SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sushipup2

Corned beef and cabbage time!

sushipup2
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Going to Costco today and will buy the corned beef for this week, or maybe the following weekend if our friend's schedule works with that. I cook mine in the crock pot with beer, onions, celery, the spice packet, and add the cabbage on top for the last hour. I usually fix carrots separately. And I'll make a mustard/horseradish/sour cream sauce just by taste,no recipe.

One year I made soda bread, but it wasn't worth it. I'll see what I can get at the store. Or maybe just toasted sourdough?

What do you serve with your corned beef?

Comments (65)

• deegw
    2 years ago

Every year for 36 years! Last year I struggled to find a corned beef, I picked one up last week. I boil it with pickling spice and beer. Serve with red potatoes, carrots and cabbage boiled in some of the skimmed corned beef water. Serve with spicy mustard and rye bread. Yum.

sushipup2 thanked deegw
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    2 years ago

No Sam's Club anywhere near me :-( I'd pick up a couple of extra and freeze them except my freezer is minuscule in size!

sushipup2 thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • Related Discussions

Corned Beef & Cabbage 101

Q

Comments (30)
    The Costco stores in Minnesota aren't carrying the same brands of corned beef they have in the past. I mentioned only a month ago in another thread that Costco for several years sold the Vienna Beef brand of corned beef. I have visited 3 Costco stores in the last 2 weeks and they all had the "Sy Ginsberg" brand at about $3.50 a pound. I looked at many briskets at all three stores. They were all extremely fatty. In fact - the fattiest and most disgusting corned beef briskets I've ever seen. Not even close to the quality of the other brands Costco has offered in the past. Now I know some people like well marbled, fatty corned beef. But I won't be buying my CB at Costco this year. Sushi - perhaps your Costco if offering a different product. I know the products vary by region.
    ...See More

Cook's Country Corned Beef & Cabbage

Q

Comments (17)
    DC, I do something similar with our corned beef. My husband is on a salt-restricted diet, but he & I dearly love corned beef. So when it's on sale for St. Patrick's Day, I get a hunk and soak it for two days, changing the water at least 2 times a day. Then I cook it in fresh water in my slow cooker. Once the water comes to a simmer/boil in the slow cooker, I change the water again. I know I'm losing flavor, but these are necessary steps for his health's sake. Yet in spite of all that water, the corned beef tastes pretty good -- much milder than regular but tasty nonetheless. So we can enjoy a corned beef & cabbage dinner and corned beef sandwiches for lunch the next day. And no swollen, painful feet or congested lungs from over indulging.
    ...See More

Your Favorite, T&T Corned Beef & Cabbage/Boiled Dinner

Q

Comments (15)
    Not an expert, but what makes it pink is the "corning"... a several day soak in sort of a brine. I don't think it technically even has to be done under refrigeration, but then again, not an expert. If hunka beef, no matter what cut, has not gone thru that "corning" process, would certainly turn out gray after just boiling... and probably wouldn't remotely taste like CB. I have tried to find out if a cut, other than brisket, can be used to corn. Not brisket is NOT corned beef unless it's corned... just a flat-ish cut of beef with LONG fibers running the length. Perfect for something slow... like simmering in a pot, in crock pot, or low and slow on a grill. I buy a corned beef, all ready to cook, in vac seals with that dinky packet of spices included. I add more garlic, a few more bay leaves and maybe a little more pickling spices. Then simmer on stove top till fork tender. Sometimes stop a bit short of fork tender, rub with spice mix for pastrami, and finish in oven. Chunked up cabbage and potatoes go into the liquid after the meat comes out till "done". I like a spicy mustard to dip the corned beef in. Like butter on potatoes and cabbage. Like a drizzle of vinegar on cabbage. Nothing fancy.
    ...See More

Corned Beef and Cabbage

Q

Comments (46)
    Annie1992, thanks you very much. So it is that pink salt that gives it that red color? The nitrate/ite? Your CB and hash look so delicious. It’s 4 deg F here and I would love your CB hash. Friends used to make the best bestest Wisconsin Rubin sandwiches — home made everything. And served with delicious beer. PS Thanks foryour woodchuck help months ago. Apologies for not getting back th you. I developed pesky tendonitis, then some neighbor applied for a permit to recycle parts of Chernobyl, so between tendinitis and efforts to thwart the recycling plant (my euphemism for some outrageous crazy land use), I ran out of the ability to type very much and my attention was focused elsewhere for the most part. And during that time I develop the cold from hell – the cold that wouldn’t leave it. The empty woodchuck trap is still exactly where DH left it. Now with a bit of snow on it. I‘d asked him 100 zillion times to please put it away, but he has his own ideas, apparently. Not being a gardener, he didn’t grasp that a lot of the dug up sand was over some of my bulbs and tuber plantings. Sigh.
    ...See More
  • chloebud
    2 years ago

I guess the upside is it makes the St. Paddy's meal even more special! :-)

sushipup2 thanked chloebud
  • sushipup2
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yes, I forgot the potatoes in my OP. Parsleyed and buttered, cooked separately. I find that the onions, carrots and celery that I add to the crock pot are pretty dead after the meat is ready, and not very edible. Chloebud, my sauce is similar to your recipe except that I use fat-free sour cream and a grainy mustard.

We got a lovely corned beef at Costco, Shenson's at $4.79/LB.

• chloebud
    2 years ago

@sushipup2, that sounds like a good price. I paid $5.89/lb at Sam's last weekend.

This is pretty much the way I've cooked corned beef for many years (courtesy of the Silver Palate girls). The veggies don't cook with the meat, but do cook in the broth once the meat is done. I always buy the flat cuts of corned beef...just a preference.

Corned Beef and Cabbage

1 corned beef (5-6 pounds)
    2 onions, studded with 3 whole cloves (onions can be halved or quartered)
    4 carrots, peeled and halved
    2 ribs celery, halved
    4 sprigs Italian parsley

1 green cabbage (about 3 pounds), cut into 6 wedges (See *Note below)
    12 small red new potatoes
    6 small leeks (white part and 2 inches of green), well rinsed (See *Note below)
    6 carrots, peeled and cut into 2 1/2-inch lengths
    Salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
    4 T. chopped Italian parsley

Place corned beef in large kettle or dutch oven. Add the onions, halved carrots, celery, and parsley sprigs (use seasoning packet if provided with your corned beef). Cover with cold water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 2 3/4 to 3 hours, turning beef over in broth every 30 minutes. DO NOT allow water to boil again; keeping at low simmer will ensure tenderness. When it is very tender, remove it from kettle and keep warm.

Strain the broth and return it to the kettle. Add the cabbage, potatoes, leeks, cut-up carrots, salt and pepper, and 2 T. of the chopped parsley. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover, and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.

Arrange beef on warmed serving platter, and surround it with the cooked vegetables. Ladle broth over beef and vegetables, and sprinkle with remaining 2 T. chopped parsley.

*Note: Keeping the core in the cabbage wedges will help hold them together while cooking. Remove the core before serving. After thoroughly washing, leeks can be tied together with kitchen twine/string; remove for serving.

ETA - Just wanted to say I don't always stud the onion with cloves...your choice. I do always add the contents of the little seasoning packet that usually comes with the corned beef. I also often toss in a clove or two of garlic with the meat.

