SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
catsrose

Forgotten Oldies

catsrose
9 years ago

I've been reading "A Small House and Large Garden" by Richardson Wright, 1924, a book I picked up at a garage sale. Wright was an editor for House and Garden magazine. The book is a delightful assortment of mostly garden essays. In one of them he describes the climbers/ramblers he put into his own garden. There were several I have never heard of (as if I could have heard of all of them anyway!) I've looked them up on hmf. Among them are Alida Lovett, and also Bess Lovett, which he calls "fragrant, bright red." There are a couple of photos on hmf posted by Nasara of a pink rose which she says she is not sure is Bess Lovett. According to Richardson, it is not and someone might want to take those down.

Others listed are: Mrs. M.H. Walsh and Milky Way (the Wichurana), for which there are only a single black&white photo each. Then Mrs F.W. Flight, Coronation (Wichurana), and Purple East; all the photos of these on hmf are from Europe. Finally, Climbing Orleans, for which there are no photos, but lots of the the regular poly.

The rest are still commonly in trade: Paul's Scarlet Cl, Dr. Van Fleet, Silver Moon, American Pillar, Ghislaine, Dorothy Perkins, Aviateur Bleriot, Hiawatha, and Excelsa.

It's fun to read these old books, to see how fashion and philosophies change.

Comments (9)