SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mawizz

Tall pantry cabinet door got dinged from installers today :(

MaWizz
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I didn't want to let it go so mentioned it right away. Head guy said he will try and fix it... Yikes! I assumed he would just get a replacement door no? I was hoping he would just replace. Am I being too fussy? I know dings will happen but it's only ok if I make them ;)

Comments (53)

• MaWizz
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Here is a close up

I'm not touching it ... but I took this with flash on and it almost looks like they tried rubbing something over it and actually made worse :( am I being picky pants?

They don't seem to be real careful and almost seem to be working hasty. I walked by kitchen and saw one guy hit the chandelier with the ladder. I decided to go elsewhere and busy myself so I wouldn't know ;)

• MaWizz
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Anglo it is smaller than a dime...it's between chest and neck area so too close to my eyes! And it's the first cabinet to your left in the kitchen and kind of in the middle of rail piece. It would be just a matter of getting a new door. I wish I could just flip it but the hinges? It's stained so nice too ugh

btw I almost didn't have the heart but DH said your the customer and you aren't happy about it tell them now and see what happens...true if I didn't say something I'd regret it. But I still feel bad they are hard workers and have done a great job. In fact better than I expected!

Can't they just replace these doors with the company? Or does it come out of their pocket or eventually mine I guess ... I'm nervous because the lowers and counter tops aren't even in

i think I should go away while they work

• Related Discussions

Cabinets being installed TODAY!!! Yippee

Q

Comments (21)
    Looks like it's all coming together wonderfully. Can't wait to see it with all the cabinets and the Cambria installed. I've been trying to get to a local showroom that has the Cambria on display, as I've only seen it online but I like the way it looks.
    ...See More

Question about tall cabinet installation. Need advice.

Q

Comments (15)
    Yes, the doors are staying where they are but the trim will be narrower. I had intended on keeping the doors and trim white; the cabinets are quarter sawn white oak so whatever scribe I do will match the cabinets but not the door trim. The freezer is built in (Thermador tower) so what we're really dealing with is two tall cabinets. As I said before, the kitchen's been demo'd to the studs so the space can be made to accomodate the cabinets exactly but I'm sure you'd still have a slight gap (1/8-3/16") that needs to be dealt with. The KD seemed to think that my GC could make them fit just right. I don't know if she was thinking about feathering with spackle or what. I'll call her tomorrow and see. But the more I think about it the more it seems to me that some kind of trim will be necessary. My GC is pretty creative, so I'll also see what he says tomorrow. Wish I'd talked to Casey in October.
    ...See More

Tall pull out pantry

Q

Comments (13)
    My vote is 100% for opening to the side. Less expensive, more useable storage, anyone can operate. Another thing about a pullout ... I do not think (not sure) the shelves are adjustable. In a side opening pantry, you could add more shelves so to minimize the wasted "air" space between the shelves. When I see pics of pullouts, all I see is the wasted unused space. Pullouts are useful when you are putting it between two things that cannot be moved. Lovetocook is a good example ... Her pullout is between the fridge and another cabinet (that opens to the side). Some people use them between a fridge & a wall. My vote is for resurrecting old threads. But I am an old timer here from when the number of threads was at a premium. It sure was easier to search then !! Instead of a bazillion results returned when you try to do a search.
    ...See More

Got dinged again for being my own GC

Q

Comments (21)
    Elphaba - I think it helps if you find a way to be on site as much as possible. That's hard to do - so you feel like you are doing something (not *watching* them!), but still being available. This morning I went to the house early to start the fire in the stove, so it'd be warming up for the first crew to arrive. I answered some questions while I was there, discussed some minor issues. Later I went back out to sign for appliances and since I was there, I was able to answer more questions, etc. I always try to compliment them on their work as well - you know, keep things happily moving along. One stray observation about this GC thing - some days it's been easy. Slow at times. But as we're coming down the home stretch here, you know what I'd like? The chance to take a shower/relax during the day and know I won't be interrupted. But I'm always ready for the phone to ring. And it often does. It's been a wild ride, and I'm glad we've done the GC thing though.
    ...See More
  • Fori
    6 years ago

Ohhh that will be hard to cover but maybe they can. Let them try and then get a new door if it's not good enough.

