SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emlouhall

Help, I hate me new stained white oak hardwoods

emlouhall
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Ordered select white oak, boards ended up being no longer than 4 or 5 feet and had way more character than I anticipated, plus it had knots. Owner of hardwood company assured me they were the right floor (I had halted the project I was so concerned) we were on a timeline and had to move forward.

Custom stain was also a nightmare, see below pics for the look we wanted, and then pics of what we got. After a day or two of one guy just mixing different variations of ebony and grays, another guy came to help, it was looking too dark and the grains looked black and zebra like. So we started over, lightened it up a bit thinking that would help mellow out the dark grain contrast, and ugh, not happy with the end result. Looks Carmel brown. Not much I can do at this point, we only paid deposit of 50%, but we had to sign of on the custom stain sample so I don't think they'll come and fix it, and I'm not sure I want them to, plus it puts the rest of our project off schedule.

Thinking we'll hire someone else later this year to just come and sand and re-stain, will that be easier since it's new flooring? Was this in fact select white oak? Thanks for any advice on how to achieve that darker grayish stain, without going too dark, too gray or trendy (tall order, maybe that's the problem:). I think the grain soaking up the dark stain is what really through me off. If we could get the right mix, water popping would help with that.

Thanks!

Comments (49)