SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spartanjim

Starting Over From Scratch

Jim
7 years ago

We've been talking about a kitchen redo for years and I decided to take the first step of considering what our options are. I thought I'd get suggestions from the group on a blank canvas.

I'll use the site's questionnaire to help flush out details:

What is your family composition? Me, wife, 17 year old daughter, 12 year old son.

How many kitchen workers are there? I cook main meals and the wife and kids make their own quick meals if I'm not around.

How do you see your kitchen used? The kitchen opens up wide to the great room so it's always been an area of congregation. Much more than just cook and cleanup. Homework is done there often. We entertain, informally, and the kitchen/great room area is where we flow between. The kitchen to great room area should be accommodating for hanging out everyday.

Do you have a separate DR? Yes, connected via doorway to kitchen. We use it frequently. We rarely use a small table in the nook area which is near the back patio doors.

Would you like to open up the kitchen to adjacent areas? Close it up? Do you plan to merge two rooms/areas (e.g., Nook and Kitchen into a Kitchen only) Where are you flexible? We're very flexible but I can't think of any other ways to open things up...it's already very open.

Can windows or doorways change size? Yes

Can they be moved or eliminated? Yes

Can windows be raised/lowered? Yes but not really applicable

Can any walls come down? Sure

Does the sink have to be centered under a window? No

Does it have to be under a window at all? No

Do you bake a lot and do you want a Baking Center? Not necessary

Do you want a coffee/tea/beverage center? No necessary

Do you want a snack center? Not necessary

What appliances do you plan on having (helps to figure out work flow, work zones, and types of cabinets...upper/lower vs full height, etc.)

• Range or Cooktop or Rangetop? we have a traditional 30" gas double oven with burners on top. It's counter height.
  • Single or Double or no Wall Oven? The range and oven is the same piece.
  • Warming Drawer? Not necessary
  • MW? (Advantium, MW Drawer, OTR MW/Hood, countertop, built-in, shelf?) currently it's OTR but we're open to change that if it's the best for layout. We do like the look of the range hoods over the range but not sure if we have the space to accommodate one.
  • DW? Standard or drawers? We'll be buying a new DW so any size can work based on recommendations. Standard is what we're used to.
  • Refrigerator (Top/bottom freezer, SxS, or all-fridge/freezer? Counter-depth (CD), standard-depth, or built-in?) We'll be buying a new fridge so any size can work based on recommendations.
  • Ventilation Hood? See microwave question.

Sizes of desired appliances: TBD by fit.

Pantry: Walk-in or cabinets? In the Kitchen or outside the Kitchen? It's in the corner of the kitchen. It's currently walk-in but as mentioned, if it's best for the layout, we can use the space for something else.

***** Very Important *****

Is there anything you:

• Cannot live without? Some sort of an island or bar type setup to accommodate people hanging out.
  • Definitely do not want? NA

That about covers it.

Thanks in advance for any layout suggestions!

Jim

Comments (9)