SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hazelnutbunny

UPDATE: Adopt a Newbie: Partners List

hazelnutbunny
16 years ago

First, a brief re-hash of the guidelines:

Here are the guidelines for the swap, broken down to the responsibilites for each group:

NEWBIES:

~Must be a member of GW for LESS THAN 2 months. No exceptions.

~Must send your "oldie" a Thank You card & a gift. The gift should be a gardening item: nice gloves, a new tool..etc. If your oldie has a theme garden, it can be something for that. You should discuss this with your assigned oldie, to see what would be appreciated & accepted. Please try to make it unique & something you, yourself, wouldn't mind getting. Remember the value of the plants & advice you are getting in return. :O)

~MUST send your item ASAP, deadline being May 15th. Your oldie WILL NOT send until she/he receives something from you.

OLDIES:

~Wait until you receive your gift from your Newbie to send.

~You will send out 5 plants to your "newbie". These can be from the newbies wish or wants list...or just something you enjoy yourself & think they will too. Again, you should discuss this with your newbie. Sometimes gardening space is a concern...so you'll want to make sure you don't send them something invasive if they have only a 20x10 ft lot. :O) (been there, OOPS!!)

~Also include a few hints on packaging & shipping plants, RR swaps, exchanges...anything that you have found helpful over the months & years. You might also include a few growing & gardening hints. Every gardener, new or old, appreciates these!! :O)

Now for the FUN part!!

Newbies, meet & greet your GWE's!!

GWE's, welcome your newbie!!

Allison & Grovespirit

Peony3 & Pat

Christie & Becky

Kathy & Marie

Lisa & Tracy

Aimee & Mao

Raven & Pixie

Sassy & Sassy

Em & Melinda

Gardenkitteh & Melissa

Comments (150)

• tracyvine
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hee hee, peaking in your windows, that's how! LOL!

Woo HOO, LISA! Come on Girl, you can do it!

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    16 years ago

Tracy,
    I cant say I laugh at the computer much but I did today! That photo cracked me up.
    Hazelnut, my new guess is 18th and he's turning 31

• Related Discussions

UPDATE: 2nd Annual 'Adopt a Newbie' #2

Q

Comments (51)
    Jaynine~ I'm sorry to hear that! Hillbillygal & Fairyoak- With the drop out of Jaynine, we do not have room for any more Newbies. :O( Please come on over to the MNF thread, though....we ALWAYS have room for Newbies there! :O) NEWBIES: 1~ Cindy (cjcjmass) ** 2~ Deb (murphysmom)** 3~ Mary (prayerrock)** 4~ Carrie (barefoot contessa) ** 5~ Timmy (timmyhotwheels) ** 6~ Nichol (gardenmom2) ** 7~ Sherry (weineydog8) ** 8~ Patti (patti1957) ** 9~ Joseph (jdkind) ** 10~ Matt (Matthewhenry) ** 11~ Michael (riverdank)** 12~ Renee (eradams05) ** 13~ Billie Jo (cntrygrlathrt) ** 14~ Holly (reeselayne)** 15~ Angela (angela00) 16~ Lorraine (paradisa)** 17~ Dani (dbrown1973) ** 18~ Claudia (claudia claymama) 19~ Cindy (maimejo) 20~ Shannon (njcwgrl)** 21~ Wendy (loudbaby) ** 22~Jaime (ashcraftbunch) 23~ Anna (millna2) 24~ ? (Jaycetiger)color> E.G.'S: 1~Mao (mao_tse_mom) 2~Kami (kamiljablo) 3~Linda (lindaruzicka) *2 4~Wendy (sassybutterfly) *2 5~Lisa (ishareflowers) 6~Michelle (micyrey) 7~Nikki (nikkineel) 8~Tammy (greenthumbgrow) *2 9~Kathy (jaleesia) *2 10~Divahethr *2 11~ Dan (dan the mailman) 12~ Pat (pat6) 13~ Diene *2 14~ Karen (kalena67) 15~ Toni (dirtdiggin) 16~ Annie (canyonwind) 17~ Carol (veeja11) 18~ Melissa (hazelnutbunny)color> Also, if I haven't received your information (Newbies) PLEASE SEND THIS IMMEDIATELY! I am assigning partners tonight, and hope to have them posted in the morning. Again, if there are **'s by your name, I have your info. THANK YOU! :O) Melissa
    ...See More