• caflowerluver
    2 years ago

We cook it in the slow cooker with a bottle of Guinness, carrots and potatoes. I throw the cabbage in the last hour. I love corned beef but DH & DS barely tolerate it. My mom use to make corned beef hash the next day. Irish soda bread is good any time of the year. We just pick up a loaf from the store since I don't bake any more.

sushipup2 thanked caflowerluver
  • pricklypearcactus
    2 years ago

I don't eat meat so I don't partake in the corned beef experience, but last year I wanted to make something seasonal / festive for St. Patrick's Day and found and fell lin love with this irish soda bread recipe.

https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/grandmas-irish-soda-bread/

It's very easy to make and seriously delicious. It's so fast and yummy that I found myself making it on repeat. I use a cast iron dutch oven instead of a skillet but it works wonderfully.

sushipup2 thanked pricklypearcactus
  • Tina Marie
    2 years ago

@Bunny I'm with you! The Mr. or I neither like corned beef but I love cabbage and of course, potatoes! (Carrots too!!) Interesting reading here how people cook theirs. I cannot imagine boiling meat. I don't believe I have ever boiled any kind of meat. Slow cooked in the oven or crock pot would seem to me the best way to cook. Or slow simmered as Chloe mentioned.

Here in my area, St. Paddy's day is not really a big celebration. It was never something we celebrated growing up. Oh of course there were things in school to celebrate the day and mom might color some item of food "green" for us LOL but that's about it. I'm sure it is more important for those who are Irish.

@caflowerluver my mom would make hash but she would use leftover roast with potatoes and onions. I loved it!

sushipup2 thanked Tina Marie
  • lily316
    2 years ago

Don't eat beef or cabbage and am not Irish, so it's just another day.

sushipup2 thanked lily316
  • Elmer J Fudd
    2 years ago

We eat beef but not corned beef or anything made from the beef brisket - it seems to be a fatty cut.

sushipup2 thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    2 years ago

"it seems to be a fatty cut."

Not particularly. And corned beef comes either as a 'flat' cut (quite lean) or a 'point' cut (fattier) so you do have a leaner option. When cooked properly, beef brisket is a melt in your mouth taste treat. BBQ'd brisket is the best thing ever!!

If you are adverse to fatty cuts of beef does that mean you do not indulge in prime rib? Rib eye or New York strip steaks? Well marbled beef is usually more tender and with more flavor than very lean cuts.

• Mary506
    2 years ago

I am Irish but do not eat corned beef & it is not a traditional Irish dish. Rob333 is spot on with the lamb stew now that is a Irish dish.

sushipup2 thanked Mary506
  • morz8 - Washington Coast
    2 years ago

Costco has had Wagyu corned brisket the last few weeks. About $8/lb I think. I have a regular here I was going to cook - of course a package could always go into the freezer but I haven't pulled the trigger on the Wagyu yet. It does look fatty, as one would expect.

I haven't slow cooked one in liquids in a few years now, there was a method on cooking forum that sounded good and tried that - we liked it. Long slow low oven roast wrapped heavily in foil with just a little broth and seasonings. Cabbage is sauteed. New potatoes, carrots with parsley and butter on the side.

sushipup2 thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • chloebud
    2 years ago

^Agree with gardengal regarding the cuts. Some people prefer the point cut due to flavor from the extra fat. I find the leaner flat cuts have plenty of flavor, and any "fat cap" on them can be easily removed. Their rectangular shape makes slicing easy, and tends to look nicer on a serving platter. Cooking them at a low simmer is key since boiling can result in some toughness.

@rob333 (zone 7b), I also love lamb stew! :-)

• Elmer J Fudd
    2 years ago

Prime rib - no, I don't like it. Too fatty.

Rib steaks - ditto

BBQ brisket, ditto. I don't see what people see in it. If you take any kind of meat, cook it long enough so that it's no longer raw, and drown it in BBQ sauce, what you're tasting is the BBQ sauce. I love pork of all kinds but I don't eat pulled pork - it seems to be flavorless strings of meat (a lot of pork is tasteless these days) smothered in BBQ sauce.

I don't think I've ever had corned beef, whether on a plate or in a sandwich (like a Reuben), that didn't seem greasy. If you say it's not always greasy, fine. I haven't run into that kind and for that reason I no longer eat it.

• Feathers11
    2 years ago

In all my years of cooking, I'd never made corned beef until last weekend. With the exception of bacon, I'm not a fan of cured meats, although I didn't realize corned beef was available uncured.

In reviewing recipes, @Zalco/bring back Sophie!, a few recommended placing the corned beef in a pot of water and bringing to a boil, which apparently reduces some of the sodium content. Discard water and proceed with recipe as written.

I bought 2 different packages of corned beef--one from my local meat market and another from the grocery store. Neither had spice packets included, so I used pickling spice. One, I baked with a mustard crust, and made braised cabbage on the side. The other, I slow cooked with onion and spice for 10 hours, adding cabbage toward the end.

Guests enjoyed both. I'm still not a fan. I'm kinda over heavy foods by this time of year, and am looking for lighter spring fare.

And, yes, in my research, it seems corned beef and cabbage is an Irish-American tradition, not an Irish tradition.

sushipup2 thanked Feathers11
  • deegw
    2 years ago

I'm only a bit Irish, corned beef dinner is just a mini celebration to look forward to during dreary mid-March. If 3/17 fell on a school day my kid's elementary schools would have "leprechauns" do pranks in their classrooms while the kids were at lunch and recess. Put chairs on desks, scribble on the blackboard, leave a few treats.

Where I grew up there is a large Irish population. The Irish section of the city has a traffic light with the green bulb on top. Supposedly the only one in the country.

https://gizmodo.com/the-story-behind-syracuses-upside-down-traffic-light-1545301615

sushipup2 thanked deegw
  • gsciencechick
    2 years ago

Here is last year’s. We cook the meat in the Dutch oven on the stove top. I hope we can get the beef this year.

sushipup2 thanked gsciencechick
  • jane__ny
    2 years ago

Well, I'm Irish and my husband was Jewish. He loved Corned Beef, I was never a big fan but always made it for St. Patrick's Day. I always cooked it the way my mother did. Stove top, dutch oven, flat cut, vegetables went in an hour before serving. I always make Soda Bread with raisins and caraway seeds. Hubby loved it. l do like Soda Bread and really don't know why I don't make it more often. Tastes great with butter and coffee or tea.

Jane

sushipup2 thanked jane__ny
  • LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    2 years ago

Elmer - I feel sorry for you if your only experience with BBQ has been meat drenched in sauce. Great BBQ like is made here in Kansas City, the BBQ capital of the world, requires no sauce and is typically served with sauce on the side only. The meat rub used is what makes the BBQ unique. I use the sauce for dipping fries.

sushipup2 thanked LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
  • rob333 (zone 7b)
    2 years ago

Pass me your ribeye, prime rib and bbq. Actually, I'm like Lone Jack, it's dry rub stuff here (with sauce added at the end, if preferred. It's like fries. Good fries don't need ketchup).

sushipup2 thanked rob333 (zone 7b)
  • beesneeds
    2 years ago

My local market had corned beef tips on sale, I picked up four. I only have one little packet of brisket left in the freezer so it's time to stock up.

Yesterday I did two of them in the instapot, one at a time. Holiday brisket- red wine, vinegar, tomato, brown sugar, thyme, black pepper, mire poix.

Today I'm doing the other two corned. I feel like I didn't soak the ones yesterday long enough before cooking, they turned out a bit salty. So today I'm going to let them soak for a couple hours insted of 30 minutes before I start cooking them.

I usually keep 2-3 packets of the braising liquid in one cup packets in the freezer as well- for starter broths when I want to make a small batch with the liquid. They also make smashing stroganoffs. Since the Holiday brisket turned out a bit salty, I won't be keeping packets of that this time.

sushipup2 thanked beesneeds
  • sushipup2
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I love corned beef and pastrami, but I really don't like brisket. I don't do beef BBQ, and regular brisket, the stuff my DIL makes and swears it's melt-in-the-mouth tender is, to me, just plain stringy.

