SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luxrosa

What is your favorite white Rose? June 2017

luxrosa
6 years ago

Now that I have the perfect yellow rose;' Marachal Niel', I'm continuing my quest for a favorite white rose.

I'm looking for;

beauty of bloom

-fragrance

-beautiful leaves, in abundance

- attractive growth habit.

So far my A+ list includes:

1. white ' Rose of York' syn. Alba Semi-Plena

More petals cannot sway me, for it is the golden boss of stamens that give a bright and sunny note to the roses on the bush which makes me prefer this rose over maxima. Marvelous fragrance. Blue-green foliage which gets more blue towards the base of the plant. All this and ornamental red flagon shaped hips, shaped like the old glass Coke bottles, in Autumn that bedeck the rosebush as if it were covered in jewelry.

2. Rosa moschata. Mine is in full bloom now and I am entranced by the fragrance and starry white beauty of the mass of blooms. Abundant gorgeous foliage, one of those old roses I'd grow for its foliage alone, even if it never produced a single bloom.

3 Boule de Neige , such a darling rose, red rosebuds open to snowy white blossoms. Fragrant. Although it has an upright growth habit it has enough attractive foliage so the bush doesn't appear overly stiff. I hope to buy two and have them flank the entry path to my front porch.

4. Westside Road Cream Tea Gorgeous blooms in profusion and one of the most fragrant Tea roses. Thank you Phillip Robinson, who found this growing on the side of Westside Road in Northern California.

5. Secret Garden Climbing Musk'

I miss mine. I had to get rid of it because it was covered with p.m. , when my garden was in a moister environment.

6. cl. Mrs. Herbert Stevens. Bred from the Old Tea rose 'Niphetos' and much easier to grow I believe. At the Berkeley Botanical Garden they grow this as a self supporting bush. of c. 9' tall by 7' wide. It blooms early in spring with M.A.C. and continues blooming apace with the true Tea roses through Autumn. Nice moderate scent of mixed floral with an end note of lemon flower. Pretty leaves.

7. Sombruiel' the climber.

B list

Mme. Jules Bouche blooms are pretty enough but I feel like pasting a few more leaves on the bare spots of canes, and it is very upright and stiff in growth habit.

I have admired 'Snowbird' for the loveliness of its blooms as well as its strong scent, and although I am prejudiced towards Old garden Roses I would grow Snowbird if I could get cuttings.

I would love a white Moss rose, there's one at the Sacramento Cemetery I saw last year that had tons of moss and a nice scent to the blossom as well, but it is not in commerce and I've never seen it sold there either. I can't remember its name right now.

Might someone suggest a white remontant Moss Rose that is in commerce?

Thanks,

Lux.

Comments (10)