UPDATE: Adopt-A-Newbie ongoing list 3

Q

Comments (150)
    Hello everyone, I am from new mexico, zone 7a. I have been using the site for reference for quite a while now and finally decided to make an account. I am an avid seed collector (and grower of course) and was quite excited to find this forum. This newbie board is a great idea and I will definitely be contributing to it in the future :D At the moment I am living in an apartment so I am doing container gardening mostly, flowers and herbs atm, also trying a passion flower vine and a few silk trees. I am interested in succulents, cacti, and really I am open to try anything new. I really want to start growing most of my own food within the next couple years so veggies of all kinds would be greatly appreciated. I have more than one property I am growing at, so I am in no way limited on the types of plants I can grow. Thank you for the help and I look forward to our future exchanges :D -Gabe
    ...See More

UPDATE: Adopt a Newbie- ready to go

Q

Comments (55)
    Today I received the box Tracy sent! It was packed with goodies. Tracy even included a bottle of her homemade vanilla! She sent me an interesting book and some organic gardening magazines. And last but not least, she included a ziploc bag stuffed with seeds. She sent many items from my wish list and even included some rare ones. Due to her being ill with the flu and complications, Tracy was unable to mail plants at this time. But she has offered to send plants in the spring. Tracy has also been very helpful and informative in her emails. I am very grateful to this caring person. Diene, if you host a similar swap next year, I would love to adopt a newbie. Thank you for hosting this one! Thanks again so very much, Tracy! -Rebekah
    ...See More

UPDATE: Adopt-A-Newbie ongoing list 3

Q

Comments (72)
    Hello. I am trying to figure out how to get on the adopt-a-newbie list. We are collecting seeds to try to grow our first garden. Apology in advance if I posted this in the wrong area or on someone else's post or request. Thank you in advance for all your help.
    ...See More
  • emsgarden
    16 years ago

How about May 18th and 28?

(whispers to bunny - I did the same thing - mine is 6 years younger than me) LOL

• emsgarden
    16 years ago

Oh shoot - I didnt notice ishare's post - havent had my coffee yet - change that to the 16th and 28.

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yay! Em's got the correct answer! :O)
    His birthday is May 18, and he'll be a whopping 28 years old!! LOL
    (BTW: I told him the answers ya'll were giving about his age...and he just wailed "It's the hairline, isn't it??!" LOL I said...WHAT hairline! -yes, I"m ornery sometimes!!)

Miss Em, please email me with your address so I can get your prize out to you.

Thanks for playing, everyone!!

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    16 years ago

Hey, I guessed the 18th first!!lol

• emsgarden
    16 years ago

Bunny - sent you an email through here - let me know if you don't get it Em.

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry, Ishare! LOL
    Just noticed Em's post, since she guessed the correct age, too!
    Well, golly...send me your addy, and I'll get YOUR prize out.

Preggo bunnies do not a good judge make. LOL
    Bad case of the D.I.P.S. (dumbness induced by pregnancy symptoms)

• emsgarden
    16 years ago

Yeaaaa ishare - congrats! I'm sorry I didn't notice your post before I posted mine.

Tracy - as usual toooo funny - where do you find all the graphics?? Are we sowing more seeds today?

Thanks bunny for the contest - it was fun.

Em

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Good Morning! I see we are off to a great start! Wow! Congratulations Em and Lisa!

Em, I find them on photobucket. Just type in a search for what you're looking for and they come up with a gallery of funny things to pick from. It's the same as posting a picture, copy the html code and paste it back here in the message box. Ohhh, you're a cradle robber too? Waggling my eyebrows! Yep, Emma and I have a date to sow more seeds today. We were talking about it last night. She is all for filling up more trays with me! Yay!

Lisa, giggles and gardening go hand in hand, who ever said it has to be all serious business? LOL! Did we forget to tell you that some of us are just a little crazy around here? It's contagious too. Watch out!

Bunny, D.I.P.s? I love that! Wish I had thought of that when I was suffering from it! See how bad my brain function was? Just not clever at all when the hormones are flying.

• wynative
    16 years ago

Melissa -
    ~ Ok..I am feeling queasy, and need to take my mind off it. :O) ~

How, when and where did I miss this discussion???? Yahoo! Adora gets to be a big sister! Congrates on another baby bunny :) I hope your 'queasies' go away quickly...

Look what bloomed for me this morning!
    {{gwi:1255308}}
    I have been watering & babying all of my Amaryllis since November and it is finally starting to pay off! I purchased a 'Christmas White' in December that bloomed for me in December and it has a new bud! I am hoping the others will be showing themselves off pretty soon also.

