SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vicissitudez

Forgotten Roses, 1904

Vicissitudezz
6 years ago

From The Garden, March 5, 1904, p.166:

"Forgotten Roses."

It is not surprising that owing to the numerous new Roses many of the excellent older sorts have been crowded out. Beautiful as the Hybrid Teas unquestionably are, I think it will be a bad day for lovers of the Rose if they allow this group to drive out of cultivation many old and well-tried varieties of other classes that are too good to suffer extinction. I often wish there were a National Rose Garden, where every variety could be planted, so that rosarians could see for themselves the true value of each. How some of our much-praised Roses would have to give place to those less known but better, at least in the matter of "doing well" and in point of colour.

I append a list of a few varieties that are comparatively unknown, yet I can recommend every one with the full assurance that they would please the majority of the readers of The Garden. Among what are regarded as climbing Roses not one of the Rambler race can surpass.

Mme. d'Arblay, with its great erect clusters of flesh-tinted flowers. It is very strong and very suitable for climbing over trees or for pillars.

Robusta.—As its name implies, this is a very vigorous grower, allied perhaps to the Bourbons, yet not so good in the autumn as the group generally. The colour is very vivid, just the tint of Louis Van Houtte. What a fine Rose to breed

from!

Joseph Bernacchi, with its long buds, is as much a Tea Rose as Gloire de Dijon, yet it is grouped with the Noisettes, a somewhat mixed-up class to what it used to be. This variety is very pale yellow, and a grand Rose for bold bedding. So also would be

Germaine Trochon, for it is one of that excellent type represented by Gustave Regis and Billiard et Barré, that flower freely upon long, erect growths, making them such excellent Roses for bedding where a tall grower is needed.

Mme. Jules Siegfried is one of the best climbing Teas, colour creamy white, foliage grand, and altogether first-rate, although not found in many catalogues.

Monsieur Desir is one of those Roses that possess just a tint of violet, a colour to which many object, but in reality the violet shade is an attraction, blended as it is with velvety crimson. The buds of this Rose are perfect and its foliage very beautiful. Why will not nurserymen grow such Roses upon standards? They make far better heads than the dumpy Xavier Olibo type.

Fanny Stolwerck, with its mixture of copper, yellow, salmon, and carmine, is very charming, but it is scarcely known.

Le Soleil is quite good enough for exhibition, and as a yellow Rose is first-rate. The texture of the petals is remarkable. I prefer this to the tender climbing kinds, such as Henriette de Beauveau, even though the colour be not so intense.

Queen of the Belgians is an Ayrshire Rose that few growers are acquainted with. In refined form and delicacy of colouring it reminds one of the Tea climbers. It is excellent for pergolas, &c. There seems a general desire for brilliant scarlet and crimson flowered Roses, yet how few there are who plant

Gloire des Rosomanes. Seen at its best in autumn, it is a lovely Rose, of glowing colour and free, grand for bold bedding, low pillars, short fences, and any similar purpose or position. Another Rose closely allied to the Bourbons is

Mme. Pierre Oger, and it is one of the daintiest coloured varieties I am acquainted with; I may also say one of the most beautifully formed. Why cannot the National Rose Society institute a class for the most complete "collection of Roses seldom seen at exhibitions"? This would bring out many a gem that is unknown except to the few. In such a class there should be no limit as to how few flowers of each may be shown. A single spray of a sort would be sufficient in most cases.

Mosella.—One of a small group known as Hybrid Polyanthas- rather a misnomer, seeing that all are hybrids-but practically this Rose is nearer the Teas.

Mme. Fanny de Forest, a white Rose of exceptional merit, larger and better than Boule de Neige, and less inclined to malformation.

Comtesse Panisse.—One of the very best Teas grown. It is sturdy, of easy culture, and has thick-petalled, delicately-tinted flowers.

Jean Pernet.—A Tea Rose that is not grown half so much as it should be. It is vigorous, and the flowers are not inclined to split. Colour, a rich cream. A few good Hybrid Perpetuals will conclude my list. Foremost among these I may name

Duke of Connaught.—It is one of the most beautiful, with its crimson velvety shaded buds. It is a first-rate Rose for buttonholes.

Mme. Joseph Bonnaire.—A rival to Paul Neyron as regards size. A wonderful Rose when well grown. Perhaps rather addicted to mildew. The colour is silvery blush-pink.

Mrs. F. W. Sanford.—A counterpart of Mrs. John Laing in all save colour. This is very delicate blush white. Certainly a Rose to be planted freely where the older sort is valued.

Mme. Eugene Fremy is another of those extra large showy Roses of which Paul Neyron is a type. If they lack something in refinement, there is that sturdy vigour about them that one admires so much in garden Roses.

—Philomel.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living