SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ftmiamibeach

new hardwood (white oak) finishing issues

ftmiamibeach
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

We are having new 4" white oak rift and quarter floors installed as part of our apartment remodel, we don't like the way the floors are turning out and we're having issues getting a straight answer from our GC. He has been great managing the entire project, but now we got to the floors and I personally don't know much about hardwood floor installation (never done it before) and don't know whether to trust what he says.

1. The workers scratched the floor in a couple of places, these scratches were very visible but I was told they would be sanded out. Floor is now sanded and they're still visible, although probably not horribly so, you can really only see them if you look for them, but they are there. GC basically says "you have a beautiful floor, don't worry about it".

Floors · More Info

2. At our contractor's suggestion we decided not to stain the floors at all, they actually looked beautiful before sanding and sealing. We tested a couple of Duraseal stains (including "Natural") and we liked the look of it without any, even though it did get a bit more yellow with the sealer. However, we were also told that any holes, gaps, imperfections, would be filled with the same wood's sawdust and glue but the guy doing the work ended up using regular Elmer's Wood Filler, the regular stuff that looks mustard yellow. He said that this is usually covered up by a stain, but we're not doing one. GC says these will be covered up at the end with a special pencil for this purpose, but there are a lot of places, hopefully I'm wrong, but I have a hard time believing this will look good retouched.

Floors · More Info

Floors · More Info

Floors · More Info

3. After sanding, buffing (not sure to what grade though) and 2 coats of BonaTraffic HD (GC says this is the best), some of the planks felt super rough, like sandpaper. Walking on socks you would get stuck on them and they felt uncomfortable with bare feet. I believe this was isolated to some of the "quartered" cut planks that have rays in a different direction, but it wasn't just a couple of spots.

Floors · More Info

4. There are blotchy spots eveywhere, especially near the baseboards, but also in the hallways where it looks like they came in one direction and then another. Not sure if this is from the sanding or the sealer, but it does not look good.

Floors · More Info

So that was last week, we told the GC how unhappy we were with the way the floors looked and felt, and the floor guy came back today and used an electric hand sander with a 220 grain. We walked around everywhere and it feels super smooth, but GC just warned me that when they put the sealer again the wood pores will open up and it will feel rougher, although he says it should be better than it was before. He also says that the blotchy spots will go away with the sealer but I'm skeptical because that was not fixed last time.

GC says I should trust him, that we will have a beautiful floor in the end, but I feel like they're either cutting corners or don't know what they're doing. I have never walked on a wood floor that felt that rough, or looked this blotchy and I can't imagine accepting that in my own home. He wants to finish the sealing, cover up with masonite and move on to other parts of the remodel but I feel like the floor needs to be fixed before continuing. My struggle is that I don't really know much about hardwood floors, but my gut tells me that something is not right here and I want it fixed before it's too late.

Am I overreacting? Please help!

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022