Marie

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    16 years ago

Hazelnut,
    I just love surprises! I'll send you my addy in an email. Thank you

Tracy and everyone else,
    I just love this group, I look forward to popping in and reading the posts. I'm having a great time!I joined a round robin that lasts a year and hardly anyone posts. I just love you guys! I'm off to finish cleaning the house so I can get outside. It's 70 already!!
    Have a great day everyone.

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Marie, your amaryllis is gorgeous! I love the color! Congrats on your new buds and blooms!

Tracy

• jaleeisa
    16 years ago

Congrats Em and Ishare!

LOL! I'm a cradle robber too! I'm 38 and Cliff will be 33 in August! How amazing to find so many with younger men in the same place!

Well, I've been busy in the yards and with job hunting *making face* I really hate interviews. And I really hate the fact that despite the fact that I've been an office Administrator for the last 10 years and am conversant with most programs known to man, that since I don't have collage courses and certifications that other, younger, prettier and more revealingly dressed candidates are more qualified! Okay, yeah, I'm being catty here. But that girl's skirt barely covered her rear! And her shirt was certainly not what I'd call business like! *sigh* I guess I need to take some collage courses, but that takes money and time away from working to support my family (like I'm managing to do that comfortably right now :P )Not to mention I want to work! Not go back to school!

Anyway, weather's suppose to turn stormy today, so I'm gonna head out and weed in my beds before it starts and take out some frustration after that interview this morning where it will do some good! Can't wait til this fall to start my lasagna bed plans.

Kathy

• sassybutterfly_2008
    16 years ago

I agree with you Ishare... I am popping off and on all day if and when I have time just to see what someone's written next! It's like having a new group of friends and I'm really enjoying it!

Well... I just planted a bunch of Easter lilies I got for a buck each at Kroger.. some are still even blooming! AND they're the fragrant ones.. yumm! But it's hot.. so hot already.. supposed to get up to nearly 80 today! *wiping sweat offa my neck..lol Back out I go to plant some more cheap goodies!

Hugs,
    Wendy / sassybutterfly_2008

• emsgarden
    16 years ago

Marie - beautiful bloom! I have one that is just about ready to open - can't wait!

This is a great bunch here and i too check it on and off all day just to see what everyone is up to.

Kathy - that really stinks - Hope you find something soon. I have similar problems - have 23 yrs legal experience but no college degree or paralegal certificate - get turned away for that or they will say - sorry overqualified - what the heck does that mean???? they don't want to pay what you are worth!! grrrr! I've just started job hunting after my two month vacation. Don't you just hate interviews? I totally do! Another cradle robber eh? lol I always dated older guys, my kids dad was 7 years older, but I wouldn't trade my younger guy for all the other men in the world! He is a sweetheart to the nth degree!! And to think I tried to break up with him years ago b/c I told him I was too old for him and he needed someone younger that he could have babies with (he had never been married or had kids). He refused - thank God! :) Altho he did freak a little when we finally got married and he realized he was now a "paw-paw" LOL

• jaleeisa
    16 years ago

Em, yeah, it really sucks. I hear the same thing. Either they want someone with all the bits of paper and NO experience, or they say I'm overqualified, even when I'm willing to work for the wage or salary they've offered. It really yanks my chain. Is it that they don't want to pay what I'm worth, or fear needing to give me raises? Or is it that they're worried I might be after their job down the road? I would say it's up to me to decide if I want to work for less than my skills are worth. I need a JOB, so if I want to work for what they're offering, that should be my choice, shouldn't it? When I mentioned this, very politely and tactfully, to one hiring manager, I was informed that I would become dissatisfied and look for a higher paying position elsewhere. This was said for a position where I had stated that I would be more than happy to preform the duties for the amount mentioned, that it was actually $2.00 more an hour than I had received at my last position and that I believe in staying with a company once I've committed. In the last 12 years I've worked for two companies. One I left because I was moving to Oklahoma and took a glowing letter of reference with me and the other I left when they closed the local office down and reabsorbed marketing into the parent company(I worked until the last day closing down that office!) and I didn't want to move back to Texas and disrupt my life and children here. And again, was presented with a glowing reference letter. GRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Anyway, I had always dated older men too, until Cliff. My first and second husbands were at least 3-5 years older than I was. i was in a similar situation with Cliff. He'd, well, as far as he'd known at the time, never been married before. His ex-girlfriend (later we found out they were actually common law married and he had to get a legal divorce!) had several children and he'd helped raise two of them to adulthood in the 7 years they were together. He has no children of his own. But he's taken to mine as though they are his. Says at least they don't have the police calling almost nightly like his ex's kids did. He's wanting to legally adopt my younger three after we get married. and hopefully we'll be blessed, though it will be difficult at the moment because I had a no cut, no burn tubal clamp after Devin was born. And after that, about three years ago, I miscarried. Cliff says that if we do, it will be a wonderful blessing, but if not, he has children (mine). It never ceases to amaze me how much he loves them and feels they're his. Of course, Vincent is just 10 and Devin 8. So he will be the major male influence in their lives. He also gets along VERY well with my older children.

I never thought I could find a man like this, didn't even know they existed! He treats me like an empress, spoils me unmercifully and every look and word is filled with love. And it's even more wonderful after being together for a year. LOL! And the funny part is he looks really mean! But he's my big teddy bear!

Kathy

• sassybutterfly_2008
    16 years ago

I guess I'm a highchair robber cuz I went with someone older!?!?! lol

Hugs to you Kathy, I know you must feel incredibly frustrated.....

~Wendy / sassybutterfly_2008

• gardenkitteh
    16 years ago

Younger men are the only way to go. That way you can train them properly, and they don't come with bad habits that you'll have to break them of.

Wait. Did I say that out loud?

Seriously, my husband is six months younger than me. I know that doesn't sound like a huge age difference, but when we met in college, I was 18 and he was 17.
    Mmmm. . . Forbidden fruit. . .

And even now, when he puts on his baseball cap and glasses, I'm afraid to hold his hand in public or I'll be arrested. "He's twenty six not twelve! I promise officer!"

• maozamom NE Ohio
    16 years ago

Marie- such a beautiful bloom is worth the trouble.

My Dh and I were both still in the cradle when we married. Our kids are older then so many of you.

• maozamom NE Ohio
    16 years ago

I'm in the planning stage for my garden shed. I'd love for everyone to look at the pictures of my chicken house and make suggestions. What would your dream garden hideaway include?

Here is a link that might be useful: Chichen house

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

I love your chicken house, Mao! I especially like your rooster statue out front. He made me laugh! I think you need a little potbellied stove in there when you have the itch to pot up some seedlings in the winter time. And a nice bench for your pots and some little shelves for some supplies, maybe under the bench. A nice rocker in the corner near a bookcase with some gardening books, and sketch pads too! Oh, I would have a lot of fun with it! Some cute garden themed curtains in the windows too... I can't seem to stop! Help!

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Lol! Down, Tracy!! :O)
    Hey, I could use your "expertise" on my root cellar project! I'll post some pics tomorrow & you can give me some ideas. It's an ugly concrete block thing now, but we're going to rock the outside & put an arbor above the doorway....with a small rock "patio" out front...maybe a fire pit. It'll make more sense when I post some pics.
    I promise! LOL

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Oh, I almost forgot, hang an old patchwork quilt on the big wall with no windows! LOL! Ok, I'm done, I'll sit and be quiet now, I promise! LOL! I love to decorate other peoples stuff! Bring it on Bunny!

Lisa, sorry I missed your post earlier! I know exactly what you mean about some of the groups being more quiet than others. In my experience, anything the bunny lady hosts has a tendency to be a rip-roaring good time. It is always fun when she is around!

We had a beautiful day here and we got some more trays filled. More yard clean up. The weeds are on a mission this year. I pulled tons of the little buggers today. Grass seems to be invading the main bed of my rock garden. Got the old hoe out and got busy! I hope everyone had a productive day out in the yard too!

Smiles!
    Tracy

• maozamom NE Ohio
    16 years ago

Don't stop Tracy. I want all the ideas I can get. I actually have a small potbelly stove in my front yard that I was planning to remove. maybe I can convince my Dh to install it in my shed. We're planning on using an old kitchen sink connected to a hose and it will have electric.
    I like the idea of sheers on the windows so that they blow in the breeze. I have a nice Rocker, like the one in the link, up in my attic that I had forgotten about. Thanks for reminding me.

If you look close you'll see a small rooster at the lower right corner of the one picture. I'd like to get another and paint them yellow. I live in town so these are the only chickens I can have.

Post your pictures Bunny. WE can all help each other on our projects. Will this be a working root cellar or are you hoping to convert it to other uses? Hey, my whole house is an "ugly concrete block thing" but it's also home and I love it.

mao

Here is a link that might be useful:

• maozamom NE Ohio
    16 years ago

Doesn't feel good to get your garden beds all cleaned up? We've had perfect weather for yard work this week but even better for sitting on the porch. I had two different pedestrians stop this week and tell me my garden was pretty but it looks like a lot of work. They don't understand that I enjoy myself and when it feels like work I take a break until it's fun again. What did you plant Tracy? Good luck with your trays.

• christieb199
    16 years ago

Wow, I feel like I missed out on so much!

Tracy, I have lots of projects that I want to do this summer that I could use advice on, but it is nothing that I can decorate like a cool chicken house.
    Well maybe when I start building the greenhouse but I am still in the collect materials phase at the moment. I picked up another truckload of bricks today. It was a beautiful day today and I think I have lost a couple pounds in sweat, lol.
    If anyone is in my area (pittsburgh) and would like to build a greenhouse out of windows, there is a guy that I know that has about half of a garage filled with old windows.

When I was just getting out of highschool, I usually always went after the older men, I always thought they were a little more mature than the men that were the same age as me (at the time 19). That is usually the case around that age. I have been with Jason since then, and we were together about 6 months and then moved in with each other. It was a long distance relationship for awhile, because I met him right before he was about to move back home to Philadelphia, but shortly after we were actually seriously dating, he moved back here to Pgh. He is great in so many ways, and as time passes on he surprises me with how much he is willing to do for me. I still am in awe that he is putting up with all my projects that I want to do. I could have swore I was going to be loading bricks, getting truckloads of dirt, and building a greenhouse all by myself! ;)

Lisa, I got your package today. Super, super package. I can not believe all that you sent. I will be busy for the next couple years, lol. I wish there were more than 24 hours in a day, and that I did not get tired so I could garden all the time! Thank you so much!

Christie

• maozamom NE Ohio
    16 years ago

Christie, no fair! Teasing us that you received a package but not sharing the contents.

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Good Morning! We got a frost last night! I am so happy I haven't taken the tops off my ws containers yet! I am hopelessly forgetful about covering things back up when frost is coming our way. Whew!

Mao, I love that rocker. It will be perfect in your coop! I peaked back in your album again and see the small chicken. He is a cutie! Over the past few days I sowed Zinnia Enchantress Giant, Begonia Royal Picotee (apricot and red blooms), Coleus Black Dragon and Rainbow Mix, Coreopsis American Dreams, Campanula Glomerata Acaulis (white bellflowers), Perennial Geraniums Splish Splash, Bill Wallis and Visions, Echinacea Pallid Hula Dancer, Chelome Fall White (white turtleshead), and finally Lychnis White.

My husband has gone a little nuts with all my ws containers and now my seed trays on top of that! He is just shaking his head wondering where all of it is going to go. I keep pointing out that we have the great big lasagna bed and we tore out the front bed so we have tons of space, not to mention there is always room in the shade garden for my little turtlesheads. He thinks I am crazy!

Oh, I was thinking about the work table for your coop again. Maybe some little curtains for in front of the shelves of the workbench. Are you going to pour a concrete floor in there or use the bricks that you have in there for the floor? I think some nice long shelves that run along the top of the walls for any little chicken knick-knacks that you fall in love with. You can bring them home to roost on the shelves.

It is so nice when people say nice things about our gardens. It feels great. They can be a lot of work but you have the right idea, take a break until it's fun again. Sit outside and look at what you've accomplished and before you know what happens you are planning the next part! lol! I love your hosta collection. They are something that I have been adding to my shade gardens. I have been going through the catalogues to see what I am adding next. A friend told me that Gilbert Wild has an online sale going on right now. I need to check that out before I miss it completely!

Christie, I know when we get to chatting on here things can really fly! I always enjoy coming to the threads to see what everyone has been up to. I wish I lived closer! I would love some of those windows! We are about 3 hours west of you (outside of Cleveland). You're hubby is great for supporting your projects! Mine is too but he does like to grump about it a bit before he helps me out. He just doesn't share my gardening bug like some of your hubby's do. You are very lucky to have such supportive men!

• wynative
    16 years ago

THanks to all that oohed & aahed over my pretty flower :) she is very pretty!

Mao ~ great job on the 'chicken coop'! Your medal roosters are neat. When you have all the other suggestions done, please post more pictures.

We are suppose to have another freeze tonight and possible snow &/or sleeting rain on Saturday! Yuck but if we do I hope it is more in the form of rain so that I don't have to water on Sunday. My seedlings are starting to take over my entire house, it needs to warm up and stay that way. I didn't WS this year due to the new puppy and her obsession with shaking all my garden pots to see how far she can fling the soil. LOL It is kind of cute but I am really tired of repotting the rooted cuttings of trumpet vines and I think she ended the life of my new red & white striped Peony Tree by munching all the outer bark off of it :(

Happy Thursday !
    Marie

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok, here are the pictures of our root cellar. (sorry they're so big, I thought I made them smaller than that...)
    The ideas we have so far are to rock the outside - or make it look like a log cabin, we're not sure yet. but the entry has a walk already, it's hard to see...but we will make a raise flowerbed on either side of the walkway to the door, with an arbor over that. Of course, climbing roses to go on that. :O)

The mock orange that's there now (the big green thing to the right) will come entirely out, as will the magnolia to the left. We're going to put a "patio" out front. We're also going to make a stairway on either side of the building, going to the top. On the top, it's nice & flat...so we'll be doing another patio up there with a fire pit. It's got a great view, and it's really quiet, too.

Of course, we've got A LOT of work to do, taking out the trees & bushes around it. But we've got to do that with the entire hillside.

Mainly, I need ideas for the inside. I'd like to combine the use...store canned goods in there, obviously, but also I'd like to have a potting bench in there, at least some shelving to organize things.

Anyway...just throw out any ideas ya'll might have. These are just ones I"m playing with at this point. :O)
    {{gwi:1262715}}

{{gwi:1262717}}

{{gwi:1262718}}

{{gwi:1262720}}

{{gwi:1262721}}

{{gwi:1262722}}

{{gwi:1262723}}

• sassybutterfly_2008
    16 years ago

Well bunny.. I sure wouldn't mind taking some cuttings of Mock Orange off your hands!! lol You've got some gorgeous stones there to work with! lucky you :) What a great idea to use the top for the view!!! That's gonna be just lovely when you're done!!!!!!! Wish I could come help lol

Hugs,
    Wendy /sassybutterfly_2008

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Oh Miss Bunny! I am coming over right this minute to steal your magnolia tree. I love those so much! I desperately want one.

I would love to plaster that ceiling and fresco some beautiful climbing roses on it. I love the way it arches! Your plans sound perfect to me. I think you need to put a window in near the door. Maybe just a 4 pain one that has a hinge to open up like a door to let some light and fresh air in when you are putting around inside.

Maybe a nice potting bench for you too with a stool for under the countertop. Some nice bright white wicker, a chair and foot rest. Some doors for your shelves with the canning jars and then open for storage on the shelves that would hold your pots and gardening tools, seed boxes, etc.

I wanna come over and play at both of your houses to help decorate. :o)

• emsgarden
    16 years ago

Just popping in to say hello to all - will be back later this evening! Em.

• maozamom NE Ohio
    16 years ago

Tracy, we stayed in the forties last night. I didn't even know there was a chance of frost in the area. I'm worried that we'll get a freeze Tuesday. Some of my perennials could be damaged. I like your list of flowers you sowed. You're going to have a beautiful garden. My DH is all for me having more flowers. He's been working a bed with rubble buried in it. I've told him to take it easy but he wants to have it ready to plant soon. We're going to need to pick up compost from the local Lawn Waste Management to make up the volume of all the concrete he's taking out and it's only open a few hours a week, so that will lose us time. The shed has a concrete floor except for a section of about 3'x 10'. We do plan to use the bricks in that area. I think I have my husband convinced he should set up the stove.

Bunny, I see a gnome home or a hobbit house there. In addition to the jars you should have herbs, garlic, and dried flowers hanging from the ceiling. A primitive table and stools or bench. Faux fur or plaid textiles to soften the hard edges. Try and keep modern items out of sight.

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

Mao would you come here???? I want a gnome house tooo!!! Sheesh you and Tracy have such great ideas I wonder what ya'll could do with my yard!!! It would prolly be easier if we moved eh??? Ya'll are wonderful!!!

Pixie

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Mao, we had two frosts hit last spring that weren't expected like this one. I lost my hydrangea buds then and I probably did again. They look crisped. It is so frustrating. I think that we are just in some weird little trough that gets hit with quick frosts in the early hours. I love your ideas for the hobbit house! That is very cute!

Your DH is really making headway with the new garden. That is great news. it is hard to get them to slow down a bit when they see the light at the end of a project, isn't it?! I was chuckling at myself with the list that I typed of the seeds that I sowed, think I have enough white planned? I have recently fallen in love with white blooming plants. I like how they contrast against the darkness of the foliage around them and with the mulched in beds. I have tons of colorful plants in my ws containers so I hope it will balance out nicely.

I hadn't heard about a frost for Tuesday yet. I will need to catch our forecast. I have some of last years babies getting ready to bloom. I had a lovely surprise when I saw that my lungwort has nice buds all over it. I have never seen it bloom and would hate for it to get zapped!

• emsgarden
    16 years ago

Evening all - hope everyone had a great day!

Wow! chicken houses, root cellars, amish rockers - i am turning just a shade of green over here! I love all the ideas, ya'll are so creative! I am very limited in creativity! Can I send ya'll pictures of my house so you can help me finish remodeling?? LOL

Mao - love your chicken coop and all of your ideas. The rooster is adorable!

Bunny - That is going to be so cool when you are finished and love the idea of the upstairs patio.

Tracy - You are so creative! Great ideas you have come up with. I hope you have better luck with your black dragon than I did - its been over two months and still nothing growing. I'm going to try again. Just havent gotten to it yet.

I dug up two sections in the yard and was very surprised to see that I actually have one section that has great soil. Even had lots of fat lil earthworms in it. Its in full shade against the fence under the largest oak tree. Plan on putting the hostas there. What mixes good with hostas and likes shade? The other section I was digging today will be for flowers. Sowed 75 more peat pellets today - out of lil potting cells and soil - we'll see how they do. Dh told me this evening that he will build another raised bed for my veggies this weekend - yea! I already have stuff to fill it.

I did get my partner's address today so hopefully will be getting to the post office tomorrow, should be saturday at the lastest. Hope she likes her surprise gift :)

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Em, aw shucks ma'am, you're making me blush... lol! I have astilbe, turtleshead, polemonium, ferns, columbine, lungwort, hydrangea and bleeding hearts plus a bunch of other stuff planted in my shade garden. Some of the sunny plants do well in mine too with a few hours of dappled sunlight. I have some iris, butterfly bush, multi-blue clematis, some integrifolia clematis, midnight masquerade dalylily, creeping phlox, campanulas...

I was getting worried about my bradford beauty ferns, they weren't popping and I finally got a good look and sure enough they are just a little slow to unfurl. Whew!

I was cracking up when I was packaging a bunch of plants for a trade today. I had my plastic wrap down on the counter with the wet paper towels, just placed the plant on it for wrapping up and out comes a big fat worm slithering along trying to make an escape. I just busted up! I scooped him up and brought him out to the garden to get back to work making my dirt nice and happy.

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yay! It's Friday! Woo-Hoo!
    I've got a little poem I'd like to share in honor of the day (and Tracy's worm episode)
    A-Hem:

Now, ain't that just CUTE?? :O)

Okie Dokie....just want to remind everyone:

NEWBIES:
    please let us know when you send to your GWE. Just helps us all keep track of things. Also, please post when you receive from your GWE. If you'd like to share what you received, we'd love to hear. :O)

GWE'S:
    Please wait to send to your newbie until you have received from them. Also, please post when you receive & when you send. Again...if you'd like to share what your newbie sent, please feel free to do so (and make the rest of us jealous!). :O)

Thanks everyone for making this such a great swap!!

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    16 years ago

Cute little worm, is it?
    Tracy,
    I'm drooling here, no listing what you have for plants anymore!! I'm trying to grab a box to mail your goodies. I hope you like the things that I have chosen for you. I'll post later and let you now if I found a proper sized box to mail in. I have a few at work but called out sick for the first time in almost 4 years. It's just to darn nice out to spend the day in work. Have a great day ladies.

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Lisa, I can't promise that I won't post my lists anymore! How else will I make you drool? How about you tell me what you like out of that there list and maybe it will find it's way into your mailbox???? Hmmmm? That is so nice that you are playing hookie! There is nothing like knowing you could be suffering through a work day while you do something fun for yourself! I am sure that I will love what you are sending... I can't stand the anticipation! LOL!

Have a great day in the garden!

