SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hopesprings_gw

Acting as my own GC?

13 years ago

We have a small (9 x 10) bathroom to remodel and have had some wildly varying quotes on it. ($12K to $20K to I can estimate but can't tell you the total until I'm into the project.) We purchased the tub, sinks and toilet last year and then had to fire the first contractor because he didn't do anything...literally.

My question: Is there any reason not to act as my own GC? We have a well detailed drawing (done in CAD) and samples, measurements and call-outs on all materials and layout, done by a professional designer. Once it is gutted, we need to have a cabinet built (non-standard size to maximum the space), have the plumbing moved (not far), have a bit of rewiring done to accommodate the redesign and then have the tile and the shower built. I can paint and my DH is handy, too. Just don't have the time or courage to do it all.

What potential potholes am I missing here? We have asked two other contractors to quote it, and one actually said to us there isn't much profit in this job except for the tile. Is all of the profit in contractors buying and reselling materials and fixtures??

Thoughts?

Comments (8)