SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
homechef59

Acting As My Own GC, Missing One Peice of the Puzzle

homechef59
9 years ago

I am doing a kitchen renovation. I won't be moving any walls. I will be taking the walls, floor and ceiling down to the studs. I have hired subs, all of whom I have used before in various projects with one exception, the electrician. The electrician came to me highly recommended by another sub that I trust. We have lived in many homes through the years, most of them historic. We have also built a few homes from scratch. I would call us experienced renovators.

My question involves which trade to assign a task. We have Vent-A-Hood kitchen exhaust system with hood. We are going to reinstall this appliance. It is a high end product, in good condition and properly sized for the application.

When the previous owner installed it the exhaust duct was run up to the second floor and should have been vented out the roof. Instead, it was run half way up the wall of the second floor, a rag stuffed into it and there it sat for the last 10 years.

Of course, this is unacceptable. The plan is to open up the drywall upstairs, accessing the chase and extending the metal exhaust flue to the roof. At that point, I will have my roofer open the roof and join up with the appropriate stack, boot, etc.

What I don't know is which subcontractor to assign the task of running the metal pipe up to the roof. Who gets this job? HVAC, plumber, carpenter, me, or other. My first guess would be HVAC because sheet metal is involved.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Comments (15)