SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_28510257

j4c11's Spring Renovation

User
7 years ago

Having renovated my back yard last fall, I found out the hard way that the best time to seed cool season grasses is also the time when Poa Annua germinates in force. Seeding in the fall also means the earliest you can apply pre-emergent mid-November at the earliest, when it's too late.

The desirable grass failed to establish very well due to shade and some fungus problems, while the Poa had no such issues. I have decided that in order to break out of the Poa cycle I need to put myself in a position where I can apply pre-emergent early fall, and that means no seeding.

The problem

The plan

• Seed the back yard one half at a time so the dog has somewhere to run and play.
  • The back yard is shaded in the summer, which will hopefully help with the biggest problems with spring seeding: heat and summer weeds.
  • Use a mix of Traverse 2 fescue and Turf Blue HGT Kentucky Bluegrass. The bluegrass will hopefully make up for any summer losses in the fall.

A couple of weeks ago I fenced off half the yard and sprayed glyphosate killing the Poa and whatever fescue was there. Today I ran the dethatcher twice, cleaned the area and seeded fairly heavily. Also applied Urea/TSP/Potassium sulfate and sprayed Tenacity at 8oz rate and Propiconazole at 2oz/1,000 sq ft. Hope the chemicals make the seeds unpalatable to birds. Watered lightly and stomped the seed into the ground per dchall's buffalo theory. Rain in the forecast tonight so hopefully mother nature finishes the watering job.

This weekend I will spray the other half so that it can be seeded as well in 2-3 weeks. Summer will be upon us shortly.

Comments (57)