MaWizz thanked Fori
  • MaWizz
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes I agree Fori but what if they try and say there you go all fixed?! Darn it..wish it were in a different place. I watched a video on how to fix dings. It looked pretty cool and I think may have worked had they not tried to mess with it :(

• Stan B
    6 years ago

There is something to be said about the now bygone distressed fad ... this would have just added more character. I think it will be hard to repair it. It is easy for them to order a replacement door. You can even leave the dinged one up until the new one arrives.

MaWizz thanked Stan B
  • MaWizz
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Stan I think I will feel better to just replace it ... even if I have to pay more, otherwise it will drive me crazy. Also, you gave me a great idea let's not replace with a new one until they bring those counter tops in!

What I don't understand is why they don't cover them somehow when working. I have even brought them moving blankets to use and they are nah we're good.

I'm sure the odds of it happening are quite high but let's have oppsies in inconspicuous places :)

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

They did it, they replace it, they pay for it. DO NOT feel guilty about "all their hard work"! They were PAID to do all that work - it was not a gift to you!

Things happen during installation and even during ordering. It is THEIR JOB to get it right and make you happy!

MaWizz thanked Anglophilia
  • rantontoo
    6 years ago

I think the only way to fix that so you cannot tell where it is will involve someone trained in furniture repair that is skilled with melted colored wax repairs. Installers drilled and attached a door on the wrong side in my first kitchen...36 years later, I still cannot tell where the wrong drill holes are.

MaWizz thanked rantontoo
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

A skilled repairperson could make that inconspicuous.

MaWizz thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • runs_with_scissors6
    6 years ago

Nope, couldnt live with it. I waited a long time for my fabulous kitchen and worked very hard to save the money for it. A door isnt going to cost them that much. Nope, nope, nope.

MaWizz thanked runs_with_scissors6
  • Najeebah
    6 years ago
    If they make it disappear, all's well, and if they don't, they replace it.
    **Make this clear to them from the start**
    MaWizz thanked Najeebah
  • barnoyfamily
    6 years ago

I agree with rantontoo - a skilled repair person could make it invisible. There used to be someone like that at a fine furniture store in our area. There were some issues when we had a very expensive bedroom set delivered. After he came out to make the touch ups, we couldn't find where the repairs were made at all! I'd call around to fine furniture stores and ask them to pay for the repair - most likely much less $ than the cost of a new door.

MaWizz thanked barnoyfamily
  • PRO
    Out Islands, Inc.
    6 years ago

Have them hire a furniture repair person. That is something that is pretty easy to hide, especially on that wood color. It will be made nearly invisible. No problem.

MaWizz thanked Out Islands, Inc.
  • Najeebah
    6 years ago
    well op?
    MaWizz thanked Najeebah
  • MaWizz
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ok so an update and another ding!

So when my kitchen guys arrived several days after this first incident the head guy says you said there was a ding? And I said yes here. honestly I had calmed down over the days they were not here working and I think It helped me having a cooling off period lol. It also helped to get all your advice/feedback that it could be resolved and it also helped take my focus off it to just be happy with the big picture knowing there would be a resolution. So I kid you not he says oh that? Pulls out a black sharpie fills it in and wipes it. It actually did look better but still a small ding and again in the big picture I was like fine please let's get this d@mn kitchen done already! Sooooo the guys worked this last Saturday and left me with 2 more dings in another cabinet! I'm sick and want to cry. They already touched it up and didn't tell me about it. I noticed it today when going to get a dish from that cabinet. Really! I just want to cry now 2 cabinet doors with dings! No! And the counter tops aren't even in! What's gonna happen when they bring those in? This is not acceptable right?!

• Najeebah
    6 years ago
    How were the second dings touched up? Can you share pictures?
    MaWizz thanked Najeebah
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

These guys are idiots. Not only for dinging the cabinet, but for allowing the customer to see it.

You never let customers see mistakes. Put a piece of masking tape over it with an authorative " Do not touch!" or some such thing written on it. Why? Because, like an animal cruelty video, the customer can never "unsee" the mistake. Get a finisher in there and forget about it.