• beesneeds
    2 years ago

I do regular brisket too, but that's in the summer when regular flats are on sale and I can toss a couple in the smoker. I like corned points for holiday brisket and corned beef, but prefer regular flats for smoking.

sushipup2 thanked beesneeds
  • Suzieque
    2 years ago

In your opinions, is it getter to use red or gray corned beef?

sushipup2 thanked Suzieque
  • deegw
    2 years ago

I lived in NE for years and never knew that gray corned beef was an option. I suppose if you are sensitive to salt that the nitrate-free gray version would be a better option

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/why-ish-corned-beef-gray-new-england

sushipup2 thanked deegw
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    2 years ago

I make Cunningham's Irish Soda bread that she showed on Julia Child...4 ingredients, super fast and easy and I find it delish.

sushipup2 thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • Elmer J Fudd
    2 years ago

lonejack and rob, thanks for your condolences but I'm fine. I don't like slow smoked meat of any kind, with or without a sweet tomato based sauce.

Here's what works for me - get a nice Santa Maria tri tip, marinade it for several hours in a solution of soy sauce, a healthy squirt of sriracha, garlic minced or powder, vinegar and olive oil. When ready, fire up the charcoal Weber. Cover and allow enough time using indirect heat to raise it to about 115 deg internal temp. Get the coals hot (cover off) then sear both sides directly over the coals for 3-5 minutes each. Take it off, let it rest a bit, and slice to have perfect med rare delicious beef. I suppose it would work with bone in, skin on chicken too but with longer indirect heating and less time on direct so that it's fully cooked (not rare, of course) and not too charred.

I do something similar with pork ribs, sometimes with a tad bit of watered down (with vinegar) BBQ sauce at the end but not always.

• chloebud
    2 years ago

"Here's what works for me - get a nice Santa Maria tri tip, marinade it for several hours in a solution of soy sauce, a healthy squirt of sriracha, garlic minced or powder, vinegar and olive oil."

We love tri-tip and grill it frequently, including tonight. I have a couple favorite marinades; both include soy sauce. Yes, marinate for several hours...good stuff.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    2 years ago

Interesting how our tastes are so different. IME, you can marinate a tri tip from here to kingdom come and it will still be dry and tough! I want my beef well marbled if it is going anywhere near a grill so no thanks to tri tip. I'll take a rib eye any day of the week!!

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    2 years ago

I agree GG. Any portion of the sirloin including the tri tip has its uses but if I am going to grill beef it's going to be a ribeye, KC strip, or a fillet. Good beef should not need to be marinated before grilling to make it edible. I use the sirloin steaks cut thin for fajitas, cheese steaks, stir fry, or occasionally jerky.

ETA: to be fair we raise our own beef so we can be choosey on what cuts we use for grilling and what is used for other things.

Back to discussing corned beef! Sorry.

• chloebud
    2 years ago

Always interesting, for sure! We grill rib eyes almost every weekend. Love them, too!

Tri-tip can be tough since it comes from the bottom tip of the sirloin. I find it tender and juicy when not overcooked andsliced thinly across the grain. The cut has a lot of flavor on its own IMO, but I always like to marinate it.

• Elmer J Fudd
    2 years ago

"dry and tough!"

Any meat or fish that's tough and dry after cooking has been overcooked.

When I slice tri tip, I need to put paper towels around the cutting board because so much juice runs out. It's neither tough nor dry.

And yes, of course, sliced across the grain, as is properly done with any meat, poultry included. Maybe the tri tip in other parts of the country is a different cut or is handled differently. I would never buy grass fed tri tip, if that's what some of you are getting.

