SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jdpyn2

Hardwood Shavings/Sawdust

6 years ago

I have watched these forums long enough to know potted citrus and in-ground citrus are managed in very different ways. That being recognized, have any of you experimented with including hardwood shavings or sawdust as a part of your potting mix?

I have a wood turning hobby (making wood bowls) and I make a lot of wood shavings. I have included it in compost, added it as a grass smothering cover, and have spread it around a couple of fruit trees. I haven't done it in controlled conditions so I can't say for sure if it has helped my trees but I sure am seeing great growth from three trees I have used it heavily around. One is a Ponderosa lemon and I have shared a few photos of it not long ago, another is a Japanese plum (loquat) that is growing like a weed, and another is a blood orange I almost let freeze to death this past winter. It's been just about long enough now for the shavings around the blood orange to begin degrading and enriching the soil and the tree has recently put out an above average water sprout growth spurt with really huge leaves. I do hesitate to say it's all because of the wood shavings because, as most know, we just had a really unusually wet August and I also added a lot of composted cotton boll material early this spring....just too many variables. Many of you know I don't like using herbicides around my fruit trees so I just let the grass grow...and it reasonably competes with my trees for nutrients and root space. Maybe the wood shavings are just wiping out the grassy competition.

So, again, with that long introduction, has anyone else used hardwood materials around your trees or as a supplement to your potting mixes and do you have any impressions on how it has helped/hindered your trees? I have lots of ideas on how it could really benefit my trees but will hold them for further discussion.

Comments (30)

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider