SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ymaddox

UPDATE: Adopt-A-Newbie ongoing list 3

ymaddox
12 years ago

This is a variation of the adopt-a-newbie formally arranged swap. At some point in the past I think this version was done at least once (maybe by accident, but it worked nicely), and a few folks helped keep the newbie list maintained. I'm hoping that we can make that work again.

***Newbies are newbies if they are truly new to Gardenweb, OR are not new to GW but new to trading and seeds, OR could really use help with seed access. Adopters can adopt whomever they please, and so can select according to their own wishes and criteria.

These adoptions are for seeds primarily (though can include plants too during the appropriate season for that zone).

***STANDARD AMOUNT FOR AN ADOPTION = 12 PACKS OF SEEDS***

(Though you can certainly do more if you have more to share.)

Costs to the Newbie:

--will pay the postage to the person sending them seeds (or plants) in advance.

--"seeds only" are the easiest and cheapest postage at about $1.50+bubble envelope to $4.00 and bubble envie included by the veteran)

--"plants too"; needs to be Priority Mail; can run from about $5 to $14

--payment of the postage can be done by check via mail or by easier/faster paypal.

Newbies:

--your email address must "show to members" on your member page in order to be put on the list. make sure your email setting is correct (see link below)

--make sure you have things listed on your Want List (see link), so we know if we have things in your interests. You can list, for example, Black Hollyhocks, Hollyhocks, or Old Fashioned/Cottage type flowers, or Things for shade or perennials, and such. (specific or general, anything helps someone match to you)

--include your zone & state.

Helpful veterans and I:

--will compile and post lists of the newbies+zone+state every so often.

--will check through recent posts and remove those who have been adopted from the new lists when compiling.

--to make things go bold, post before the words (removing the extra spaces I put there), and after the words (again, removing the spaces). This will help folks find the most recent newbies-to-adopt list.

Traders who want to adopt-a-newbie:

--Try to pick a newbie that matches your zone / climate/ region so that the seeds you know best and have to offer have a chance of growing there for the newbie. Having similarities in garden interests is a plus too.

--POST HERE FIRST announcing who you are adopting BEFORE you contact the newbie. This is for their protection.

--then email the newbie, introducing yourself, providing your screen name, zone, town, state, and offering the adopt.

Newbies who get contacted for adoption:

--check back here to see that the adopter has posted here. (I do not recommend engaging in an adoption with someone who has emailed you but not posted here on this thread. This is for your safety.)

--check the Rate & Review forum regarding the person who contacted you (for protection; this is also why it is required for the adopter to post here not just contact you). This is found at: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/raterev/

Use the search box in the center of the page (below the posts) inputting the person's screenname.

--proceed with the adopt, and arrange details with the veteran. (At this point, that usually means them offering things to send, and indicating about how much postage that will cost, and how you should send that postage.)

--send them the postage for what they're gifting.

--After receiving the package, thank your veteran & post here too (so we know the adopt worked through).

--Post good feedback/thanks for your adopter on the Rate&Review forum.

--Tina

Comments (72)