Tracy

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    16 years ago

Tracy,
    I think the only thing on that list that doesn't make me drool is creeping phlox,not only did it not grow well for me. I KILLED IT!!! I don't know how but I did. I think, I'm not sure that I have campanula,does it come in both short and tall varieties? I have white and blue low growers and a tall grower that were named the same and that sounds familiar. I planted them last year but didn't save the tags. I didn't find garden web until this past January so names weren't important to me. I went on looks alone, how shallow!I am sending your box out today. I hope you like what I picked for you. I'm sending a few things in case you dont like something. Have a great day!!!

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Aw, bunny, I love the little glow worm poem! I got sunshine coming out my bum now too! lol!

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

{{gwi:1262726}}

Lisa, this is my creeping phlox that I have planted in my rock garden. It gets full hot sun nearly all day long and is super happy there. The ones that I have planted in my shade garden are being very slow to sprout this year. They are coming but very slowly. I took this picture this morning. These come in two different forms paniculata (tall, larger leafed) and subulata (creeping, low growing, usually evergreen).

I do have some phlox paniculata that I received from a friend but it is unknown too. From what I remember it is a bright pink, nearly fuschia color. She just gave the division to me late last summer so it hasn't bloomed in my garden yet.

The campanulas (bell flower) do come in small compact varieties and tall varieties as well. Mine are compact. I divided the heck out of them last summer and the small divisions look like they haven't come back. The large division looks nice and healthy though. The seeds I planted this spring are for the larger varieties.

It took me a while to start writing them all down and try to keep track of them. I didn't really care that much until I came to GW. It helps to know species for private trades. Some members look for very specific information to help make sure they are receiving the right hybrid, cultivar, genus species, etc. I now keep a map of my flower beds. I try to remember to add each new plant to the map and update it when something gets moved around. I number the plant and place a circle on the map with the number in it. Then I keep a "key" with the plant name along with the genus info. I don't always keep up with it and then kick myself when I don't have it to refer to! lol! I can't wait for your box! I know I will love what you sent! You are such a sweetheart!

• pat_6
    16 years ago

I've enjoyed reading all of your posts. (I love that window greenhouse so much I'm thinking of putting one on my project list!)

Since there's been some mention of lasagna gardening, I decided that I would post pics of my side yard, which is a work-in-progress.

I snapped the first pic, when I was just deciding that it was more work than I was up for to strip sod from beneath the mature maple tree. (Those hosta are just there because I had no where to put them and the seed for this bed was germinating in my brain.)
    {{gwi:1262728}}

Instead, I put down several layers of newspaper (some of which I collected from my local library because, as you can see, it's a big area) and a thick layer of mulch in the spring of 2006. I planted through the paper in the fall of that year.

The second pic was last spring, when most new plants were leafing out. As you can see from the wheel barrow, etc, I didn't "prepare" for the photo. Still, I think it's a great transformation.
    {{gwi:1262729}}

I've prepared many beds in the traditional manner. This was SO much easier! I had very few weeds either last season or this spring. It's working great for me.

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    16 years ago

Tracy, your package went out priority mail this morning. I do hope you like something in there.
    Hazelnut,
    I got my prize! Thank you so much for sending them to me. Maybe someone can answer me. Do daylily seeds require cold strat? I hope not cuz I got a bunch from hazelnut and cant wait to plant them.

• sassybutterfly_2008
    16 years ago

Pat, what a georgous stone patio/walkway you made!!! That would look fantastic in my yard.. wanna come down?? lol

~Wendy

• pat_6
    16 years ago

Thanks, Wendy! I did that flagstone project and the garden bed completely by myself. (Which is why it wasn't 100% finished in the photo. It took me some time to level that many stones!) My birthday is in March and my husband thought I was crazy when I said, "I want a truckload of hardwood mulch and enough flagstone to do this area." For me, it was a better choice than expensive jewelry.

I once lived in GA for a few years. I worked for a company out of Lawrenceville, called Precision Planning, Inc. (An engineering company.) I didn't live in that area though. I worked in the St. Mary's office down in the SE corner of the state. It was way too close to the Okefenokee Swamp!

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Pat, your patio and garden are beautiful! You made an amazing transformation. It is hard to believe that is the same piece of land! Fabulous! I want to jump in the picture and pull up a chair on your patio for a nice visit! Thank you for sharing your results with us!

Lisa, thank you sweetie! I can't wait for the mail! The mailman better watch out, there might be a Tracy Attack from the bushes by the mailbox! lol!

I looked up seed germination for daylilies for you and found this article for you. I will post the link

Here is a link that might be useful: daylily seed germination