Pour in about a cup of beef broth and add a lid, so the potatoes can finish cooking. When the potatoes are tender remove the lid. Don't stir it, let it get crisp on the bottom, then flip it and let the other side get a little crispy, again, as much as you want. You probably won't need salt, the corned beef is plenty salty enough, but freshly ground pepper is nice. Serve it with eggs and it takes me less time than American Fries and bacon.

2many, definitely try the corned beef. As I said, it doesn't need to be brisket, it can be any cut you like. I use eye of round or a venison roast, and it all turns out well. Corned beef is a preservation method that doesn't require any specific cut.

Annie

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    5 years ago

I use Annie's Ruhlman recipe. I make my own brine spice. Usually 2 days being often behind but still good. Toasted cardamon instead of cinnamon.

Looking forward to it! And always hash. 17th is right around the corner. Might have to smoke it since we most likely will be tapping our maples that weekend....still will be good. Need the wood fired heat since the maple run can be chilly.

• chloebud
    Original Author
    5 years ago

"...you know I love the Silver Palate gals!"

2Many, they were way ahead of their time all those years ago, for sure!

• colleenoz
    5 years ago

For my hash I always cook twice as much potatoes, carrots and cabbage with the corned beef as I will served for the first meal. Next day, dice the leftover potatoes and carrots, chop the cabbage, dice an onion (I have to use green spring onion tops now as DH can't eat onions), dice a goodly amount of corned beef. Fry the onion in plenty of butter and add the rest of the ingredients. Let the bottom get crispy and brown before you turn it. Do this a few times so you get lots of yummy crispy brown bits. We like lots of pepper on ours :-)

• annie1992
    5 years ago

Colleen, I sometimes also use leftover potatoes, but somehow, I don't usually HAVE any leftover potatoes, everyone likes potatoes, I guess!

sleevendog, if you smoke it, it's pastrami, I think.

Annie

• 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

(3rd time trying to post)

I'd read that somewhere, about smoking it making it more like pastrami. I'd like to do both : )

Annie, thank you for explaining it's the brine that makes it corned beef, and I can use other cuts.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    5 years ago

They're all three there, 2Many. Houzz is being very weird today.

Annie, that hash makes me sorry I didn't buy any corned beef when Aldi had little pieces last week. It's been years since I've had good corned beef hash.

• 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

Thank you for the heads up writersblock! I deleted the 2 extra. Good grief.

Let's see if this posts...

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    5 years ago

Yes, it's there. I'm still waiting for a post I made an hour ago in another forum to appear, though.

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    5 years ago

Posting is wack today.

Yes, smoking will be pastrami but I line a foil roaster with thick foil, then double parchment. It hold liquid great. Then cover with thick foil. (I re-use the foil pans). Just the last hour-ish I slightly open one edge so I get minor smoke. We always have the wood fired smoker/grill going in cooler weather when doing farm/garden chores early Spring. I'll roast some potatoes/veg as well. Probably cabbage, leeks, onions, escarole. Brussels/beets maybe.

• petalique
    5 years ago

Annie1992, thanks you very much. So it is that pink salt that gives it that red color? The nitrate/ite? Your CB and hash look so delicious. It’s 4 deg F here and I would love your CB hash. Friends used to make the best bestest Wisconsin Rubin sandwiches — home made everything. And served with delicious beer.

PS Thanks foryour woodchuck help months ago. Apologies for not getting back th you. I developed pesky tendonitis, then some neighbor applied for a permit to recycle parts of Chernobyl, so between tendinitis and efforts to thwart the recycling plant (my euphemism for some outrageous crazy land use), I ran out of the ability to type very much and my attention was focused elsewhere for the most part. And during that time I develop the cold from hell – the cold that wouldn’t leave it. The empty woodchuck trap is still exactly where DH left it. Now with a bit of snow on it. I‘d asked him 100 zillion times to please put it away, but he has his own ideas, apparently. Not being a gardener, he didn’t grasp that a lot of the dug up sand was over some of my bulbs and tuber plantings. Sigh.

• chloebud
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Bump for eld6161.

• rosesstink
    5 years ago

Getting ready for corned beef day tomorrow so read this. Sounds good. Does anyone else bristle at the idea of using vegetables to cook the meat and then throwing them away though? Maybe it's my frugal upbringing. I recently watched a cooking show where they did the same for another dish. Do you save those "seasoning" vegetables for another use?

• annie1992
    5 years ago

Throw them away? We EAT them! I was always taught that I had to have the colors of the Irish flag in there. White from potatoes, green from cabbage and orange from carrots. This year the orange might be butternut squash, which is not traditional, of course, but I still have a LOT of it in storage.

Annie

• chloebud
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The onions, carrots and celery you cook in the beginning with the meat are just aromatics to flavor the broth. You can certainly eat them, but they've cooked a very long time. The cabbage, carrots, potatoes, and leeks that cook in the broth for serving are preferable to me. Totally a personal preference.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    5 years ago

I never add any aromatics when cooking corned beef. Between the brining and the seasoning packet (and/or other seasonings you may add) it really doesn't need them. And given how long corned beef needs to cook, they would just be mush anyway. I add the veggies 20-30 minutes before the brisket is ready.

I couldn't wait for the 17th :-) Made it on Thursday and have had two dinners already and a corned beef sandwich for lunch today. Will probably make hash for tomorrow. Tonight, I'm going Italian and having spaghetti and meatballs.

• chloebud
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Until I came across the version I posted I also never added the aromatics. However, I found using them does enhance the flavor. I do agree about the "mush" part. Not exactly the best veggies for eating. The veggies you add for serving get cooked in the broth for about 30 minutes.

• annie1992
    5 years ago

petalique, the pink salt or "cure" or Tenderquick, or whatever the recipe calls for, is what makes the meat that oddly pink color. I used it at first, then realized that if I weren't going to try to store it (remember, it's a storage method), I didn't need the preservatives and just left them out, brining the beef and then cooking it immediately after brining, with no storage time in between. It doesn't have the same color, it's kind of, well, the color of cooked beef, which was odd to me at first, but then I got used to it and realized I was skipping the chemicals, which is a good thing. You can add them if you want, or not. Many people don't have them on hand and you can still make corned beef without them.

Hey, maybe corned groundhog. Yeah....

Annie

• T.W.
    5 years ago

I always save the veggies, but last year I roasted the cabbage instead of boiling it with the potatoes

What a difference. Even the grandkids like it.

I cut it into thin wedges or slices, tossed the pieces in a bag with olive oil and coarse salt and pepper

Roasted at 400° for about 20 minutes or so.

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County