SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elphaba_gw

Got dinged again for being my own GC

elphaba_gw
10 years ago

Just got dinged again because I've tried to be my own G.C.
I just learned today when the Ikea cabinet installer guys arrived that I should have had baseboards installed before cabinets installed. Guess my lack of common sense is showing but didn't think. Oh well, I think I can have someone use spray foam after the cabinets are in - maybe reach in through the toe kick somehow? This isn't a major show stopper - probably still have saved a fair amount by being my own GC but still, I don't think it is worth the stress.

The biggest advantage to being your own GC is that you REALLY get to do it your way. And I DO like that. Any mistakes are MINE - I can't blame anyone which is okay.

Have used a great tile guy (who also did the total demolition with everything gutted) and a terrible electrician (for rough in, not bringing him back for finish) and very good plumber, and fairly good drywall guys. Also, along with design tips from GW, had the designer services available from Ikea do the drawings and listing of cabinets needed to be purchased.
Anyway, my tile guy was trying to be helpful in helping me "sequence" things but guess he forgot about the base boards. Not his problem.

Not doing this again. Will get a GC for the rest of the work we need after kitchen is finished.

But good news is that the kitchen cabinets should be installed by the end of the week. YAY! Then onto countertop and oven and cooktop and sink installs.

Did I say that it is a LOT of work being your own GC?
And did I mention that they won't be dry-fitting the fridge into the space so I won't be able to see really how well it fits. They can measure what the filler will be but would have preferred being able to check it out before they leave. If I would have had a GC, (or a dh who could move things around into place, etc. to check it out), I wouldn't be having to deal with this uncertainty.
p.s. The advantage of the GC from my viewpoint is all about timing of the worker skills. The GC can much more easily have electrician or plumber or carpenter on standby than I can for those things that might be small but still best to take care of before moving on.

This post was edited by elphaba on Mon, Dec 2, 13 at 10:27

Comments (21)