SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20012809

The $1,500 sandwich-from-scratch ....

User
6 years ago

Interesting

The $1,500 sandwich-from-scratch guy: 'Now it's hard for me to waste any food'

Andy George spent six months and $1,500 assembling one sandwich from scratch, including making his own cheese and bread and killing a chicken – and credits the process with educating him about the global food supply chain

Minneapolis native and YouTuber Andy George took six months to create a sandwich and all its ingredients entirely from scratch; his video documenting the process has gone viral, with more than 1.4m views in the past two weeks.

Without the convenience of a supply chain, cheap labor, technological advancement, global food networks or even substitutes, it took George 16 steps to complete his meal and cost him a staggering $1,500 – for one simple sandwich.

George grew up in the suburbs, without an abundant amount of knowledge of farm life. He says it was pure curiosity that drew him to this experiment.

“The average person is less involved in the creation of their own food supply. And we do lose something by not having that connection,” he said. “It’s good to make your own garden and keep in touch and be aware of where your food actually comes from.”

Did this experiment change the way you see our global food supply?

Before I was mostly ignorant. I never really thought about it. I knew cheese was fermented from milk. Then I put it all together and mentally made the connection – personally doing every step gives me a new respect. Now it’s hard for me to waste any food, I want to use it all.

What do you want viewers to take away and learn from your experiment?

An appreciation for the invisible side of the society we live in, and the stuff we use every day. Also to learn about things that go into our food that people take for granted.

Comments (29)