SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jzinckgra

Who has been their own GC before?

13 years ago

Long story short, we are hoping to build a 2400sqft stick/log sided home this year. We found a builder and saw some of his work and was impressed. We have not signed any contracts yet. It all started the usual way which was to design some plans, make mods and finalize. No issues there for the most part.

The potential problem has to do with the subs. At first, our builder was getting some quotes from his subs (perhaps friends). His excavation and electrician quotes were very high, so I offered to get some sub quotes down where we are going to build, which is ~1.5hr from where his subs are. He was fine with me doing this, but has emphasized that any mistakes made by my subs will not be his fault. I told him I understand that, but he has to put himself in our shoes. We're trying to save as much money as possible and his subs are just too expensive. That's not to say we're going with the cheapest, which may compromise quality.

Spoke to builder yesterday and he basically told me I would be the GC under the conditions. I asked him if he would be at the site throughout and he said "yes and no". I offered to do most of the communicating between him and my subs, such that he would give me a weeks notice before he needs, say the electrician, then I would call the electrician and make the arrangements for him to be there. This doesn't sound all that bad. I am an organized person and can communicate well, it's just I can't be at the job site everyday. Heck, with my full time job, I'll be lucky to be there 2-3 times/week. So my concerns rest on where the responsibility will mostly reside on the entire coordination/build between him and me.

I also decided to take his plans and get another material quote from another lumber yard. Again, the quote was much cheaper than where he got his from.

Just wondering who has been in this position before. I don't see myself as the fulltime GC, more of a quasi-GC. I know builders like for the most part to use their own subs, but his are too costly and I never even met any of them yet, while I've met all of my subs at least once so far. The alternative is going to another builder, but I don't want to start all over and I'm not sure another builder would be open to me providing my subs. Someone told me I should just shop around for a framer, since my builder, although a framer will essentially be doing just that and not much more. I tend to disagree a little in that I want my builder there throughout as much of the process as possible to answer questions a sub might have that requires his input or knowledge. Also, I want my builder to do a lot of the finish work in the house and not just frame the house, shell it in, then leave.

Are there any other options here? Advice? I guess I don't understand why he can't use my subs and still be GC.

Comments (15)