• Annegriet
    2 years ago

I'm with Mary. My family is Irish and we never ate Corned Beef and never had it on our many trips home to Ireland. We did lamb stew, Colcannon, brown bread with salmon, Ulster Fry, bacon/cabbage, fish-n-chips, boxty. I like St. Patrick's Day but I've never liked the hoards of drunks and the bar crawls--cheesey and somewhat offensive in my opinion. Also not a fan of the green bagels, green beer, and that weird shamrock shake at McDonalds. It's feels off-putting to me. As an aside--are you Bewley's, Barry's or Lyons for your tea?

sushipup2 thanked Annegriet
  • Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    2 years ago

annegriet, you don't care for a cartoon representation of your ethnic background, sprinkled with some racism and then run through the lens of people who know nothing about your country of origin? I can't imagine why not.

sushipup2 thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • kevin9408
    2 years ago

Found Corned beef (flat) on sale at Aldi's for $3.79 today so I bought two. I've never eaten Aldi meats but figured how could someone screw up corned beef brisket, or can they?

sushipup2 thanked kevin9408
  • kathy_t
    2 years ago

Annegriet - I'm a Bewley's fan.

• Annegriet
    2 years ago

annegriet, you don't care for a cartoon representation of your ethnic background, sprinkled with some racism and then run through the lens of people who know nothing about your country of origin? I can't imagine why not.

I should clarify--Irish grandparents. I actually had to explain to a coworker once why it was not appropriate to speak with "an irish brogue" all day long on St. Patrick's Day. It was awful.

sushipup2 thanked Annegriet
  • marilyn_c
    2 years ago

Chloebud, thank you for the horseradish sauce recipe.

sushipup2 thanked marilyn_c
  • chloebud
    2 years ago

Marilyn, you're welcome. :-)

This is another one I like with corned beef. Like the Horseradish Sauce, you can decrease amounts to make less.

Mustard Cream Sauce

Makes About 3 1/4 cups

2 T. butter
    2 T. flour
    2 cups broth from cooking your corned beef and vegetables
    1 cup heavy cream
    1 T. prepared horseradish sauce
    2 T. whole grain mustard (or add to taste)
    2 T. fresh chives, minced

To make the roux: Melt the butter in small sauté pan, then slowly stir in the flour and cook over low heat for about a minute, stirring constantly.

To finish the sauce: In a small pot, bring the stock, cream, horseradish and mustard to a low boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and slowly add the flour/butter, a little at a time, until the sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Stir in the chives.

• Suzieque
    2 years ago

In your opinions, is it better to use red or gray corned beef?

sushipup2 thanked Suzieque
  • LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    2 years ago

Depends if you want the nitrates (red) or not (gray). I've never seen a gray one sold around here so I can't be of any help. Just don't use the green corned beef :-)

2 years ago

Julia Child has a recipe in The Way To Cook, it yields the most delicious, gray corned beef.

2 years ago

Chloebud, I envy your family. Your recipes always look scrumptious :-)

• chloebud
    2 years ago

Zalco, that's so nice! Truth is I have my share of misses. :-/

• gsciencechick
    2 years ago

I found uncured corned beef at Earth Fare, a regional chain, so we will try that. DH will cook it tomorrow.

• petalique
    2 years ago

This is a very good Irish Soda Bread recipe. I’m with Jane and like it with raisins and caraway seed.

https://andreasrecipes.com/irish-soda-bread/

I rarely make corned beef because its salty and rich (fatty). I’d circled on the grocery store flyer with a large question mark. DH didnt ask, but just bought it. Now I’m not enthusiastic and forgot how to cook it. A million years ago, I had friends in Wisconin who made their own saurkraut and turned out excellent Rubin sandwiches. I’ve lost my appetite for those vert fatty sandwiches.

I like spring lamb, but that’s rich also.

sushipup2 thanked petalique
  • rob333 (zone 7b)
    2 years ago

I'm trying not to have too many carbs, but I gave in and made Irish soda bread. Maybe I'll slice off a piece or two for Thursday, and put the rest in the freezer. It's so hard to be good!

sushipup2 thanked rob333 (zone 7b)
  • gsciencechick
    2 years ago

Wow this was good. This is the uncured corned beef. The brand is called Garrett Valley Farms. $11.99/lb

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012