SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gonnabuildit

Flooring Pros; Need nail down hardwood floor acclimation/finish HELP!!

gonnabuild
6 years ago

Hello all,

We're about to replace all of the first floor tile in our home due to a water leak, and have pretty much settled on nail down, site finished hardwood. We're in the Dallas, Tx area, so are on a concrete slab. The floors will be installed over a vapor barrier, plywood, felt, etc. Still learning about this, but am getting some confusing answers from the flooring contractors we're getting bids from.

I know that the wood need to acclimate in your home, and thought that they needed to do that by actually putting the bundles of wood in your home for a couple of weeks before install. BUT, all of them (all well vetted) have said that they go ahead and put them down as soon as they bring in the planks, THEN let them sit for at least 2 weeks, then sand, fill, finish, etc.

When I ask them that question, they say some version of, "well, to do it that we, we would have to actually un-bundle the planks and lay them out on the floor, and we typically don't have the space or time to do that, even in a new build". While we want to have everything out of the house for as little time as possible, I need to get this right. What say you flooring pros?

Also, I'm getting conflicting answers on oil vs. water based poly finishes. Most are pushing water, but the one I trust the most says oil is better, as it is more durable, easier to re-screen and coat (also less expensive) but takes longer to dry and cure, so we'll be out of the house for a few more days. Not worried about a few more days out of the house after finishing to get it right. Also understand that the water stuff can be as good as oil ONLY if they use the really expensive (Bona HD???) finish. Any advice on finish would be great - we'll be doing a hand-scraped white oak with a medium-dark finish. Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide!!

Comments (21)