SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_22590553

Hardwood - replace the base? Size?

User
6 years ago

Next spring we'll be installing hardwood everywhere except the laundry room and bathrooms. Getting ready to start calling people now and I'd like to have a better idea of what we want to do with the base mouldings before we talk with anyone. We'll be using solid prefinished hardwood. Our current white base moulding throughout is 3.5" high. To save cost (no idea how much) considered installing wood to the moulding and adding quarter round or shoe moulding in white. I think that's just going to look really squatty and weird. Like I'll complain about it out loud it for a long time when I look at it weird. If we replaced the baseboard should we install the same size? I like 5" base but we have some crown moulding and that is 3 something" and that won't be changing. I'm not changing window trim either. Then I thought maybe just replace the moulding in the main areas and add the shoe/round moulding to the bedrooms. Then things aren't consistent throughout. Does that really matter for bedrooms? Resale not a concern. I know another option is to add other pieces and 'build' base or crown to make it appear thicker. Will we really ever do this? ....*shrugs* Ceilings are 8'.

At this point I'm thinking we should replace the base moulding with the same size but still am toying with the idea of just adding the shoe moulding to the base in the bedrooms. Thoughts? Thank you!

Comments (13)