I bounced a metal clamp into a stainless steel sink that I'd just installed, putting a nice scratch in it. I stopped everything and fixed it. The customer never saw it and never objected.

I've had granite guys tell me they've broken tops, loaded them back on the truck, and brought them back repaired all without customer objection because the customer never knew.

There is nothing remotely unethical about this. Anything else is business suicide as these jokers are about to learn.

• MaWizz
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Looks like second dings touched up same way because looks like black ink outside of the ding mark :(

Yes they are idiots Joe and your stories make me cringe but I guess if I can't see there's nothing to say.

Wouldn't or shouldn't they cover the doors while working so that won't happen or put the doors in last? What am I missing!?! My DH says will just pay them less ...I said No I dont want dings! and would even pay more even when it's not my fault! But I'm pissed cuz I paid for new doors and I want new doors! The work isn't near done what's next? I seriously want to take all the doors off!

At this point I feel like saying these 2 doors with dings need to be replaced because this is unacceptable and any more dings will be handled the same way ...Is that fair? What would you do?

• Najeebah
    6 years ago
    What was that about the chandelier... "I decided to go elsewhere and busy myself so I wouldn't know" Haha, still cringe at Joseph's statement? :)
    MaWizz thanked Najeebah
  • nosoccermom
    6 years ago

I would ask for new doors. When I got my white kitchen a long time ago, there were dings, too. They touched them up with white paint, and I didnt make a fuss because I figured with two little kids, I'll probably have a lot more soon.

Well, it actually was extremely hard to damage the paint despite tricycle riding etc, so the original dings were the only ones for a long, long time.

After about 2-3 years the touch up paint turned yellow, making the damaged drawers and doors quite obvious.

Always bugged me that I didn't insist on replacement doors/drawer fronts.

MaWizz thanked nosoccermom
  • suzanne_sl
    6 years ago

1) Door replacements are not all that expensive. I would try using the repair kit that should have come with your order to see if that works first. If that doesn't do it for you, ask for replacements, although I'd worry a bit about the color match.

[We accidentally drilled a hole in a cabinet on the wrong side. After some bad words were said, I used the repair kit to fill and stain the hole. I'd have to do some careful hunting to find it now.]

2) We DIY'd our cabinet installation. We took the doors off before we installed the boxes and then put them back on afterwards. Mostly we took the doors off because those cabinets weigh 5 tons, but also because the doors flap around while you're moving the cabinet - they're in the way of getting things screwed in place and they pinch your fingers. Unless your cabinets are flyweight or your guys have gorilla muscles, I don't know why they'd leave the doors on.

Actually, I do know why they might not take them off: I took blue tape and numbered every door/drawer and the matching opening. That takes time and time is money. The money they saved may cost them the price of 2 doors.

MaWizz thanked suzanne_sl
  • MaWizz
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Nosoccermom I thinking the same. I've had plenty of cabinets without dings! And I said to DH I don't even think we would ding them like that! I am worried about stain match too but c'mon when I signed for new cabinets I didn't ask for the distressed look! I paid for new cabinets! No dings! If you can't work cafefully cover them! Grrr!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

"...Joe and your stories make me cringe..."

Cringe? You should read my 1st place fiction.

• Najeebah
    6 years ago
    Good stuff there, Joe!
  • Stan B
    6 years ago

My kitchen designer took off doors and removed drawers when the flooring guy and counter guy were working. She was OK with having them up when the tile guy was working and when the general contractors were finishing off electrical, appliances, etc.

MaWizz thanked Stan B
  • MaWizz
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Wow that's good Joe!

that sounds like a good idea Stan I just don't know if they would do that now?

Ok so guys are coming back today after 1 pm what should I say to them regarding the damage? And any going forward? Should I suggest taking all the doors off? I know that took quite a bit of time with all the adjustments :/

• nosoccermom
    6 years ago

You say, "I'm not happy about these dings because they are still very visible and I'd like new doors."

And: "What do you suggest to prevent future damage?"

Who knows, maybe they can put cardboard over the cabinets.

(Actually, potential for damage may depend on what's still to do)

PS. My point was that the repair kit paint yellowed after a few years.

• cpartist
    6 years ago

You say, I want these doors to have no dings and if you can't get the dings out, I want new doors. I paid good money for NEW cabinets, and with dings, they do not look new. How are YOU going to fix the problem?

MaWizz thanked cpartist
  • MaWizz
    Original Author
    6 years ago

nosoccermom that is exactly what I want to say but I think I'm nervous because I dont want to piss them off for all the work they are doing :( I some cases they are going above and beyond and often wven checking with me if there is a question but other times when they do stuff like this and/or completely blow off scheduled work it really ticks me off. We do have a good relationship overall so just don't want to sour that. I'm not big into the repair idea because I don't feel like that will last or may look worse :( weird to feel bad about what they did wrong :(

• MaWizz
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Cp I hear you I think it's easier said then done :( I really don't want a repair I want a replace. I just need to say it. Door with dings are not new doors!

• sunsoleil
    6 years ago

I'd have to have them replaced. My cabinets are 7 years old and I don't have any dings comparable to those.

MaWizz thanked sunsoleil
  • cpartist
    6 years ago

So what happened?

MaWizz thanked cpartist
  • MaWizz
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Sad but they never showed :( I had totally made up my mind when they came today I was going to very nicely say I love your work but these doors with dings need to be replaced and if there is anything I can do to help reduce future damage on the others I'd be glad to help. Also I was going to suggest let's not put up any more doors, panels or drawer fronts until the remaining work is done to reduce the risk of damage.

But yes they didn't show. I was raging! This has happened at least a half dozen times as of late! No shows! Other times late by hours! Its getting worse. It's ridiculous. This is the worst house crew I've had. At first I was flexible as We had a slow start waiting for cabinets but then some came and then slow and then they got busy for a bit and we discovered some water damage so they slowed a bit but we only delayed them on lowers there was plenty to do! And they used that as an excuse not to move forward beyond the roof repair even tho I cleared them to move forward. Still patient I thought now no excuses since the roof is complete. But then they were late often, very late ... DH said call them! they promised they were on the way or didn't answer I would text them same thing they were coming this has happened days in a row! And no shows and now several! My DH is livid. I've been trying to nicely keep DH out of it because he would destroy this guy. He has said this is unacceptable, disrespectful, you can't make plans, it's unprofessional, our time is money and this is f-ing ridiculous about 100 times :( I've been trying to keep the peace but I'm now nervous if DH gets involved I may end up with a half finished kitchen then I really will cry. What can I do?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

i almost got away with fixing the granite that exploded when I pulled the sink without the customer finding out, but he came in the kitchen just as the Gorilla Grips were working.

When she came home from work, the top was fixed and I said nothing. I heard nothing but compliments either.

This isn't really a "mistake" as much as it is a "risk of sink replacement". Either way, it's better if the customer never sees.

• Claire Pope
    6 years ago

I am building a new home and if they ding my cabs they will be replacing. I was a contractor before retirement and I subbed out cabinets and would have demanded new doors if needed.

MaWizz thanked Claire Pope
  • MaWizz
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Joe I appreciate you sharing but agree that is more of s risk that I'm sure you explained may happen. It what is great is that you made it look like nothing happened. Nice work. :)

Claire I appreciate your comment. The guys say they are coming today and I'm standing my ground and asking for replacements.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

When you take your car in for service and the porter dings your door, you get a factory trained body man using factory paint to repair the door. You don't get a new door or car. Same thing here.

It's this "tough-guy" homeowner attitude contractors are trying to discover the easy way at qualifying, not the hard way here.

• MaWizz
    Original Author
    6 years ago

We get 2 new cars every year and never have they come with dings. I am getting a "new" kitchen Joe this is not a repair situation. Do you think I'm wrong asking for replacements? I signed up to buy new cabinets like the sample ...the sample didn't have dings. I'm not buying used.

• User
    6 years ago

First course of action is always repair, under any warranty anywhere. Get a ding in your DW? That's cosmetic, and not even covered by a warranty. If that new DW sits there and blinks at you without doing anything, the repairman comes out. Your new house has nail pops? They don't rip out the drywall. They send the painter to patch and touch up. Not paint the whole wall either.

As far as your new car not coming with a ding on it, well, what you can't see and don't know won't hurt you. A lot of new cars are damaged in shipping. And they are dealer repaired without anyone being the wiser that a paint chip was filled, or a fender replaced.

MaWizz thanked User
  • MaWizz
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Sophie are you telling me they can put new cabinets in and work here and bang them all up and then fix them all up as they go and those are my "new" cabinets I spent thousands of dollars on? These guys are not furniture repair men and who would pay for that? Sure as h@ll not me! And that will look exactly like factory finish and last just like a new door for the life of the product? Sorry but that's a thumbs down comment.

• traci_from_seattle
    6 years ago

Stand your ground. I think it's fully appropriate to insist on replacements.

MaWizz thanked traci_from_seattle
  • User
    6 years ago

FIRST course is repair. That doesn't mean that replacement is out of the question. Just that you have to follow the correct steps, in order, if you want that to happen and not pay for it yourself.

MaWizz thanked User
  • nosoccermom
    6 years ago

Well, first of all, there's a difference between asking for a new car when there's a dent and a replacement door or drawer front. Equivalent would be asking for a new kitchen or at least new kitchen cabinets.

Also, not long ago, I took my car in to get a dent fixed, and yes, they replaced the whole darn fender and sprayed it plus the adjacent door. Not just banged the dent out and painted over it. Sophie, you actually say the same above.

Second, they already tried the repair, didn't they?

Third, yes, if you can fix it so that it looks and performs like new, then I might accept it.

Fourth, when I got a new fridge and during installation, the door got scratched up, I sure wanted a new door and got it. Ditto when installer cracked the veggie bin.

• MaWizz
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Stupid I know but I just breathed a huge sigh of relief! My guys came to work today said their hello's and got right after it. Called me in the kitchen to show me how they had fixed the drywall that was bowed behind sink and is now flush and level with cabinets installed. Great! Close to templating! Woo hoo!

The head guy says what's the blue tape on the doors? I said "I see there is another ding in the cabinet here now from the work on Friday. These dings are really bothering me and I don't want any dings in my new cabinets. I said had it been down low or inconspicuous maybe it would be ok but I need these doors replaced." He said OK. I kept going with my spiel saying "I'm happy to help do what I can to protect the others going forward" Wait what did he just say?! He said OK! That was easy! He then says no problem. I want you to be happy. :) I smile he smiles even tho he probably wants to kill me ;) Geez, I'm really going to be a nervous wreck when counter tops go in. Just thought I'd share for anyone else going thru the same issue. Hope this helps.

• sunsoleil
    6 years ago

I'm so glad you spoke up. Your first photo indicated why you needed new doors. They obviously tried something to conceal it and made it worse.

MaWizz thanked sunsoleil
  • MaWizz
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Sunsoleil me too! Yes and actually the second ding drove me even more crazy because it's right by the sink where the sun shines in.

• PRO
    MDLN
    6 years ago

In medicine, when an error is made, we now encourage disclosure to maintain TRUST in the relationship. (Interestingly, it has also decreased the rate of litigation.)

When I find mistakes my GC made, and did not tell me about, it makes me wonder, "What else has he hidden from me, that I will find out about too late for it to be fixed?"

MaWizz thanked MDLN
  • MaWizz
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Mdln that's great I agree with that and that's how I like to roll. That article has the right approach.

I was pissed about the no shows lately and could have been a real b!tch about the dings but these guys have done great work when here (minus the dings), adapt, fix anything on the fly and easy to work with. I knew if I wanted replacements I needed to be myself and honest in my approach to them. Sure they could have said no but they've been doing this 20+ years. Now that's just me ... would they do that ? I don't think so. I'm sure they don't tell me everything and sometimes it might be better not to know but interestly enough when an issue comes up they get me involved for my opinion. But yes you wonder hmmm what did they not tell us?

• nosoccermom
    6 years ago

Good for you! They knew that you were right.